Moving to Chicago

May 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Moving to Chicago

Help Please. There is a small chance that I may be relocating from the NYC area to Chicago. If I do relocate, I will be working downtown (near Wacker & Franklin)and would prefer a short commute. I currently pay $1800 for a one bedroom now. The problem is, is that I am expecting a pay cut if hired, and not sure how much of a pay cut. From my research, Chicago is cheaper than my area but still. I realize this is a very subjective question, but what is a decent salary (not trying to be rich) to earn in Chicago assuming I want a one bedroom apartment (in a good part of town). Will $80K help me do me ok or will I need a higher NYC salary. I've done the online salary calculator thing, but was hoping for a real perspective...thanks
May 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Hi Gladiator, for one thing you don't have to live downtown in order to have an easy commute. That's one of the cool things about Chicago, the EL(elevated train). I would really recommend you search for atps in these following areas:
Lincoln Square:
old german neighbourhood with reasonable prices for living and only about 25 minute train ride to downtown. Great variety of restaurants. Laid back
Wicker Park:
lots of things to do at night if you like the bar scene and restaurants, kind of a hipster area.
Lincoln Park:
only a 10-15 minute ride to downtown, little more costly than Lincon Square,also a hip area

Keep in mind when looking for an apartment that you should try to live close to a train line if you are without a car.

In all these areas, for a one bedroom apt, you should be able to find things in the $900-$1200 range.

Good luck in Chicago.

Suzanne,www.vacationsbyrail.com

May 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Reasonable salary range, $1800 a month for Chicago.

Suzanne, www.vacationsbyrail.com
May 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM

your lucky i want to live in chicago
May 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM

You should be able to get a one-bedroom in a desirable part of town without too much difficulty for around 1000 a month (or less if you look). You will not however, be able to live downtown (in the LOOP or South LOOP) on less than probably 1300 a month. I live around the Wicker Park area and can usually make it downtown in 30-35 minutes (20 minutes if I ride my bicycle) and there are plenty of one bedrooms over there in the 900 dollar range. You'll do fine renting on 80k, I make probably almost 1/2 that and I live rather comfortably myself (but I don't have a car to contend with).