Multi-generation Tahoe trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, a multi-generation family of 8 (ages 12 to 74) went to North Lake Tahoe for a week this summer for a truly memorable experience! My fears and concerns (well-documented on the Tahoe forum) about keeping all generations happy for were unfounded. The trip was amazing in every way!! (Disclaimer: Any fuzzy details may be attributed to trip report procrastination as versus fuzzy thinking. At least, that's the excuse I will use )

The trip started off on the right foot. We had been desperately looking for a car for 8. Almost everything was sold out or ridiculously expensive. So, we had decided to just get two cars for 4. We were disappointed but figured it was what we had to do. Thanks to my Entertainment book coupons and a very helpful Budget employee we were upgraded to a fabulous 8-seater for the price of a sedan! So we started off with the hope that the rest of the trip would be as serendipitous.

I took the advice given by the wonderful people on theTahoe forum and took the scenic route on the last leg of of the trip. (Mount Rose Highway?) The first glimpse of the Lake made everyone in the car gasp. It is stunning! I had heard about it's beauty, but honestly, nothing can prepare you for the deep blue beauty of the Lake.

We stayed at the Northstar Resort, in one of the newer buildings. The three-bedroom, three-bath condo was perfect. Clean, fresh, well decorated. ( It made me feel like redoing my whole house) It had every kitchen gadget you could think of, quality linens and L'Occitaine toiletries to boot! The concierge service was great, and we decided to spend the first evening right in the village. Had a great meal at the pizza place in the Village at Northstar. ( I strongly recommend the fried stringbeans! )

Gotta go -- More to follow
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking forward to more of your report!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM

I am too!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Where did you start? What airport?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Okay, we all came in from different cities, Nashville, NYC, Atlanta and flew American into Reno.

After our v. good pizza, salad and fried string beans. We went to the Hyatt rec center, played some pool and foos ball. On our way back to the condo we discovered an unoccupied fire pit with chairs around it. It was wonderful just talking and enjoying the warmth of the fire to combat the slight nip in the air. There was an outdoor movie going on near our building, but by this time we were exhausted and looking forward to easing into those crisp, white sheets.

The next day was Hubs Bday. He went to play some golf and we took a guided hike on the mountain. The young guide was fascinating, not so much because of his knowledge of natural life on the mountain. But, rather because he gave us some insight into mountain biking culture. It was just fun to be up there and the views were quite nice.

That afternoon some of our party enjoyed the hot tub, while others went to pick up groceries. The best thing we did was to buy a cheap cooler. It was great to keep drinks and sandwiches cool.

I tortured our very patient concierge with my deliberations of where to go to dinner. Finally, I settled on Dragonfly. When we got to the restaurant I almost balked. It was so much more casual than I expected. However, once the food came out all my reservations were laid to rest. This ended up being one of the best meals of the trip. Everything from their eggplant dip, to the steak was fabulous. We moved to the deck for dessert and enjoyed the sunset with the sweets. Wow! What a great night.