Must do's in San Francisco at Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going in December to experience Christmas in San Francisco for the first time.

Can anyone please give me some suggestions for some must do's around the holidays?

Thank you
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Union Square is very enjoyable at that time. Look for the SPCA displays in the windows at Macys.

We love to walk along the Embarcadero, and spend some time walking along Crissy field and Ft Point.

We enjoy Christmas shopping on Fillmore St between Jackson & Bush. Union St is fun too.

Although we haven't done this in years, we've seen "A Christmas Carol" several times & always enjoyed the evening.

Take a SF City Guides tour of the Palace Hotel - which is usually "decked out" at Christmas.
http://www.sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=61

Stu Dudley

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did the city guides tour of the Palace Hotel last year and thought it was great. We also like to check out the displays and decorations at the larger hotels.

MY
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Stu,
The walk you suggested happens to be our favorite.
Have you ever been to BIX for dinner?
We're going for the first time for dinner.

What trolley line would be the best to see the Christmas lights and decorations? We've haven't taken a trolley in years.

Thank you
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM

We walked through BIX to check it out 2 weeks ago just before the Fodors GTG. Haven't had dinner there in about 15 years, however. It's a fun place.

I'm not sure what a trolly is. Hyde St from Lombard to about Pacific has lots of mature trees that are usually lit up at Christmas. Lots of restaurants too - we like Frascati on Green & Hyde. The Powell/Hyde St cable car goes down this section.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
SAB

I don't think of Christmas in SF as being that big of an experience as compared to being in NYC, where I typically spend the holidays. Union Square is nice enough, as Macy's usually has good windows. A couple of my Christmastime traditions are a concert at Davis Hall, which is beautifully decorated with trees for the holidays and a performance of the Nutcracker by the SF Ballet.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Excuse me Stu...cable car...bad mistake on my part.

I sure hope LoveItaly didn't see this mistake...LOL

SAB,
I'm a New Yorker and for me I've seen everything I wanted to see and do in the City around the holidays. My wife and I call the west coast, the best coast.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
SAB

andrew as I live in SF I believe it is the best coast also, but in terms of Christmas celebrations and decorations, it does not compare to Manhattan, hence my comments. The best part about SF at Christmas for my east coast visitors, is not the decorations, etc., but the fact that there are green trees and flowers blooming in December and that they can be outside enjoying these things.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SAB !

My wife and I just love San Francisco and thought it would be great to there during Christmas time.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
SAB

You are welcome. My sister is visiting from NY right now, and she just loves seeing flowers and greenery, because everything is dead back east and we can go for walks. She loves to come here and go to Carmel at the beginning of February for the same reasons. Hopefully you will be able to have some days without any rain.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Jewish museum is opened December 25 11-3, and this day is free.

http://www.thecjm.org/index.php
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Beach Blanket Babylon is a must -- and especially at the holidays when the finale includes the giant hats -- including one with the the moving train and the Golden Gate bridge!

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Weren't you guys just here??
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes Betsy we were just there but for only 2 days.

I just found out that Jazz at Pearls has closed. We always loved going there as it had the perfect vibe for a jazz club.

Thank you for the great suggestions.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Stu always has inside scoop..but here are my favorites as we go every year at Thanksgiving:

Rental car over Golden Gate bridge & sneaky left turn to Rodeo Beach. Great CA wide open Pacific Bch, waves, wildlife & lighhouse on Pacific Ocean Marin Headlnads side of Golden Gate. Windy and refreshing ..dress accordingly.
Favorite beach place in the whole world....my happy place.
You could go on to Sausalito or back to new Cavello Point (renovated military base) & have a glass of wine in front of fireplace & or dinner. Drive back over Golden Gate dusk or dark to see romantic Lights of the City (unless its foggy which is just as fun!!)

ChinaTown Wok Tour..you will learn things you never knew about Chinese culture, architeture & great DiM Sum.

1/2 off Tix theater booth in Union Square & go to a Christmas theme show..last year we went to one about shopping & it was hilarious. Year before we went to a theater that sold wine at the door for donations as they had no liquor license. Fun to sip wine as you are watching a live show...

Shopping on Union Square & lunch at Mocca on Maiden Lane..cash only REAL Italian cafe with outside tables on a sunny day with live music..the accoustics of alley are amazing.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM

We always have afternoon Tea in the Garden Court (reservations needed) after a day of shopping around Union Square. We all meet up at the Palace Hotel between 1-3 PM. It's the most beautiful room in a glass-domed courtyard. The decorations in the hotel are just lovely.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...actionId=30431
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

1JAR and MBNancy,

Thank you for your suggestions
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I wish I could remember the church I wanted to visit over Christmas. :-?

DF is going to be there then. I may join him and the family for NYEve.

Y'all have fun!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Andrew:

The Sacramento Bee travel section has info on thing to do & see in SF at Christmas time:

http://www.sacbee.com/travel/

Have a great time in the city.

MY
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Starrs,
My DW and I spent last New Year's Eve in San Francisco. We had a great time as we always do in San Francisco.

Thank you for the link Michelle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -