Reload this Page >

Must See, Do, Eat.....in Phoenix????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 1997, 12:37 PM
Patti

We're off to Phoenix soon -- staying at the Biltmore, which I understand is a very nice resort. Does anyone have "musts" either in sights to see or restaurants not to miss? We're probably not going to go to the Grand Canyon this trip -- it's a little too far for a day trip, and I don't want to leave that wonderful room at the Biltmore empty!!

Old Aug 18th, 1997, 01:57 PM
Bob

One restaurant you have to go to is Richardson's on Bethany School Road. It is not fancy, just a great neighborhood "authentic" mexican/southwest restaurant. Great food and margaritas.

Old Aug 18th, 1997, 04:30 PM
Glen

If you like shopping in malls, try the Metrocenter Mall which is located behind the Wyndham Metrocenter Hotel, its awesome. I believe there are around 220 stores there. We spent the best part of 2 days walking around the mall. You'll find Macys, Sears, Robinsons May........ If you like this kind of thing, go for it!!

Old Aug 19th, 1997, 11:44 AM
Karen

The Biltmore is absolutely a perfect location and a beautiful resort. The restaurants and pools are really nice and it has two golf courses...and, The Adobe, at the golf course, has wonderful breakfasts and lunches. It is exceptionally easy to travel around Phoenix and Scottsdale from the Biltmore. Downtown Phoenix has the Arizona Center, which has alot of restaurants, bars and terrific shops with quality merchandise that reflects the southwest. Also, downtown, you can see the America West Arena where the Phoenix Suns play and other events are held. We also have a little heritage park with old houses, and a nice government mall park, by the capitol, where there are alot of memorials to different groups. Close by the Biltmore is Biltmore
Fashion Square, loads of upscale shops and restaurants. You could go out to Fountain Hills, a nice drive through beautiful residential areas. Ft. Hills has the 2nd highest fountain the the U.s. And, out that way is Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West with a very interesting tour. Scottsdale's 5th Avenue and Main Street has lots of shopping and art galleries. The Heard Museum is our foremost museum of Indian artifacts and wonderful gift shop, a worthwhile visit.

Old Aug 19th, 1997, 12:27 PM
Holly

Karen has has great advice. You might also try for fun Rawhide, which is a reconstructed western town on Scottsdale Road, at the north end of Scottsdale. It is touristy, but lots of fun, with simulated gunfights, western shops, panning for gold, stagecoach rides in the desert, etc. About 10 miles further north is the upscale town of Carefree, also worth a visit. For a wonderful meal, try El Chorro Lodge on Lincoln Ave., just east of Tatum. If the night is fairly cool, be sure to ask for a table on the patrio - absolutely beautiful. If you have to eat inside, you won't be disappointed in the food. P.S. You could do Fountain Hills, Carefree and Rawhide in a single day, ending up in the evening at Rawhide.

Old Aug 23rd, 1997, 01:54 PM
barb

I highly recommend taking a couple hours to drive the gorgorgeous Oak Creek Canyon and see Sedona. I think it would definitely be a highlight for your vacation.

Old Aug 23rd, 1997, 04:26 PM
Jennifer

I agree that Sedona is a beautiful addition to any trip to Phoenix. Also, great restaurants are Cosy Mel's -- Mexican and very fun - and Sfuzzi's -- Italian and a beautiful atmosphere. Both in Scottsdale.