My Only Visit to Annapolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending one night in Annapolis (Friday night 7pm to 11am Saturday am). This may be my only trip to Annapolis. Concern: I have read that the waterfront is under construction. When we stand on our balcony at the Marriott will we be looking over a construction site? Question #1: I want to have dinner in your most historic fine dining restaurant-what would that be? Question #2: I want to have breakfast like a local-any suggestions? Question #3: I would like to learn what I can about the town. I would love a walking tour-any particular groups/guides you like? Question #4: Is the tour of the Navel Academy a worthwhile use of time? I feel a little disrespectful, touring while students are working. Am I off base with this misgiving? (Thank you)
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
LN

You should be seeing only a partial construction view. Views of Eastport and Spa Creek will still be fantastic.

If you'd like dinner in a very historic spot you might like Treaty of Paris located in the Maryland Inn. It's right on the corner of Church Circle. It's been known for good food ($$$) but good, make reservations.

Touring the Naval Academy is always worthwhile. I don't usually turn down an opportunity to walk the grounds as there's always something interesting to see. You might want to see the John Paul Jones crypt in the basement of the chapel there as well as the chapel itself.

As to breakfast, perhaps a light one at Chick & Ruths on Main St or maybe something from room service at the Marriott so that you can start your tour early.

All the government buildings are centered around State Circle and the oldest church in Maryland is on Church Circle (Episcopal 1670??).
There are many restored homes there such as Hammon Harwood and the Wm Paca house and they are fairly centrally located. At one point in time it was the nation's capitol.

Have a great visit!!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, LN!

I was hoping to get good feedback about a Naval Academy tour (and thank you for not calling me out on my spelling, yikes)

Your suggestions are very helpful.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Another vote for Treaty of Paris..very worthwhile IMO
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM
LN

Can't raise the roof over another's spelling when mine isn't anywhere close to perfect (it's Hammond-Harwood house) It always irks me a bit when people feel the need to correct others on spelling or pronunciation.

Treaty of Paris is in a VERY historic building and yet is always rated quite high.

As to the construction - it's primarily at the city docks where they're putting in new docks and really shouldn't affect your view of the Academy and surrounds (at leat that's what it was before I left Annapolis a couple weeks ago)
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Do not overlook the opportunity to visit the Naval Academy. The tour is not very long and well worth it. In April, the grounds should be beautiful. The students are used to visitors so don't worry about that. You will not be entering classrooms except the gym. You will, however, pass students going to and fro. There are always tidbits you pick up from a guide that you would never know if you just amble around. Do you know what a star on a NA athlete's letter means? If someone knows, don't tell. Save it for a surprise.