Reload this Page >

Must do's in Maui & Kaui

Search

Must do's in Maui & Kaui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 09:17 AM
Yvonne

Must do's in Maui & Kaui

Going to Hawaii for my honeymoon for 2 weeks at the end of March, can't wait!!! Would love to hear some suggestions on things that we should absolutly not miss. Since everything is soooo expensive there unfortunatly we can't do everything! thanks!

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 10:03 AM
Jan Hamilton

There are a lot of things to do in Hawaii that are absolutely free.
1-Go to Haleakala. 2-Take the road to Hana. If you do go to Hana, be sure to stop at Wainapanapa State Park. It is a little ways before you get to Hana an has a black sand beach. 3-The snokeling is great and all it costs is a rental of the equipment which is very reasonable. 4-Stroll around Lahaina or WHalers Village. Most of all enjoy the beach and have a great honeymoon.

Jan

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 05:10 PM
ED

Check Maui's website @ www.mauionline.com

There's a ton of info to help you decide what you

may want to do. My recommendations are the Trilogy

trip to Lanai and biking down Haleakala with Aloha

Bike Tours. Both have websites on the above

website. I would forget the trip to Hana. I've

talked to many honeymooners and most agree that

the trip is not really worth it. A few weeks ago

the road to Hana was washed out by a rainstorm.

Best of Luck,
ED

Old Aug 14th, 1997, 07:28 PM
dian&paul

Don't miss the "Road to Hana". Its what Hawaii is all about. Very plush, tropical and beautiful. Go the extra miles to see the 7 pools and Lindbergs grave. Its worth it. Rent a car and take the ride with the cassette guide (tape and guide book) of information about sites on your "Road trip to Hana". Then on your way back from Hana, stop at Mama's Fish House for an unforgettable meal. While in Kauai the Fern Grotto is nice and of course the "Waimea Canyon".

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 11:33 AM
Nancy

Just spent a week on each island. On Kauai, be sure
to take a Captain Zodiac boat trip. Skip the Coconut Beach Resort luau--very hokey! Eat at the Roadrunner Bakery and Cafe--reasonable and good! Also, have a shave ice in Hanalei at the stand right next to Tropical Taco(a good lunch place)--they're delicious.
March may be stormy, but find a way to see the NaPali coast if at all possible (Captain Zodiac may be running there in March). If not, at least drive the north shore to the end of the road. Ditto on Waimea Canyon, and hike while you're there. Most of all, relax--Kauai is wonderfully laid back. If you can afford it, do a helicopter tour.

On Maui, the bike trip is OK (Aloha messed up our reservation and we had to go with Maui Downhill). The road to Hana was wonderful. If you do drive it, stop at the Hana Gardenland Cafe and have a smoked turkey sandwich for lunch. Much easier than packing your own food. The black sand beach is gorgeous. We swam in the Seven Pools--cold but fun. Snorkeling is great all over--the Trilogy trip is expensive and you can see just as many fish from the beaches. Read a good guide book or ask where you rent your equipment.
The luau at the Royal Lahaina Resort was nice with
a good show.
You will probably see whales while on Maui--check out a way to do that.

Have fun!!

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 12:33 PM
jeff

I second the notion that you should NOT MISS the road to Hana. My wife and I have been to Maui twice..drove the road the first time and not the second and we are still regretting it. It is beautiful. Take the whole day to do it, stop for a nice late lunch at the Hotel Hana Maui. swim in pools, look at waterfalls, beautiful vistas. You can't beat it. We just drove Big Sur in Northern California and Hana drive beats it hands down. Take a whale watching cruise with one of the catamaran companies -- we like the Zipphur's combination sunset cruise/whalewatch -- we saw at least a dozen whales. Avoid the BIG boats that have only so much room for people outside and the rest have to sit indoors...we did one of those too and only saw one whale from far away.

When on Kauai, explore the whole island. It is so lush, so varied and so beautiful. The Salt Pond (i think that's what it is called) Beach is a great place to just chill out and get good sun..away from the crowds of Poipu. Also, drive the whole way to the end of the road (past poipu, salt pond, etc) to the beach that is just at the tip of the napili coast. it was awesome..almost a little scary coz of wind, etc. in early March..but it's a can't miss place. As is the Waimea Canyon. Buy Fodor's Hawaii for sure...we used it religiously on both of our hawaii trips and it never failed us.

Have a great time...I'm already counting the days until I can return (in two years!)

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 12:34 PM
jeff

I second the notion that you should NOT MISS the road to Hana. My wife and I have been to Maui twice..drove the road the first time and not the second and we are still regretting it. It is beautiful. Take the whole day to do it, stop for a nice late lunch at the Hotel Hana Maui. swim in pools, look at waterfalls, beautiful vistas. You can't beat it. We just drove Big Sur in Northern California and Hana drive beats it hands down. Take a whale watching cruise with one of the catamaran companies -- we like the Zipphur's combination sunset cruise/whalewatch -- we saw at least a dozen whales. Avoid the BIG boats that have only so much room for people outside and the rest have to sit indoors...we did one of those too and only saw one whale from far away.

When on Kauai, explore the whole island. It is so lush, so varied and so beautiful. The Salt Pond (i think that's what it is called) Beach is a great place to just chill out and get good sun..away from the crowds of Poipu. Also, drive the whole way to the end of the road (past poipu, salt pond, etc) to the beach that is just at the tip of the napili coast. it was awesome..almost a little scary coz of wind, etc. in early March..but it's a can't miss place. As is the Waimea Canyon. Buy Fodor's Hawaii for sure...we used it religiously on both of our hawaii trips and it never failed us.

Have a great time...I'm already counting the days until I can return (in two years!)

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 04:40 AM
Karen

I agree with all other comments re Haleakela, Highway to Hana a off-beach snorkeling. Don't turn back when reaching Hana but continue all the way around even though the car hire companies are sensitive about it - the roads are absolutely fine and the scenery more than worth it. Don't miss out on scuba diving off Molekai crater and the Ioa Valley is also a must.

Breakfast (and dinner) at the Kea Lani Resort is compulsory.

What a special place - you will enjoy!

Old Aug 29th, 1997, 07:10 AM
Doug

My wife and I also honeymooned in Maui & Kaui. As you will notice above, people either love the road to Hana or think it is overrated. We think it is overrated.
We loved Haleakala, although getting up at 3 am to be there for sunrise was tough. Snorkeling at Molikini Crater was fabulous. On Kuai, we took a helicopter tour which was wonderful.
Its a beautiful pair of islands with plenty to keep you occupied. Enjoy.

Old Aug 29th, 1997, 05:47 PM
susan

My husband and I go to Hawaii every year, usually to Maui. Since Maui has become more crowded, we've started visiting the Big Island (which is incredible, by the way - and the volcano has been active lately). Anyway, on Maui: the road to Hana is something you should see once at least. We've done it twice, and the second time wasn't as much fun. It will take up an entire day. If you're subject to motion sickness, take some ginger. My husband drives so fast, I saw most of the waterfalls in a blur over my right shoulder. Wainapanapa is breathtaking. White surf on black sand, and the times we've gone we were the only ones there. Buy the tiny bananas and the grapefruit-sized avocadoes that they sell at roadside - they're wonderful. Go to a farmer's market if one is convenient. Splurge on a dinner at Roy's if you're near Ka'anapali - the seared Ahi is a real treat. Watch the sun set every night and take lots of pictures. It will be whale season, so take a long lens for the best shots. Just enjoy the beauty and peace of that magical place. Congratulations on your marriage!

Old Aug 29th, 1997, 09:43 PM
alice

I had my honeymoon in Maui. It is great!
Recommend the helicopter trip! My first..
and will never forget it! If you like
snorkling.. please.. KNOW YOU WILL NOT GET
SEA SICK!! We did. It was not a pleasant
sight!!

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 04:23 PM
Kathy Desmond

Do go up to Volcano. I thought going to Hana was fun
my husband didn't. There are free hula shows at the
shopping mall. Skip the overpriced Hawaiian Luau.
Snorkeling is free and the funnest thing to do. Buy
your own gear because you'll be back. Don't try to
do everything or you won't get to relax. On Kauai rent the kayaks and go on a self guided tour up the
river. You can even tie up next to the fern grotto
and check it out for free. There's a map on the
kayak that tell you where to go to hike into the
waterfall and take a swim. Go on Captain Andys
boat for a tour of the Napili Cliffs. Nice boat with
good bathrooms. No bathrooms on those zodiac boats.
$95. a person. Pick up the 101 free things to do on
Kauai book at the airport. To save money on food
bring some from home. Food is very expensive in Hawaii. Make sure you have a Lapperts ice cream cone. Kauai is so beautiful. You can't go wrong.

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 11:01 AM
jean

I've been following responses to your question very closely in the last few months, because I too was visiting Maui for my honeymoon only in October. My husband and I just returned and I had to share my opinion of the road to Hana. Both my husband and I agree that the road to Hana was the best thing we did the whole trip (we spent a week in Maui and then went on to California.) It was wonderful to be able to see such beautiful things for the first time -- together. We bought the tape that they sell at the Shell station just before the Hana Highway, and also rented a cooler there and picked up sandwiches and drinks. Everywhere you turn, you want to stop and take a picture. We went swimming in waterfalls and laid on black sand beaches. It was such a great day for both of us -- I highly reccomend it. You'll love Maui!! Congratulations.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 04:26 PM
Dan Lauer

For Maui, Hana is a must see. Haleakala crater for sunrise. Snorkeling and dinner cruises are priceless. Take a picnic lunch and go on a hike in hana. kayaks and bike rides are high on the list.
Save money on car rentals with aa aloha cars r us.
1-800-655-7989. Have fun.

Old Nov 28th, 1997, 01:38 PM
Fred

I was pleasantly suprised !! the road to Hana was a fun drive. Haleakala was excellent as well. don't forget to take a trip to Lahaina. You can also go to the Tedeschi Vineyards for free wine tasting and a free tour.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 09:10 PM
debbie

We just honeymooned in Aug. at both Maui and Kauwii - on Maui definetely do the bike trip, snorkeling, and luau at lahaina(more authentic than any of the hotel ones). In kauwai -a boat trip up the Napalli coast. If you aren't staying there already we would highly suggest stopping by the Priceville Hotel for brunch or dinner. The veiw is spectacular and romantic. You could also just go the bar area for a drink and soak up the scenery. On both the islands it is fun just to get in the car and drive and stop at any of the beaches along the roads when you feel like stopping for a picnic.

Old Dec 25th, 1997, 02:42 PM
Celeste

Well, I can see I'm in the minority here, but I thought the drive to Hana was a total waste of time. If you're into driving 15 MPH and inhaling a lot of car fumes, go for it. I'd much rather snorkel at Molokini, do a picnic boat to Lanai, visit the Hansen's Disease settlement in Kalaupapa on Molokai via a mule ride, lay on the beach in Wailea or Kaanapali, stroll along Lahaina's streets, see the sunrise and/or sunset at Haleakala, go horseback riding - ANYTHING but Hana!

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 07:01 PM
Mary

My husband and I have stayed on Maui about a dozen times, and have visited Kauai on day trips. About Maui: Although some say the road to Hana is overrated, you should do it once, for the experience, for the gorgeous views, for the Seven Pools, and for the photo opportunities. We've done it once, are glad we did, wouldn't again because it consumes a whole day and gets monotonous in spite of the views. If possible, drive up to Haleakala Crater to watch the sun rise. Bring warm clothes, sweaters, or blankets because it gets into the 20's and 30's there early. Sunrise is memorable, and free! On the way down the mountain, you'll enjoy the views of the island through the clouds and you'll pass through a town called Kula which has a very nice botanical garden, nominal entry fee. Go to the Wailea Village shopping center on a day when the free Hula Show is there. Don't miss the Whaler's Village Museum (Free) north of Lahaina, and get a walking tour map of Lahaina from one of the merchants there. Greenthumb's in Lahaina is fun for lunch. You can eat out on the deck built over the water, and watch little crabs scramble around under the tables for crumbs. If you're interested in the kinds of crops and flowers grown in Hawaii, a visit to the Maui Plantation may interest you. Not free, but worth every penny, is a trip on the Atlantis Submarine out of Lahaina. Avoid the restaurants in Wailea as they are good but very overpriced. You can find "normal" restaurants in towns like Lahaina and Kihei (Denny's in Kihei), as well as touristy-pricey places. Greenthumbs that I mentioned before will run you about $7-$9 for lunch, which is mid-average for Hawaii. Bring your own snorkel masks and fins, and snorkel right off a beach or join a half-day or full-day boat trip to Molokini Island. Whatever you do, have fun, and good luck.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 09:30 AM
Mike

How much do you want to spend? My wife and I LOVE the BIg Island although this year we are going to try Maui, Anyway the Royal Kona in Kona is nice and they are always running a special, it used to be a hilton and it's nice for 2-3 days. If you want to go for an even nicer place the Mauna Kea is the Ultimate, but is at least 250$+/night