MY FIRST TIME AT NEW YORK. LODGING HELP.

May 15th, 2000, 06:41 AM
santiago

MY FIRST TIME AT NEW YORK. LODGING HELP.

I'll be my first time at New York for 4 days(June 6 to 9) and I would like to ask lodging suggestions in small hotels(simple but clean) located in a good(safe) neighborhood and preferently near the city main atractions.
Thanks in advance.

May 15th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Caitlin

If you don't mind a shared bath, you could try the Murray Hill Inn on East 30th St. $75 for a single, easy walk to Empire State Building; easy hop to Times Square; safe neighborhood. www.murrayhillinn.com.

May 15th, 2000, 07:32 AM
howard

Try the Mayfair on West 49th Street in the heart of the theater district, just off Times Square (212-307-5226)and conventient to many mid-Manhattan sites. I've heard good reports and it was just written in the NY Times Travel Section.

May 15th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Nancy

A friend of mine stayed at the Mayfair. You can't argue with the price, and it is very clean, but the rooms are tiny. And while the city in general is pretty safe, that is not the safest area at night.

Even though you said you want to be near the attractions, I suggest staying out of the fray--everything is just a subway or cab ride away. The Hotel Wales is a darling smallish hotel in the East 90s, a part of town referred to as Carnegie Hill. It's a lovely section of the city, quite residential, but with some nice shops and restaurants (Sarabeth's is great for breakfast). Very safe.

May 15th, 2000, 01:50 PM
howard

I'll have to disagree with Nancy's comment about the safety of the area of the Mayfair Hotel. Unless you're talking about the middle of the night (i.e., 2, 3 or 4 a.m.), that West 49th Street area is alive with people and safe.

May 16th, 2000, 05:21 AM
j.griffin

Seven ladies stayed at Hotel Edison in January.
We were very happy with it. It's right in the middle of the theater district, close to many attractions. Clean, safe, friendly, helpful, not tiny but not large. We'd stay there again. We love NYC. You'll have a great time. Our advice, if you find yourself in a questionable part of town--"try to look old, ugly and poor" We had no trouble doing that!!

May 19th, 2000, 06:01 PM
santiago

Updating the question. Thanks you very much for the precedent questions

Search this Thread