Mt. Killington, VT - Ski Resorts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to go to Killington, VT after Christmas for some mid-week skiing and stay 3 or 4 nights (we live in the suburbs of NYC).

We have never been to Killington and I am a little overwhelmed by the accomodation selection. There are four of us and for a short stay I would prefer a ski lodge as opposed to a condo.

We are looking for a resort that is relatively close to the trails or at the very least offers a shuttle to the lifts.

Any suggestions? At this point, we are open to other ideas or locations. Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Great choice. Killington is my favorite ski destination on the east coast. What variety of trails!!

I usually try to stay in one of the "ski-in-ski" out condos and love the fact that you can do your first run of the day before the lifts open.

In the past I have rented through Wise Vacation rentals. They are organized and reputable with many types of accomodations to choose from.

One thing about Killington I dont like...there is no "downtown" to speak of. Just a long and windy road (with no sidewalks) lined with restaurants and shops. Unfortunately I find we always have to take a car if we go out for dinner.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Screen_name: Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that Wise Vacation rentals is reputable since they seem to have a corner on the market. I will check out their accomodation options more closely.

Any other suggestions? Lodging or otherwise?

Any recommendations for restaurants in the area or antique shopping?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:12 PM

Killington is a massive area, with a long, very commercialized access road, with the typical pizza, Mexican, etc places. If you want really nice dining options, you might want to check out Woodstock, which is about 20 minutes east on rte 4. Woodstock is a nice town for walking around. Bentleys is a good dining option. For really good Italian food, head west into Rutland to the Three Tomatoes trattoria. Rutland is an old mill town, but Three Tomatoes is worth going to. If you really want to splurge, try Hemmingways on rte 4 just east of Killington.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

ttt

Any suggestions for skiing in New Hampshire?
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, zootsi.

Any other suggestions.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM

If you are going to need to rent equipment and maybe take lessons, you would be better off getting a package deal including lift tickets and renting directly from Killington itself. The Killington Grand Hotel is ski-in ski-out and they have both condos and regular hotel rooms but would be one of the more expensive options. Killington runs a free shuttle bus from other properties to the slopes. I believe that most of Killington's own rentals are condos.

Choices Restaurant, right on Killington Rd. is excellent as is Birch Ridge Inn. Peppinos is fine for Italian. Other than that, most of the restaurants on the access road are mediocre at best, IMO. Down on Rt. 4, the VT Inn is good, as is the Red Clover Inn, slightly off the main rd. I think Hemingways is overrated and way overpriced.

Mid-week is the best time to ski Killington. Weekends are VERY crowded.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM

Forgot to add that if you are going the week right after Christmas, it will be extremely crowded then too and prices will be high. If you can wait until after the holidays, you will do better.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jacqueline, especially for the restaurant recommendations. We would definately go mid-week. Only some of us would need rentals so I have to figure out what package would work out best.