Search

My Identity Crisis (embarrassing)

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Identity Crisis (embarrassing)

Hi, fellow Fodorites!

I hope you wonderful people will bear with me while I clear up a misconception. This is rather embarrassing to me, because I feel kind of like the new kid being introduced to the class. Also, I thought the word "embarrassing" would get more people to read my post.

Anyway, it has become apparent to me, after replying to a number of posts, that several people think I am their friend "Dan". Actually, my name is Donna. (I think I only included it in one post.) Obviously, there is another poster with many friends on this forum, with a screen name similar to mine. I'm sure "Dan" would not want some of my "gibberish" attributed to him, so I thought it was time I cleared this up.

I am a middle-aged single mom with four kids (2 boys and 2 girls), ages 17, 19, 24 and 25 -- and 2 adorable granddaughters. I live in central Texas (near Waco), about 30 miles from the "western White House."

Most of my travel experiences were accumulated during a 10-year period, in which I "showed" cats, eventually traveling to 27 states (some on a yearly basis), Mexico (several times) and Canada. As often as I could, I dragged the kids along with me, sightseeing at every opportunity. Since the cats have all "retired", and the kids are older, we have had some even better travel experiences, venturing to Cancun, and returning to some favorite destinations. So far, I haven't done too much international travel, but there's always "next year." (I passed up a trip to England with a friend this year, so the kids and I could spend a week-plus in Seattle and Vancouver. Also, my art-student daughter is pushing to go to France or Japan. Maybe someday!)

I posted my first message on Fodor's about 6 weeks ago, and have greatly enjoyed reading the multitude of inquiries and replies posted on the forum. Many of you have been immensely helpful in answering my questions.

I look forward to continuing to share travel experiences with all of you, and also apologize to "Dan" for any of my questions or answers, that may have mistakenly been attributed to you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and have a nice day! -- Donna

P.S. -- If any of you care to share information about yourself, I would love to know "who" I am talking to!

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM

Hi Donna,

I think the reference to Dan is because your sign on name is very close to Dan's His is Dan_woodlief.

I've been referred to as a male but I'm a little old granny too

Utahtea
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
Dan

Hey, I'm another Dan! I live in New Orleans and originally hail from South Florida. Getting married next weekend, too! Yee-ha! Honeymoon in Barcelona!
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hey Dan,, congrats! I hope you enjoy Spain.
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:58 PM
emd

dwoodliff: I have gotten you confused with "dwoodon" (or dwooddon)-- the dwood- prefix is the same and it just looks so similar, that sometimes I think you are him/her. Then I catch myself. But that is only because I know Dwoodon from previous posts, where (god belss her/him) I have gotten good advice and help from that person...
Don't know what else you can do beyond your post, except change your log-in name. Perhaps better to do that now rather than later if you end up having to do that to stop the confusion, which is apparently bothering you already.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:36 PM

Oh Lordy, d...you have gotten me all mixed up too
I sort of kind of know two other Dan posters, one of whom I must have caused to think I was stalking the dear man, as I said that I knew him, didn't he remember me LOL...
So now you add your little ole self to the mix just to keep me confused ~
Pleased to meet you Donna, what kind of cats did you show?
My son lives in Japan, teaching English We love Paris, your daughter has some hard choice there!
Don't worry about identity crises here! There is one every hour or so, I believe
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
emd

Scarlett, you are so right, there is some broohaha all the time on here about who is who, or who isn't who. But I know who I am, and I do want others to know it is me-- so much so that I have "emd" as my fodors name on my home computer and "emd1" on another work-related computer at a differnet venue. But even that confuses some people, who post and ask me if emd and emd1 are different people.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM

You will always be just emd to me
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM

Congratulations, Dan!
dwoodliff (Donna)--nice to meet you! I know Waco, went 2 years to Baylor. i've shown cats, too! However, not to the extent you have! Mine were both in the household pet category. I love how beautifully the cages are sometimes decorated at the shows.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:20 PM

Hi Donna,

It can get confusing. I've been "hanging" around here for about 4 years and this is my third screen name. For the first couple of years I was "Sal". This was pre-registration and the flaming and trolls seemed to outnumber the legit posts and I lost interest for a while. Plus my dear mother passed away during that time and we weren't traveling much. When I came back about a year ago to start planning a trip to Europe registration was required. There were a couple of other Sal-somethings so I registered as Boston Lucy (for my Boston Terrier) but OF COURSE everyone thought I was from Boston. Soooo, what the heck I just signed on using my "real" name and DOB. I'm from central FL on the gulf coast.

Now that you know how old I am! I'll add that I have three kids (17, 15 and 11), have been married to the same dear man for twenty years. You'll like this--we have eight cats (strays seem to find us), three dogs, a bunny and assorted fish and thankfully a big family home and yard. I LOVE to travel, but HATE to fly so I whine alot about that. We've traveled extensively in the US and have been to Europe a couple of times. I lost my nerve and cancelled our trip to Italy and we're flying over the other ocean to HI instead this summer.

It's fun to get to "know" those who post here. For instance I never would have guessed Utahtea was a granny!

Hope we hear from others--new and regulars.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:40 AM
emd

Scarlett, I wish we could do gene transplantation of your "sweet" genes to some other people on here (and really to more people in the world). I have always wanted to ask you-- have you ever visited your son in Japan or do you plan to? I am taking my 13 yr old son there next spring.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:54 AM
OliveOyl

Hi Donna...your name is really close to Dan's so it's good you mentioned the similarity. Occasionally we get into a clothing question, skirt lengths or whatever and if you spoke up...there really could be some confusion. You may be living very near the town our son got married in last year...Gatesville is in that vicinity too. Pretty area on the edge of the Hill Country.

Jayne...speaking of names...is there another Jayne here with some numbers after her name or are you the only one? AND...is your b'day 1-11 or 11-1. Just curious...our son is 11-1.

emd...agree on the gene transportation with Scarlett's sweetness. She is a spark of happiness here, isn't she...! She needs to give lessons!

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:06 AM
emd

Oliveoyl: Scarlett is the "Mercedes-Benz" of niceness. Actually, I should say the Rolls Royce. She makes my day frequently, esp. on Freaky Fridays.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:14 AM

OMG! Stop it!! LOL~
I will be impossible to live with and someone on Fodors will surely come after me with a vengeance

It is only natural to be nice to someone who is also nice, so I guess it reaps it's own rewards.
The Yankee says I have a "smiley face"..so although I must admit I have my sulking times, smiling eventually wins out..it is just too hard to stay glum & grouchy.
So thank you soooo much for the compliments, you are pretty Sweet yourselves

*ps*
I do like the bit about the Rolls Royce
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Oops Donna! I called you Dan because I thought you were Dan_woodlief. Sorry! I do have that memory disease (CRS) and I just thought I remembered it right!

I also live in Texas, San Antonio, and have 2 boys and 2 girls. 21, 21, 9 & 7. It's nice to meet you.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:58 AM

What a nice conversation on a Sunday morning! And I have to chime in with my appreciation of Scarlett's pleasant and upbeat approach here.
You folks have made my day - or you would have if it weren't raining and cold up here in Toronto.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:49 AM

Meesthare, Bless your heart,you are too kind!
We are having an 86 degree day here but I hear rumblings of thunder coming our way..
dwoodliff...what kind of cats????
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM

Olive-
It's me, aka Sal/Boston Lucy. I think you're right--there is another "Jayne" with numbers. Oh well, maybe she'll see this and share enough info to tell us apart. Maybe I should re-register as JayneG11159--what do you think?

I'm 1-11--too bad, that would have made me almost a year younger.

Wasn't today a perfect FL day? I spent morning with my dad and boys fishing on the Skyway Pier--my youngest caught six mackerel! I'm off to fry 'em up and put aloe on everyone!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:51 PM

Scarlett,

I meant to tell you that I have this mental image of you as, of course, a lovely southern woman with dark hair and beautiful green eyes! Am I close?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM

Ahhh, Jayne, that is a more lovely Scarlett than I could be. I am just the opposite..but thank you anyway~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -