Search

Moving to Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Houston

Ok, it isn't exactly travel, but I am moving to Houston in September. I need to find an apartment, and will have to rent it sight unseen.

Here is what I'm looking for:

I want to be able to walk to movies, restaurants, clubs, shops, etc. The apartment itself is not terribly important to me so long as it is clean and relatively safe, and I would prefer to keep it under $750 a month. Commute is not much of an issue as I have lots of choices as far as where to office.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I live in Houston and can share some places about rent. I used to live inside the loop near Greenway Plaza at some apartments called Towne Plaza that are very clean and safe and close to what you want to do. The thing about Houston though is that you really need a car to get around. The rent in downtown or midtown sounds like it is going to be out of your price range but they have tons of things to do like the theater and some really great clubs and restaurants. Another nice area is near the medical center and West University and renting is not bad there. Just remember that it takes at least 30 mintutes to get across town because traffic is horrible. Good luck and just remember that the weather that time of year is HORRIBLY HOT!! Where are you moving from?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM

The only place to live where you can walk to clubs, restaurants and movies is Downtown, and $750 is not going to make it there.

You either pay a lot more, or have to drive or ride the bus and/or light rail.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:12 AM

You have my sympathies.

Houston has no zoning, so if you really are renting site unseen, be sure to ask what is located next door, across the street, etc. You may end up in an area that is not really "residential."
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help, your answers confirmed my suspcions about Houston. I am afraid I won't be able to find what I am looking for at the right price anyway.
I've looked at some places online near the downtown and midtown area, but I can't find much under $1,000 which is to steep for me.

Kitty: Thanks for the tip, I will give them a call. As for the heat, well at least I'm moving from Dallas so I am a little accustomed to it. Regardless I will probably melt away from the humidity. Forutnately I have a car I have just grown accustomed to being so close to everything in my last couple of places.

rkkwan: How is the light rail in Houston?

Missy: It stinks, I am very concerned about it which is why I am really doing a ton of research. I picture myself signing a lease somewhere and being shocked when I pull up to the place. Oh well new adventures.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Even though you want an apartment have you tried checking with any real estate offices there? They might have a condo or 2 for lease. We moved back to the NO area & needed a rental house temporarily. Our realtor that was helping us find a house to buy was able to pull some listings of places to rent. A lot of times they will give you some good options. You could tell them that you are relocating to the area & need to rent for the moment. If they think a sale is in the future they usually will help.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM

If you're living in Dallas right now, can't you just come down to take a look at places before renting. Driving or flying SW won't take you that much time.

Housing in Houston is pretty affordable, and it's not like all affordable places are an hour + of commute away. For example, you can rent a patio home (3 bedrooms, about 1,500 sq ft) for $900-1,000, and can drive to medical center or downtown in 30 minutes or less. Since you can drive, then it's really not a problem. That's just the way Houston is.

The light rail runs from Downtown to the Astrodome area. It's pretty quick when not crashing into cars - close to 50 accidents since opening 7 months ago - and can get you to Downtown from the Astrodome area in about 15-20 minutes. Midtown would be too expensive, but some older apartments around the Astrodome may be okay. But chances are they will be too far a walk from the Light Rail stations. And you know what it's like to be walking in a major thunderstorm or in 100+ heat.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Unless you absolutely have to move here, don't do it! We moved from Dallas to Houston three years ago. The weather sucks. It rained at my house every day during the month of June. If you have to move, try to stay in the Inner Loop area. Unless you are married with family the suburbs will bore you to death. We lived in the inner city in Dallas and got stuck in the 'burbs of Houston. Yuk! The only thing good about Houston is the proximity to the beach. That's the only thing that makes it tolerable. Good luck.