my new york trip report

Search

my new york trip report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my new york trip report

Just came back from New York, on 11/9/09, stayed at Crowne Plaza Time Square, during the world series, street lights changed to green but nobody was crossing time square streets, they all stopped to watch the world series on the jumbotrons, it was exciting. We did the East village food tour and the tenement (moores) tours, not as good as I thought it will be. I preferred the Public Library tour (it was given by a retired attorney, who spoke very well, and had wealth of NYC info.) must go to the library, it's not like anything that we have around here, it's more like a castle tour, the building is really beautiful, and the Central Park tour, and these were free. Maybe the subject matter was more interesting to me. Went to Le Bernadine for their 3 course Lunch for $69. Restaurant was beautiful, and the service very good. Food was just ok., dessert and bread was delicious. I liked Le Cirque better.
For evening entertainment the opera was actually the best I had seen, Turandot, fabulous staging, and the choir and singing, we went and stood in line for 3 hours for the $20 ticket, which ran out 3 people in front of us, went to the ticket line anyway to see what was available for purchase and got $80 seats for the last row in orchestra, they were still good seats but all the people that were in line for the $20 were at least 5 rows in fron of me and had better view of the stage. Mary Poppins the musical was very entertaining. Let's see what else... shocked by good quality and variety of food in some of the deli's, food sold by weight and was expensive, but still very unique tasty food experience. Made a trip to 21 Century Dept. Store having been told that it was a top designer outlet, but it turned out a dud, more like a huge TJMAX, too far from our hotel and too common. All in all another excellent trip to NYC.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 03:52 AM

jill - enjoyed your report. I know someone who just saw Turandot too and loved it. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Century 21 began in Bay Ridge in Brooklyn more than 30 years ago. Back then, there were great buys especially on shoes. I agree with you that it's a dud - can't understand the attraction. I never shop there. I prefer a good sample sale, but there are duds there too.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
yk

jill - so you got in line at 3pm for the Rush tickets for Turandot and still couldn't get it? Hmmm... I was thinking of doing that in Jan but I may change my mind. No interest in standing in line for that long!

I also enjoyed the Central Park walking tour by the Central Park conservancy. Thanks for the report!
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Thanks for all the info, Jill. My daughters want to go to NYC for a few days. Where do you stand in line for reduced tickets for shows?
I've always used ticketmaster, so this would be great.
Thanks, Joanne
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM

The Theatre Development Fund operates TKTS discount ticket booths at three locations. Complete information: http://bit.ly/AGxHe

For the Metropolitan Opera, visit http://bit.ly/1DtGlL and scroll down to "Are there any discount tickets?"
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Loved your report, we had dinner at Le Bernardin this past Mon. night, it was amazing. Meeting Eric Ripert was totally cool, I even get a photo with him in the kitchen. I'll get a full report of our time there a little later, we stayed 3 nights at The Plaza which was over-the-top wonderful. One day we saw Fergie and Penelope Cruz there which was fun. What an amazing city! ***kim***
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
kimamom - you always take such great trips and eat at such great places. Will you adopt me?
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I was going to "say something" to kimamom, too. I wonder, are you ever home? How many days a year do you travel?
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm curious kimamom. Are you a celebrity? Travel for a living? What business are you in that you get to stay and eat in such great places?

Please adopt me

MY