Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Charlotte, NC-please help with neighborhoods!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Charlotte from San Francisco. I am originally from the Birmingham, AL area-so if anyone is familiar with both of these cities, it would be easy for me to compare.

It is very easy to look at the homes on the internet and see ones in our price range; but, it is hard to know what kind of neighborhood it is. Can anyone give us an idea on where to buy?

In other words, for those of you familiar with Charlotte, if you were to buy today, where would it be? We do not have any children yet, so schools are not a priority, but it would be nice to be in an area with great schools for resale in 3-5 years.

Thanks so much for any help you could give us!
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I moved out of Charlotte several years ago but I can't recommend my neighborhood there enough. It was called Beverly Crest in the Arboretum area. Great schools (we didn't have kids either but wanted good schools for resale), great location, and the cutest houses you can imagine.

I would recommend the south side. The north side is also nice and cheaper but the south side has a nice established neighborhood type feel. I would go to this site and search areas 4 and 5.

http://www.carolinahome.com/findHome...?searchBy=area

I also have a great agent if you decide to look on the south side.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
GoTravel

Coming from San Francisco, I would pick Meyers Park, Dilworth, or somewhere in the vicinity of Queens Boulevard. All close to Uptown and shopping.

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Can you give a price range? I have lived in Clt for 30 yrs and would be happy to make a few recommendations.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help so far. The range in which we are looking is 250K-350K.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM

The 'Inner Loop' (as previously mentioned) but you would likely be looking at Condos in that price range. Elizabeth also comes to mind. If you favor the San Fran bohemian style, the closest thing we have is NoDa & your $$ will go a little farther there.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Some neighborhoods I like, Park Crossing, Beverly Woods, Thornhill, Huntingtown Farms. There are lots of new neighborhoods where I hear you can get lots for the money in Weddington and Waxhaw, both rural suburbs of Charlotte. The neighborhoods I have mentioned are all older neighborhoods (except Thornhill is fairly new) in established areas, close to shopping, parks and entainment. I would stay in the south to southeast. Many would tell you there are great areas in the north also, but IMO the south is safer, more stable and greater opportunity for appreciation.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Please take heavily into consideration where you will be working. Folks waste too much of their lives sitting in their cars polluting my air.

The recommendation to use www.carolinahome.com is a good one, though I know you need to know the names of the the neighborhoods you want.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM

You don't have to know neighborhood names to use Carolina Home. You can search by area also.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:32 AM

But the areas are way too big. Elizabeth and Matthews are in the same area, 10 miles apart.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM

It is unlikely that someone new to the area would want to restrict themselves to an area as specific as either Elizabeth or Matthews. When I first moved to Charlotte I looked anywhere I could afford in areas 4 and 5. It was only after I saw what the neighborhoods were actually like that I became more restrictive in my search. I imagine most newbies would be the same.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Although I rag on zillow.com all the time as the info is fairly outdated (my home was built in 2000 & doesn't show up). It may be a useful tool as far as searching out certain price ranges.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM

topping for copper
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM

ttt