Reload this Page >

Must do's on Maui and Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Abe

Trying to build an itenerary for our honeymoon this July and I need a list of activities and restaurants for the two islands. Two so far are:

1) Maui: Road to Hana (half way as recommended)
2) Kauai: Helicopter Ride (30 or 60 min?)

Thanks,

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:16 AM
lupe

Abe,

One thing you MUST definately do is go to Roy's Kahana Bar & Grill, excellent food, especially the seafood. And, now matter what, have the chocolate souffle. Trust me on this one.

As for the Road to Hana. Going half way defeats the purpose, which is to reach the seven sacred pools, from there you'll find a 2 mile hike to a secluded waterfall. Before you make this treck, make sure you ask the locals if there is water. - This will make all the difference on whether or not this all day trip is worth it. My recommendation is to take the back road to Hana (again, ask any of the locals.) It will take you 2-3 hours, rather than the 4-5, plus this the only way you can reach Maui's only winery. Try their passion fruit wine! They'll give you a tour of the winery plus give you free tastes of each of the wine. (We came home with a case!)

Many people say that the back way is not as scenic. But, honestly, rather than 3 hours of tropical greenery, you get 1. Plus, you get to see the varying types of landscapes around Maui. I think it's just as gorgeous. Oh, I would recommend taking a sports utility vehicle or something that can take a dirt road - a small portion of the back way is unpaved.

Have fun!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:58 AM
kal

Aloha Abe,
Re:Kauai/Honeymoon suggestions...

A picnic and sunset from either Polihale, Barking Sands, Salt Pond or Kekaha beaches.

Sunset table for dinner at The Beach House in Poipu.

Anywhere overlooking the Hanalei Valley.
..Then a brief hike on the first stretch of Na Pali coast.

The Waimea Canyon/Kokee drive...Take the dramamine! The views are worth it.

60 min helicopter ride, by all means! Worth every penny.

Hula Pie at Keoki's in Poipu. Eat it with your hands and have some "honeymoon fun"!

Just get in the car (get a convertible..it's worth the extra bucks on Kauai) and cruise. Take the back roads, too.
It is a beautiful place.

And remember to tell the restaurants it's your honeymoon and you may get some special service.

Kauai no ka oi!
Happy honeymoon!
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Sandy

Just a few points re: above, definately have dinner at The Beach House (reservations a must) in Poipu - great food and wonderful location (although the parking leaves something to be desired (across the street) - but worth it), the back road past Hana is NOT the only way to reach the winery - continue on the highway past the turn off up to Haleakala (sp?) and you'll find it easily, we loved tasting the pineapple wines too (and we brought some home also). For an outdoor excursion on Kauai we enjoyed renting the kayaks (sp? again) up the River (bring food, beverage and towel for a picnic) they will give you a drypack to tie on the kayak with you to keep stuff dry, and wear watershoes to hike up to the waterfall, too slipery for sandals.) To splurge on dinner on Maui I recommend The Plantation House Resturant (continental) just beyond Kapalua at the golf course, and SanSei Resturant (Japanese/Continental in Kapalua. Great burgers and Maui onion rings at Cheese Burger in Paradise in Lahina too. As for the 7 pools, we were there in May and the pools are quite dry, but don't let that stop you from taking the drive to Hana, still a wonderful, stress free and inexpensive way to spend a day (highly recommend a jeep or convertable for the sheer fun of it, an enclosed car misses the mark), allow for plenty of time for the drive and start with a full tank of gas (also would recommend you bringing some food and water for a picnic stop on the way - and wear your bathing suits to swim in the pool and under the waterfall - you'll find the location about 2/3 of the way to Hana - look for the parking area where the state park restrooms are located - it's across the street up a short walk up the path).

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:51 AM
jamie

Hello Abe,

Sounds like you will have a great honeymoon. As usual, Kal has great ideas.

Definitely take the 60 minute helicopter ride (Kauai is the best island for helicopter rides bar none). If for some reason such as budget, you feel you can't afford 60 minutes, try to either cut back somewhere else, or if you have to take 30 minute flight, try to find a helicopter outfit flying out of Hanapepe or Princeville. If you fly out of Lihue, you spend too much time overflying outskirts of towns getting to the sights.

While a convertible is great in the islands, I would suggest to rent the convertible on Maui and get a Jeep on Kauai, especially if you are going to Polihale - it is offroad and you will drive through some sand. It's a great beach, usually almost deserted.

Agree with the Beach House for dinner, second choice would be for A Pacific Cafe (actually their food is slightly better IMHO, but they have no view, which is probably what you want on your honeymoon).

While I liked the road to Hana trip, I had been to the Kauai North Shore first, and was spoiled for life (Hana is nowhere near as pretty, but it is nice). Spend a day on the North Shore, go to the beach, maybe the Limahuli Botanical garden at the end of the road at Ke'e Beach, Zelo's for lunch, take pictures at the Hanalei overlook.

Have a great honeymoon.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:16 PM
kellie

Abe,
1. deffinately do the 60 minute helicopter ride. Ask your concierge to book this for you and ask that they specify front seating. a lot of helicopter's have seating in the front and back and the view is much better(obviously) from the front.

2. IF you are going to do the Road to hana, be prepared for a very long day. i would chill for a couple days and then make a day out of it. definately do the back road on the way home (will need a jeep). the view is completely different(very dry) and you will catch an unbelievable sun set.

3. i agree with going to lunch at the Plantation House. if you guys golf, splurge. it's beautiful. the only thing i would do is make it lunch instead of dinner because the view is panaramic and you don't want to miss this. best view from any restraurant on Maui.

4. If you like Sushi, SanSei has the best i have ever tasted. my husband and i still talk about it.

5. On Kauai, don't stay in the Princeville area, this part of the island is way too wet. Stay on the south side where the Hyatt is. You won't regret it.

can anyone remember what the name of the exclusive French restarant is on maui? this was a great meal, very romantic. also, the cliffs on the north/west side of the island where the windsurfers are...that is awesome to see...have a great trip!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 05:01 PM
larry

If you like to snorkel, one of the trips from Lahina (Maui) to Molikini and Turtle Town is a MUST. the best day of our trip.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 05:37 PM
ezron

MAUI-1)definately get a convertible 2)DO NOT go partway to Hana,either go all the way or not at all. 3)Someone else suggested eating at Roys Kahana-GREAT CHOICE. 4)for casual and cheap- Cheeseburger in Paradise was also a good choice. 5)Drive around and see and experience the different beaches(Kaanapali,Kapalua,Makena etc.) 6)go to Lahaina at night KAUAI 1) get a jeep 2)go to Waimea Canyon(Grand Canyon of the Pacific) 3)Go to Hanalei and take a zodiac boat trip to the Napali Coast(some say the Worlds most beautiful coastline). 4)for a good cheap lunch eat at Bubba's. 5) enjoy yourselves, you're in for one fantastic honeymoon.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:26 PM
edie

definitely do the whole road to hana. make sure you are at the start of the hana highway no later than 7 am and buy the cd from that guy at the gas station. better yet, find someone at your hotel who did it already and give them 10 buckd for theirs, rather than paying that annoying pompous guy 20 bucks. i would even advise driving out one day, staying a night at the Hotel Hana-Maui and driving the back road home the next day. this way you don't have to rush to make sure you catch the vineyard (closes at 5) on the way back. plus the seven sacred pools is so awesome you'll want to be able to take your time, and so is the black sand beach at the state park in hana. i wish someone had told me this before i went. actually the only reason/way i will ever return to maui is to just do Hana and the immediate area.
also, if you want to do the haleakala volcano bike ride, do the day trip, not the sunrise. it is frigging freezing at the top of that damn volcano, and the sunrise is ok, but hello, i can see a nice sunrise where i live. without getting my honeymooning hiney out of my comfy ritz carlton bed at 2 am and then riding in a van for several hours only to freeze for a few more before we rode down. plus, you will be so tired when you get back to your hotel that the rest of the day is a waste.
i second the advise about Roys Kahana and about cheeseburger in paradise.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:00 PM
Lani

Abe,

I would definitely stay on the North shore of Kauai in July. It will be gorgeous, and the beaches are so much better on the North shore from May thru October. And you'll always have more rain there than on the South shore, but not that much more in summer.

I wouldn't do the road to Hana if I were going to do the North shore of Kauai (nothing is prettier than Hanalei Bay, etc. on Kauai!!!) Save it for another trip. I would do the sunrise at Haleakala but not the bike ride down. I'd drive up, stop at Kula Lodge for Eggs Benedict on the way back, then snooze by the pool in the afternoon. Have your concierge check the weather before you make the long drive though. I think that sunrise is special enough to get up for!

My favorite restaurants on Kauai are Cafe Coco in Kapaa, Roy's at Poipu and A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa. On Maui, A Pacific Cafe in Kihei and the Maui Onion at the Renaissance Wailea. Have a great trip. If our varying opinions are confusing you, buy Frommers' Hawaii 2000 - it may help clarify some things for you.

Aloha,

Lani

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:36 PM
T&G

We were married and honeymooned on Kauai and Maui - and returned for vacations on several of the islands. Great choices!

1) Kauai:
- Definately try one of the big catamaran boat trips from Port Allen (near Poipu) end of the island to NaPali coast. Awesome
- Helicopter is a must. front seat is critical for good view. We've had good luck with Air Kauai.
- Great place to stay and play is Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu. Visit Princeville and Hanalei - but south shore is sunnier to stay. We did do our Honeymoon nite in an awesome suite the Princeville resort which was well worth a splurge tho.
- Roy's is great food - Poipu area.
- "The Library" at the Hyatt (surprisingly) is the most unique and personable bar on the island - the staff still send us annual anniversary reminders!!
- Hike along the incredible Napali Trail (it starts where the road ends on the farthest end of Hanalei)
- Check out Waiamea Canyon (another good reason for a convertable or a jeep)- surreal - like a mini grand canyon or Sedona in Hawaii! Some good hikes to waterfalls there too.

2) Maui:
- Definately do the WHOLE Hana roundtrip (don't mind the rental car map warnings - it's just not that rugged!). Convertable or jeep is a must. Start heading south on the Kaanipali side and come back north on the "deserted side" - quite a paradox in terrain from one side to the other.
- Don't miss the world class windsurfers and surfers at the huge breakers at Ho'okipa (just south of Sprecklesville). This is where they make the eXtreme video clips you may have seen
- The BEST seafood on the island (IMHO) is Mama's Fishhouse in Paia (near Ho'okipa). This place is really exceptional. Reservations strongly suggested.
- Check out the great resorts on Wailea and Kihea area, and whoop it up in Lahaina and Kaanapalai- but if you want a really unique, private, romantic honeymoon cabin right on the beach - try Andy's Cove (the Honeymooner @ www.andyscove.com). Not fancy - but just perfect for a couple days of newlywed quiet and romance right on the water for very reasonable $$
- Recommend a snorkel (or even better Scuba or Snuba) trip to Molokai island on the West side. Unique and good underwater scenery.

Ahh..this brings back great memories...enjoy!!!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 12:28 AM
Lupe

Wow! (Big slap on my forehead) I can't believe I forgot to mention Mama's Fish House. Definately some of the most , if not THE most, excellent seafood around - I guess I just got stuck remembering Roy's chocolate souffle (yummm). I also second the above mentions of Sensei Japanese Restaurant - one tip, after 10pm sushi is half-price.

One thing I'd like to mention is that at all of these places you are looking to spend minimum $25/person - and that's just for the dinner/meal. Some alternates for some good inexpensive places:

1. Dolly's for great pizza - in Kahana and just on the other side of Roy's - there's also a McDonald's there for a quick McMuffin in the morning.
2. Maui grill - in LaHaina. They make teriyaki stuff served with white rice, excellent shrimp on a skewer and all for under $8. It's also right on the beach and a nice place to watch a sunset for a lot less.

About the snorkeling - if you've never been, take a molokini cruise as suggested above, then go and rent snorkel gear for the week (@ $15 each). They will give you a map of some great beach areas for snorkeling as well as some more secluded bays, etc. - This is a really nice way to explore the island.

Have a great time.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 12:13 PM
Gary

For what it's worth, if the people telling you to take the back road to or from Hana are telling you to go the southern route, these are escaped mental patients. We did it, and it was the most anxious 3 hours of our lives - the road is treacherous, the unpaved part, which is about an hour, seems a lifetime, and it is very dangerous. Stick to the main road to and fro, you'll be happy you did.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 05:06 PM
Debi

Abe-
We are also going to Kauai in July- you will love it there. We went on our honeymooon 9 years ago and ended up buying a time share in Princeville we loved it so much. This is our 3rd trip.
We have stayed other places, but are really partial to the North Shore. In July it is not going to be rainy- unless you call a nightime shower rainy- it never seemed to impact our plans at all.
People have given you some great tips. We LOVE the Beachhouse in Poipu- the best mahi mahi you will ever taste. Another beautiful sunset can be found at the Bali Hai restaurant- request a lanai table- at the Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville.
A boat trip down the Na Pali coast is a must- it will take your breath away.Since this is your first trip, you should really go to a luau. We like the one put on by Smith's- I don't remember the exact rest of the name, but it was good.
Think about attending a time share presentation- there is no pressure to buy and the perk is that you will get some "reward" for going- we got two tickets for the Napali coast boat ride- some offer helicopter ride tickets etc. We found it worth the hour or so we gave up to listen to their spiel.
Email me directly if you want any other tips etc. I have tons of ideas.
When exactly are you going? We are going July 22-Aug. 5.
Have a ball!