Reload this Page >

My NYC Itinerary, any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:35 AM
cb

My family (17 & 15 yr old daughters), will be in NYC the 1st weekend in August. We will arrive around 11'ish on Friday & will be staying at the Belevedere. I've gotten all my plans from this site (thanks to all!), and would like opinions if it's do-able. We've done all the touristy things on our last visit, girls mainly want to shop. Thought we would lunch at John's Pizza, then wander to the NYU campus (this is a reasonable walk, is it not?), as we have a 2 pm tour scheduled. After the tour we'll wander thru Soho, then head back to Times Square. It's my daughters 15th b'day, so we'd like to take her some place fun for dinner. Think they would like someplace where the waiters sing, have read about a few places, but would appreciate suggestions! On Saturday, we'll have lunch in Little Italy, wander Chinatown & hit all the places on Canal St that we missed on Friday. Think we have tickets to 42nd St, but am waiting to hear. Thought about Carmine's for dinner, but it seems to get pretty mixed reviews. We leave 3'ish on Sunday, so thought we would lunch at Carnegie Deli then shop at the H&M store. Thought about walking the Brooklyn Bridge, but am not sure that we'll fit it in. Any suggestions? Thanks to all for all the great advice on this board!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Statia

Hi CB:

Sounds very similar to our recent shopping trip with a teen, and it seems you have a great time planned.

We ate at Camrmine's and enjoyed it. Don't know what they do for birthdays, though.

Another thing we enjoyed after Little Italy and Chinatown, was a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Enjoying ice cream on the promenade under the bridge, overlooking lower Manhattan at dusk is a treat.

Our teen also enjoyed having lunch and a fabulous dessert at Serendipity (from the movie). We did have to wait in line, though, so you can anticipate that. But, we had to wait in line almost anywhere in NYC, so it was fine.

On the more touristy side, we also enjoyed the NBC Studio Tour. More interesting than I would have expected, and not overly long.

If tickets to 42nd don't come thru, Rent is good, just as long as you're ok with a tad bit more mature content. Our teen was 18 and she thoroughly enjoyed it. We also saw much younger teens there, as well, but it's a personal choice.

Have fun and report back when you return!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Jess

You could have the b-day dinner in Little Italy at Puglia's. There is someone (Jorge, I think) singing there all the time and I'm sure he would sing a birthday song for you. Carmine's is ok, but I think you can get that quality and atmosphere anywhere in the US. I would go for something a little more NYC, a little less suburban. Ruby Foo's can be very fun, although I find their great cocktails to be my favorite part of the dinner. Also, consider brunch on Sunday instead of lunch. If you want an ethnic/Jewish type meal, Barney Greengrass has really good lox and a great Nova & eggs. Sarabeth's has an amazing brunch, but you will have to WAIT.
If you eat dinner in Little Italy, you can have Dim Sum in Chinatown on Saturday, and if you are still hungry head to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory for funky flavors like ginger and red bean. Eat it in the park where all the elderly Chinese play mah jong.
If the girls want to shop, make some time for Canal street and the Pearl River Mart. You might want to head to a Zara(the one I know is on 34th between 5&6) for really fashionable clothing a really great prices. It is a little more $$ than H&M, but the clothes are MUCH better made and don't look as cheap/shoddy. They also have great accessories.
If you are looking at colleges it might be fun to head up to the Columbia area for a different vibe. It's very neighborhoody and quiet during the summer, but still beautiful. Also, unlike NYU there really is a campus.
Have a blast--NYC is a great place for a high school visit!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:00 PM
a

I think your schedule looks great!

I would definitely skip Carmines. NYC just has so many better restaurants. Since it sounds like you will be hitting a lot of Italian restaurants, you might want to try a more exotic type of food not typically found in your hometown. (i.e. Japanese, Korean, Brazilian)

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Statia

Another shopping idea is Century 21, although we found the crowds and chaos to be a bit much. However, if you have the time, you can find some great bargains.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:07 PM
rqf

It is a good 2 mile walk from John's Pizza to NYU campus. At a normal pace it is going to take in excess of 40 minutes so you will have to be finished with lunch by 1 pm. If it is one of those August dog days you will probably arrive coated with perspiration. You might be better off taking public transpotation or a taxi and save the walking for after the tour.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Anthony

Johns Pizza on Bleeker St. is 5 mins from NYU, NOT 2 miles!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:21 PM
xxx

Ellen's Stardust Diner at 51st and Broadway is a 50's style diner, with singing waiters. It would be perfect!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:43 PM
cb

Thanks for all the great info! I had considered that the walk to NYU might be a bit much so I did have the subway as Plan B. Also had Serendipity on the list, but was not sure where to put it! Read about Ellen's Stardust, which also has pretty mixed reviews. Is the John's on Bleeker Street as recommended as the one in Times Square? I will definitely report when we get back.. Thanks again..

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:49 PM
rqf

There are four John's Pizzeria in Manhattan. Since she is staying at the Belvedere I assumed she was referring to the one on W.44th near 8th. That is the one most frequently mentioned on this board.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:55 PM
wendy

but it's john's on bleeker that gets all the raves and is famous, i think. i love that place. you order pizza by the pie, not the slice. it's classic NY pizza. on a hot summer night, i love a pie and a pitcher. it's really close to NYU.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
x

I don't know anything about the one on Bleecker but the one on W.44th is a full blown restaurant. It is one of the most popular restaurants in the theater district. CB - which John's were you referring to?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:05 PM
mary jane

Do Not go to Carnegie Deli very overrated. Good broadway show Mamma Mia at Winter Garden. Go to New York ublic Library - worth the trip. Daffy is a great place for bargains on fifth avenue. Enjoy and take good walking shoes.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Paula

Your daughters are old enough to appreciate great art, which NYC has in abundance. I'd suggest working in at least one, if not 2 museums--the Met, MOMA, or Guggenheim would be my top three suggestions.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:16 PM
cb

x-

I guess I was originally referring to the John's on 44th, but it's good to know that there is one on Bleeker close to NYU. Maybe we'll just decide when we're there which one works out better logistically! Paula- you're right about the museums, we'll have to work that in too (maybe we need another day or two??)

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:28 PM
TvlPro

My 2 cents...
Be sure to swing by the Italian Grocery while in Little Italy. It's my favorite place, much better than most authentic restaurants in the area.
It's on Grand @ Mulberry (I think) and is a very small grocery store with a wonderful hot/cold deli.
They have prepared pizza crusts w/sauce all wrapped up. I buy a few to take home for family. The whole plane smells like pizza by the time we arrive.
Your itinerary is way too busy for our leisurely pace. I go to the city with my daughter (16) periodically and we just wing it. Last time (the first week of Sep/01)we had NO plan. We took the Staten Island Ferry, went to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, shopped til we dropped and ate, ate, ate. It was great fun.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:09 AM
lisa

I haven't been to Ellen's Stardust Diner, but another place with singing waiters and lots of fun is Mangia e Bevi on 9th Ave at 53rd Street. It's Italian, the food is good, but not great. They pass out tambourines and the patrons stand on top of chairs and sing and dance. It's really a lot of fun.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:11 AM
lisa

Oh yeah, Carnegie Deli is pretty busy. The Stage Deli nearby is the same concept, but a little nicer. You may still have a wait.

Since you're shopping at H&M on Fifth, you might as well check out all of the other fancy stores on Fifth. Your girls might also like Sephora -- just 1 block up from H&M -- a nice, cosmetics store with lots of different brands, everything can be sampled and no high-pressure sales tactics.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Anthony

FYIW:
The John's Pizza on Bleeker St. is THE ORIGINAL location - the others are all relatively recent branches.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:30 AM
rqf

MOMA is currently housed in Queens while major renovations are being made at the Manhattan location.

Considering the time constraints (arriving around 11, tour at 2) I would head for the John's on Bleeker as soon as I was settled into the hotel. Would use public transpotation to get there and then do the walking after the tour ends

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -