Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to job in Garland, TX from SoCal - Where to live?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

My husband just got a job offer in Garland to start in May. That gives us only a few weeks to find a place! We are currently in Southern CA. I've been trying to research the best cities around there to live, but find so many conflicting things. We are a young family in our mid-twenties with a one-year old. The most important thing to us is safety - I am going to be by myself quite a bit and want to make sure that I feel comfortable going out and about with my son. We are looking to rent for about a year and then buy. What cities would you recommend? We are looking for a 2 bd 2 bath preferably in the $1300 range. We also have a boxer dog. Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...re-to-live.cfm

(previous thread w/ some replies)
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
hint: To find your previous activity click on the image at the top right corner and then click on 'View Profile'
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 01:12 PM

So where's his job? Irving (prior thread) is on the other side of Dallas from Garland.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

He ended up turning down the Irving job offer, and accepting this one in Garland. I didn't know how to delete a previous posting, which is why I posted a new one as we will be going to a different area. His job will be in Garland off of E Miller Rd.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Hmm. Depends upon how far you want to live from his job versus how far you want to live from Dallas. My GUESS is that Rockwall, Murphy, Rowlett and Garland will all have apartments available around or near that price.

Check sites like this: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/garland

The violent crime rates in the Dallas suburbs are low, and Dallas's rate isn't high for a big city (compare it to Houston, then compare both to dumps like Oakland or Detroit or Chicago or St. Louis). But the 'burbs - including Richardson, McKinney, Garland, Allen, Rowlett, have anywhere from 1/10 to 1/3 the violent crime of Dallas.

Even on the higher end of that low scale, Garland has less than 1/3 the violent crime of Dallas. For your comparison, Garland's violent crime rate is lower than Santa Barbara or Napa or Burbank or Pasadena.