Must see/do for Salem, MA day trip??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We--myself, DH and 17 year old DD--are planning a day-trip to Salem,MA next week while spending 7-days in Portsmouth NH. We've got all the info we need on North Shore/Marblehead and Boston, so we're really just looking for info on Salem itself. There seem to be so many tours and museums--which ones are "worth it"? We're most interested in history and witches, and enjoy ghost tours. Recommendations??

Also looking for recs for lunch/dinner for somewhere that would have some glutin-free/shellfish-free food--Lobster rolls and pasta dinners are out. Are there any (good) Chinese/Thai/Indian restaurants in Salem? Vegetarian/natural foods restaurants??

Thanks so much!!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
yk

IMHO, the most "worth it" museum is the Peabody-Essex Museum. It is huge, with lots of beautiful "stuff" in the Asian Export art section. This of course refers to the 17th 18th & 19th centuries when the rich people collected Asian art (porcelain, furniture etc). I guess back then, things "Made in China" were actually very desirable.

There is also a Maritime section. And then there is the Chinese House. Definitely do not miss.
http://www.pem.org/yinyutang/
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM

We had a very good meal at the Indian restaurant. It was within walking distance of the start of the ghost tour. I believe it was Passage to India. We purchased tickets for a tour of the Chinese House at the Peabody Essex Museum. We didn't think the ghost tour was as good as the one we went on in New Orleans. We skipped the Pirate Museum which looked hokey but I later heard it was good.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

dfrontnh--Thanks for the tips, especially about the Indian restaurant. I'll look into it. Which ghost tour did you do? There are a number listed on the web.

Any recs regarding the witch trials aspects of Salem history??
I've checked out tripadvisor, and it seems that the Witches Dungeon and the Witches Cottage at the Geffin Theater get the highest reviews, as well as some of the walking tours. Does anyone want to weigh in on these?? We're going to concentrate on that aspect of this particular day-trip (remember we have a 17yo with us--bored easily, likes theater).
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM

If you want real information on the history of the events of 1692, skip the kitschy "attractions" in Salem.

There is only one home left that was involved in the Witch Hysteria in Salem. It is the Jonathan Corwin House (Corwin was a judge in the trials, but the house is somewhat incongruously promoted as the "Witch House"). http://www.salemweb.com/witchhouse/

What many people do not realize is that the "Salem" of the "Salem Witch Hysteria" was Salem Village, modern Danvers (it officially separated from Salem in the 1750s). If you want to visit the home of one of the accused, the Rebecca Nurse Homestead is open Friday-Sunday until Labor Day (Saturdays and Sundays in September and October). http://www.rebeccanurse.org/RNurse/AboutUs.htm

The RNH website has some useful historical information and a list of related historic sites in Danvers at http://www.rebeccanurse.org/RNurse/Witchcraft.htm

Are these sites "spooky" or "scary"? No. Are the "entertaining"? I don't think that is their main purpose - but they are interesting. If you really are interested in history rather than hype, though, these are the types of sites you should visit.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:29 AM
lvk

tmagyari, I hope you don't mind me tagging along on your thread, instead of starting another. It would be great to have a collection of current Salem info all in one place.

My mom may be taking my 16yo daughter to Salem for a day trip, as well. The main reason was to be the Nathaniel Hawthorne sites (any advice on this will be appreciated), but I think she would be interested in some "witch" history so I am looking for some guidance there too. I have read on other threads that some of the sites are cheesy, and I haven't been there since I was an 11yo Campfire Girl.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
yk

Hi lvk,

Re: Nathaniel Hawthorne, have they considered visiting the Wayside (part of the Minuteman Natnional historic park), and the Old Manse? Both are in Concord.
http://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvisit/placestogo.htm
http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/346_old_manse.cfm
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Cranachin--Thanks for the information on Danvers, and the RNH website--does look like more of what we are interested in.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM

tmagyari--Glad I was able to help.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM

For Salem, will second the Peabody-Essex Museum, which is excellent. Also consider touring House of the Seven Gables and the Salem Maritime National Historic Site if you like historic houses. Some folks here hate the Salem Witch Museum, though I thought it was okay -- it does present the issue with clarity, though there's nothing in terms of artifacts and such -- things are done here with posed mannequins, lighting, and a sound-effect laden tape-over. Salem Willows is a summer-only carnival type attraction that's midway-style hokey fun.

Passage to India is a good food suggestion for the area, and they will likely have a lunch buffet if you're keen for a lot of food at short money. For other places to eat, consider Red's for a diner style breakfast or lunch, Boston Hot Dog for a lunch munch, Salem Beer Works for craft brews but ho-hum bar food, the Grapevine for dinner (arguably the best food locally), or Finz for seafood lunch or dinner.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM

I hope it's not too late to add my comments. I agree with all of the recommendations above regarding historic homes and the Peabody Essex Museum but I have to say that if you want to see some fun, high-quality but mildly "scary" attractions that are worth your $$ I definitely recommend the Witches Cottage at the Griffen Theatre and Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery. Both are much better than the typical dusty mannequin or wax figure attractions in Salem - and far better than haunted houses. They are also surprisingly educational, and have great reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM

LOVE the Peabody Essex Museum. Also would suggest walking on Chestnut Street - a gorgeous old street with beautiful federal style homes.

Passage to India is the best Indian food outside of Cambridge. The mexican restaurant Cilantro is also good - if you opt for corn flour items would that keep you gluten free? it is expensive for mexican but very very good. My favorite bakery is A&J King behind the Peabody Essex Museum. Obviously lots of gluten there but the coffee is very good as well as sandwiches and pastries.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM

We went to the Peabody-Essex last Sunday on the SalemFerry from Boston. It made a nice day's expedition. The Chinese house at the museum was extremely interesting, and Moshe Safdie's additions to the museum are beautiful. We didn't even get to look at the China trade exhibits and still spent from 10-3. We did stop for a delicious lunch in their restaurant (not the cafe in the atrium). It was actually hard to find from inside the museum, but we kept asking, and it was worth it -- a lobster roll with lemon aioli and sea bass with vegetables were both lovely.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
yk

lvk, if you're still following this thread ~

We went to Salem for a day trip today, and visited the House of Seven Gables. That was quite good and worth a visit for sure. I also highly recommend a ranger-guided tour of the Custom House where Hawthrone worked and got his inspiration for the Scarlett Letter. http://www.nps.gov/sama/historyculture/customhouse.htm

The schedule for the Custom House tour is here (called the Tars, Trade Goods & Taxes tour):
http://www.nps.gov/sama/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm