Must Do's in Maui and Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK this is my husband and my first time to Hawaii and we would like to see as much as possible in the little time we have. We will be in Maui for 3 days and in Kauai for 7 (this is set by my work conference schedules so no chance to change it). We are staying at Aloha Pualani Hotel Boutique in Kihei and in a condo on the North Shore in Kauai outside of Princeville. Please share your favorites of these two islands including things to do, placed to eat etc. Thank you in advance, this board has never let me down!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM

Just got back from Maui.
Wonderful time! Some highlights:

Blue Hawaiian’s West Maui/Molokai hour helicopter tour was fantastic! Best price is through their website.

Momma’s Fish House was worth every penny. We got there at 11 for lunch on Sat and had no wait for a table with a great view.

Try Stella Blue’s Café in Kihei. No view but the smoked fish spread appetizer is incredible!

Aloha!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM

If the surf is right (not heavy) a zodiac boat ride down the Na Pali coast is amazing. We traveled down the coast hugging the shore and entering into sea caves. Every one is different, some with waterfalls pouring through, some with open ceilings, etc -- unreal stuff. When we reached the southern-most point, we stopped and snorkeled in the bay. We went about a mile offshore for the return up the coast to get a panoramic view, and were lucky enough to run into pods of dolphin and whales.

Particularly in the wintertime, surf is often pretty rough -- we went in January, and our guide said is was the first day in several weeks where they'd been able to go into the caves. If you have flexibility, call ahead each day and go when conditions are favorable. Our trip left from Hanalei, which is close to Princeville.

I'm jealous. Hawaii is an amazing place.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM

In Maui, we did snorkeling at Molokini, the road to Hana, the Old Lahaina Luau, and sunrise at Haleakala. For a fancy sunset dinner, try Nick's Fish Market.

On Kauai, we did the helicopter tour of the Na Pali coast (our favorite thing!), also a sunset cruise along the Na Pali Coast, snorkeling at Ke'e and Tunnels (beware the surf), and went to see the Spouting Horn. Bubba's Burgers has good burgers on Kauai.

Have fun!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Definitely do the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour. We got a little queasy, but the incredible views were WELL worth it. Waimea Canyon, also incredible. Kee Beach and Poipu Beach. Spouting Horn (we saw turtles playing in the water here), near Poipu. Smith's Family Luau...beautiful gardens and the food was pretty good too. Show afterwards was very good. Hanalei is a quaint little town. Very pretty. At the coconut marketplace get a rainbow shave ice with macademia nut ice cream. Huge bowl and very tasty! Keoki's Paradise was a nice spot for dinner. Restaurant is pricey, but bar and grill area is cheaper and very good. Bubba's burgers was ok..neat little place, but food was so-so. You must go to Scotty's Beachside BBQ (in Kapaa I think). It's right on the ocean, open air, incredible view while you are eating. Good food too, but the service wasn't too great.