Search

My 50th birthday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 50th birthday

I will be celebrating my 50th birthday in May, any suggestions for a trip, 7-10 days with my 2 sisters?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM

How about an Alaskan cruise?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

What are your interests?

I wanted to go to Paris for my 50th earlier this year, but it wasn't in the budget. Instead, we went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks in June and had a really good time.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:48 AM
TC

I went to Mexico. But I agree, a bit more information about yourself and your sisters will help get better replies.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM

If you're looking for good weather in May, I would look to California. If you haven't been to California previously, I suggest you select from among San Francisco, Sonoma and Napa Valleys, Yosemite, Highway 1 from Monterey to Malibu, Los Angeles, and San Diego.

HTTY
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Depending on time of month, you may find a lot of cool, cloudy weather in the SoCal coastal areas. Early May should be great.
Or how about a 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise out of LA or San Diego?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Late May in Washington can be nice, but no guarantees on complete lack of rain. Usually gorgeous flower shrubs and trees in bloom for sure. I think a Seattle/Victoria/San Juan Islands itinerary would be very appealing for that kind of trip. Good combination of urban fun/island relaxation and a dash of international sightseeing in Victoria.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM

San Francisco. Then combine it with either Yosemite, Redwoods, or Big Sur.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I will be celebrating my 50th birthday in May, any suggestions for a trip, 7-10 days with my 2 sisters? "

Give us some help here . . .

Do you want a road trip?, a city stay sans car?, pampering at a resort?, adventure/hiking/outdoorsy?, posh/expensive?, budget/funky?, beach?, mountains?, shopping?, anything?

What sorts of places/activities do you enjoy???
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

My sisters and I took a trip to Maui this year, it was our first girls trip and we loved it. I have thought about doing Hawaii again, maybe another Island, I have been to Kaui, beautiful but no good swimming beaches.

I thought about New York - never been. We all love nature, culture (shows, museums, music, etc.)good restaurants, and the water. We are all professionals, teacher, hospital administrator, and I am a psychotherapist - we all have very stressful jobs and always need trips that will allow for some relaxation and decompression as well as fun. We all love music, dancing, reading, and art.

I have been given the option to choose, so Europe is also on the table - never been. A colleague suggested the Greek islands...

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I hate the cold so Alaska is not interesting to me - besides I have been there. The budget is flexible, but always looking for bargains. No road trips.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM

What about Palm Springs?
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM

I am celebrating my 50th this year in December. I live in Australia and will be spending it in NYC - never been , but have always wanted to.
If I had other options I would do - Paris, Lake Como, Italy (base yourself with easy 2 hour driving access to Florence, and Venice.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Millie, thank you for responding. I have had NY on my mind a lot. I have never been and thought it would be great to do the , theatre, fancy dinner, and shopping along with sight seeing would be great. Italy is a great temptation; however, I fear my hubby will be a little upset he is not going. My sisters have both been to NY, so that is why I would hesitate, since they are paying, but they did say to pick any place I want to go. Sounds, like you've been to Italy, I really like your suggestion - I have been dreaming of a Mediterranean most of my life. Hmmmm...
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM

South of France. If you've never been to Europe, what better time than for your 50th. You can probably find an apartment to rent in Cannes, Nice, Beaulieau sur Mer etc.. Fly into Nice if you can. The weather in May should be beautiful. There's relaxing on a beach plus great food, wine and culture with many of the artists having based themselves there for some of their lives. Matisse & Chagall both have museums in Nice. Picasso did pottery in Valauris.

Just keep in mind the Cannes film festival is toward the end of May and the Grand Prix in Monte Carlo is too.

If you don't want to go to Europe, New York is wonderful but as a NYer I don't think it's as relaxing.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
TC

Two European cities that I have loved are Paris and Amsterdam. Spring in either would be beautiful -- especially the tulips in and around Amsterdam. The museums and food are wonderful. Lots of culture and historical heritage. We stay at The Canal House.

Springtime in Paris is amazing. Too many posts on this board to mention, but I think it would tick all your boxes. Many lovely apartments you could share with sisters.

If its beaches you want and you are on the East Coast, how about a Caribbean island like St. Marten or St. Bart? Good food and shopping along with the sand and water. If you are on the West Coast, have you considered French Polynesia? I adored it.

If you want to stay in the U.S., would San Francisco or Napa do instead of NY? Savannah, New Orleans, Naples, Fl?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Every celebration ( birthday and anniversary) , I went to Paris.
One year I went to London and Paris... just so I wouldn't be in a rut
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Never been NYC...time to go.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 01:30 AM

I went to Italy many many years ago and really want to go back. Last year we were to go and it did not happen (went to Paris instead which was very very good). But when I was researching I came upon a lovely little place near Bologna. It was just perfect and within driving distance to Venice and Florence. How wonderful it would have been! I have tried to find this place on VRBO but it is not listed any more. I just think it would have been a perfect base.
Having said that, for the last 25 years, I have always wanted to go to NYC. So this is the year. My husband really does not want to go - but is because it is for me....I know he will have a lovely time. We will book somewhere nice for dinner and I like the idea of the time difference between Australia and NYC. This is my way of slowly sliding into my 50's. I just did not want to wake up in my own bed at home and think "i am 50". I know that sounds really silly but I am finding turning 50 harder than turning 40. This will now be a relaxing holiday, but with the frequent flyer points on Qantas we get, I will book Bali for a rest
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 03:35 AM

I'd book a flight thru NY..with a stop over in NY to accomodate time change on the way to London. Then you could go by chunnel to Paris.
We did this years ago: once we flew from San Diego to NY on Southwest $ 99.00 dollar tickets each way. We got a great discount on Waldorf Astoria 2 nights, to acclimate to East Coast time zone, and tickets to Broadway Tommy (someone no showed and we got front row seats at 5 minutes before the curtain) and then ate at Sardis!!!

Then we flew Business class on Air France (was a FF ticket w. a US partner)..stayed at Hotel above Selfridges and could buy inexpensive, prepared food in Food HAll below...at the time it was owned by same co that owned Sears and I could use my Sears credit card!!! saw all of London, tickets for CATS, used Underground rail everywhere and then caught the train thru Chunnel to Paris. Stayed in a little hotel rec by Rick Steves and had great access to a little shopping stret and subway everywhere.
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...uecler0208.htm
Only rec in Paris is I would get a prehired taxi to take you directly to Paris hotel as you will be tired..

What a trip!!!