Moving to Portland

May 29th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Moving to Portland

My Husband and I are considering moving from Los Angeles to Portland. We will be in Portland next weekend to check out the city and look at some possible neighborhoods.

We don't know anyone in Portland so we are clueless about which areas to look in. We are young parents with one child so we would like to be in a family friendly area with good schools. We would like to be able to buy a 3 bedroom home for $400k or less. My husband will be traveling throughout Oregon for work although the majority of his work will be in Portland.

Can anyone recommend any communities close to Portland that we should look into?

Thanks so much

Lori
May 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM

3BR $400K should be very doable in many of the Portland neighborhoods. You can dig up an RMLS website and search for houses here and get an idea what that price will get you. Portland has several different types of neighborhoods. The east side of town is pretty flat, whereas the west side beyond downtown is pretty hilly and less "urban," more removed from the pulse of downtown. On the east side, look at Laurelhurst in NE/SE, a large old suburb-like area with a lot of nice houses. Or Wilsire/Beaumont in NE Portland: a very nice area too. In SE, there's a unique neighborhood called Ladd's Addition that is built around four rose gardens and a big circle in the middle, different from the typical "grid" pattern in most east-side neighborhoods. Check this out to see what I'm talking about:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...07624,0.027122

In SW, look at Multnomah Village.

There are also some decent suburbs; Lake Oswego, about 10 miles south of Portland, is probably the most ritzty but it is removed from downtown a bit. Then again, if you live in LA, you probably won't find the drive up I-5 to downtown from Lake O to be much of a big deal.

Andrew
May 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM

I should also have mentioned Irvington in NE Portland, a very mixed neighborhood close to downtown that has some very modest homes as well as some huge mansions but a good reputation. NW Portland is I think a terrific neighborhood but $400K for a 3BR there is getting challenging - prices have been going through the roof there.

Andrew
May 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM

http://joanneforman.com/oaragency.html
This is a good site to use also, and the lady is so helpful...I call her or email her with questions and she sends me stuff all the time. But she never bothers us
She can help you with all of Portland as well as Lake Oswego, which might appeal to you. It certainly is very beautiful.
We live in town and have no need of schools so I cannot really be of much help.
But it is very nice here , good luck!
May 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM

You might want to check out this website:

http://www.movingtoportland.com/

I think it has a great overview of the neighborhoods. It's chock full of statistics on anything you might want to know about.

I would look at where your husband will be working. Though nothing like LA, I would hate to commute from one side of town to the other. Commutes from the Hillsboro/Beaverton end of town into the downtown area are particularly brutal.