"must-sees"driving from San Francisco to Carmel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be staying in San Francisco for three days then plan on renting a car and going down to Carmel. What are the "must sees" on our drive? Santa Cruz, Monterey and Carmel? Pebble Beach & 17 mile drive? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM

One way go via Highway 1 through Half Moon Bay and the other way check out Big Basin Redwoods State Park.

HTTY
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Stop at the marina at Elk Horne Slough. (You will know it immediately because the big power plant emmissions towers.) Talk around and see the sea lions, seals and otters. We took a boat ride which we enjoyed but I think on most days you can see the animals up close without a boat.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM

After SF, drive straight to Carmel/Monterey. Pebble beach, Aquarium in Monterey, walk the streets of Carmel Village. Skip SCruz. Carmel Monterey will take 2 days. Drive back to SF via Hi#1.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Skip 17 mi drive/Pebble Beach and just walk the trails along the coast in Pacific Grove. Just south of Carmel is Point Lobos St Park - one of the most scenic places in that area.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM

If you return to San Francisco by highway 101 you could visit the mission at San Juan Bautista. (The mission in Carmel should also go on your list.)

The town of Pacific Grove, tucked between Monterey and Carmel, is charming and not the tourist-trap that Carmel has become.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM

San Juan Bautista is worth a stop for the mission and for lunch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57624512998387 and the next 8 pictures in the set.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM

You might want to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row while you are in the Monterey/Carmel area.

Carmel Valley is also a fun place to visit. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from Carmel and has several wineries and tasting rooms along the way.

Do you plan on taking Highway One to Big Sur at all? It is definitely a "must-see" if you have the time.

Here is a list of other top scenic drives in the area: http://www.seemonterey.com/tourist-a...onterey-county
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Here are my votes(2nd on a few as others have already mentioned)

Elkhorn Slough
Monterey Aquarium
Point Lobos
Big Sur would be last on my list, but do it if you can

A bit further south-
Mcway Falls
Hearst Castle
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM

You could drive out Geary all the way to the beach, maybe have brunch at the Cliff House - http://www.cliffhouse.com/ and then head down the coast road to Carmel from there.

Lot's of beautiful sights along the Coast Road - and I am a big fan of also taking the 17 mile drive when in Monterrey/Carmel, which also takes you along the world renowned Pebble Beach golf course. http://www.pebblebeach.com/activitie.../17-mile-drive
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM

You don't say when however I would advise you check hotel res for Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Beach if you plan on staying overnight. I just tried to book for June 2012 and everything reasonable and some not reasonable were booked up and over 379.00 a night.

We gave up on the hotels and booked thru VBRO with a conod across the street on the water and cross form the Coast trail...
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Hwy ! is a pleasant drive from SF to the Monterey Peninsula. I agree - lunch at Cliff House and just drive straight through to Monterey. Elkhorn Slough is interesting, but probably not really worth the time when you have only a couple of days. There is nothing in Santa Cruz.
17 Mile Drive along the Ocean is fine - but the suggested walk along the coast in Pacific Grove is better. When you do that drive you can stop at the various little beaches and take pictures or just hang out.
I think Point Lobos and also a beach in Carmel are musts. Even if you don't really hike in Point Lobos, you can drive around and get out here and there.

Big Sur and points south are too time consuming. Aquarium is very nice. The two missions are lovely and important.

Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:17 PM

For lunch I would leave SF in the late morning and stop at the Flying Fish for their fish tacos in Half Moon Bay. If coming down CA 1, one makes a left on CA 92 and it is on the right side just past the next light.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM

If you go through Half Moon Bay, you may want to stop at the Ritz Carlton (from Hwy 1, turn right on Miramontes Point Road). There is a lovely, public coastal trail behind the hotel, along the ocean. They provide free parking for access to the Coastal trail. If you can come at sunset on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, the Ritz has a bagpiper that plays at Sunset. It would be a nice place to take a break or stop for a meal on your way down.