Reload this Page >

must dos in san francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:42 AM
michelle

My husband and I will be visiting san francisco for 4 days in early july. what is on the must do list for san francisco?

Old May 6th, 2001, 01:04 PM
xxx

Riding a cable car...wandering around the Wharf and Pier 39...China Town - good food and great prices on jewelry...Union Square.

Cow Hollow is also a fun neighborhood that has been blosoming that past few years.

Old May 6th, 2001, 01:37 PM
kam

Go to www.visit-san-francisco.com or www.sfgate.com My must dos might be different from your must dos, depending on what interests each of us. Hard to suggest with so little information about your preferences.

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Diane

Walk and walk and walk! I hope your weather is a gorgeous as that I've had on two trips in the past three years. If it is lovely, take the ferry from Pier One to Sausilito. Have lunch, an ice cream, stroll the shops, and come back. I like leaving/returning from Pier One and avoiding the tourist mobs at Pier 39. However, if you want to see the lounging throngs of sea lions, you'll have to brave the crowds of tourists at Pier 39! Chinatown is fascinating. Ride streetcars when ever you can. Learn the transit system, it is really very easy.

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:41 AM
cicelee

I don't know if you like jazz, but I found a wonderful restaurant that serves great food, drinks and jazz. It's in the Mission District and it's called Bruno's. I recommend going on a Thursday evening, having dinner, and listening to a great show. They have the best Mohito in town (thats a Cuban cocktail with fresh mint crushed throughout). You can find them on the web.

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:01 AM
chuck

My take on must-do's:

Sausilito (which another poster mentioned), sit at one of the outdoor, waterfront restaurants and look back at beautiful SF across the bay

Cross the Golden Gate and visit Muir Woods (giant redwoods at this state? park)

Chinatown

North Beach, sip coffee/espresso at the little bistro's in this somewhat beatnik area

Climb Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill for great views

Alcatraz, the self-guided tour was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Have a great time (and be prepared for walking some pretty intense hills)!

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:13 AM
elvis

I was just in San Fran for the first time this spring, so hopefully you will find my input valuable:

definite do's -
1. go to the top of Twin Peaks (especially if you have a sunny day); the best view in the city
2. ferry to Sausalito
3. cable car (cheesy, but how can you not do it?!)
4. tour Alcatraz (plan ahead - buy tickets over the internet)
5. walk or drive over the Golden Gate
6. explore some of the neighborhoods (I liked Castro, Cow Hollow, Presidio Hts)
7. Lombard Street (again, cheesy, but ya gotta do it)
8. Sonoma wine tastings
9. Point Reyes National Seashore is beautiful

Overrated -
1. Fisherman's Wharf/Pier/Ghiradelli area. Very touristy (as in "Ripley's Believe it or Not" kind of touristy) and now lacks the only-in-SF feel it probably had many years ago. I know, you're thinking how can I go to SF and miss this? As you walk away, you'll be thinking, "why did I waste my time?" I know, something you'll need to discover on your own.

2. Union Square - go to the Gap, Old Navy, Macys, etc. at your local mall. Unless you live in the sticks and never see big city (or big mall) shopping, don't waste your time here. There's nothing that you don't already have at home.

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Leone

Most are wonderful ideas, so I'm offering some first priorities, plus three new ones: walk the Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park on a foggy day; visit the Pacific west of the GG Park; and have lunch at the counter of Swan Oyster Depot. By all means: Coit Tower ... Chinatown (walk Grant Avenue) ... North Beach ... cable cars ... ferry across the SF Bay ... Twin Peaks ... Fisherman's Wharf ... Nob Hill. And walk around and look at the buidlings, row houses, small businesses. And notice the light at different times of day. Ciao.

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Bob

Pretty good suggestions and I live here.

You may want to take the real ferry from the Ferry Building to Sausilito. Great views and you don't have to do the tour boat.

Alcatraz is great. We send all our friends on that tour. But you need to book tickets about 2 to three days in advance to be sure you get on the tour.

Cliff House is fun for brunch and views of the Pacific.

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:22 AM
patrick

The main "must do"? Beach Blanket Babylon! This is a legendary long running funny, funny, musical revue with really talented performers using songs from the 50's to the present and spoofing everyone from Elvis to Monica Lewinsky.

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:47 AM
sharon

Michelle,
As I just posted on a similar question, San Francisco has a new treasure, Crissy Field http://www.crissyfield.org/

On a sunny day, it is a perfect picnic eating, kite flying, people watching, frisbee throwing, sun tanning, vista gazing, place.