Moving to Delaware

Apr 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Moving to Delaware

Hello!! Where are all the DE fodorites?? My partner and I are moving to DE (due to work) and will be settling in Newark. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the worst roads for morning/afternoon traffic. Still house hunting, kinda liking the area around Iron Hill Park. Any good neighborhoods to check out or perhaps NOT check out? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I already know DE has much to offer in terms with beaches & historic areas/Brandywine Valley.
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM

As you most likely know, Newark is a college town. I95, the main north - south route can get pretty jammed up around the Christiana exit as are the roads leading to Christiana Mall. There is also a toll stop on I95 at Newark that can really slow things down. Main street cuts right through the campus and is often slow.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Here is a link to a great relocation site:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/delaware/

Apr 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM

I grew up in Delaware. Newark is a college town and that traffic is heavy in most areas anymore - heavy around the high schools too during those times. I would highly recommend moving close to your office and avoiding the University and surrounding area, if possible. Driving through downtown Newark roads should be avoided as well - they are jam-packed on the weekend evenings, too with all the "cruisers" who circle around Main Street and down around and back up by the High School - favorite high school pasttime. Iron Hill is nice. Highways 273 and 896 were always difficult because people living in Maryland or PA would come into town to work in DE.
Both my siblings still live there - they both live in BEAR as things are a bit cheaper there... I'll chat with them and post more if they have any recommendations.
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

We do know about the I-95 toll so we usually get off at 279 & take Otts Chapel Rd across to get to Old Baltimore Pike. We've also used 279 to get to/from downtown very easily. I love the University of DE campus & Main St alot. I think I'm going to enjoy living in DE for the next few years.

Thanks AustineTraveler, that is an awesome site. It's nice how they have forums for every state/area.

Was able to look around at some other neighborhoods today on the other side of 896. One that stood out was Gray Acres off Sunset Lake Rd & Reybold Rd.

We are still trying to get a feel for the area as we decide on these houses. NCCo police has a great crime mapping tool which gives peace of mind.

One question that is mind boggling is why does one road have so many different names? Take Rt 72, it starts as library downtown, then changes to Chapel St to 95, then it's Sunset Lake, & ends up being Wrangle Hill! Alot of stretches change names alot!

Thanks for the advice!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Well we just settled into the new house in Newark near OBP & Otts Chapel Rd intersect. So far we're loving the area and everything including gas is much cheaper. Main St is quiet now for the summer and traffic less since the college students are away. I'll have to keep an eye out on those once in awhile DE posts that might come along. Kinda miss Baltimore Hon!