moving to Braedenton-Sarasota area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a move to the Bradenton-Sarasota area. What's it like to live there?
We'll be arriving on our sailboat but will eventually live on land and we plan to join the work-force. We're in our early 50's and I'm worried about the area being too "old." We like a mix of ages among other things! Sorry if I offend anyone! I guess that WE'RE "old" in some people's eyes!!! Anyway, I'd like some input about housing, shopping, entertainment, travel times, etc. Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM

Katydid-

We do have a lot of senior citizens and it can get very crowded here with "snowbirds" in the winter. But they also can't seem to build schools fast enough to satisfy the enrollment numbers due to so many young families moving here.

I'm partial to Bradenton--a native believe it or not (there aren't many of us left!). I did live in Sarasota for 10 years but I prefer my home town.

"What's it like" is a pretty broad question. Housing varies from apts, condos, mobile home parks (you'll find LOTS of seniors in those) and single family homes. We have a great beach community on the barrier island and the eastern part of the county is exploding with homes, schools, shopping etc.--definitely the demographics will be younger out that way.

We do a lot of our "serious" clothes shopping in Tampa and fine dining in Sarasota, along with the theatre, opera etc. Bradenton has a good amount of shopping and dining options as well. You'll find more of the arts in Sarasota along with higher prices.

That's all very general. I'll be happy to try and answer any specifics. I know of at least two other posters from the area so hopefully you'll hear from them also.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:54 PM

It's a great area. Not to worry. The oldsters are mostly in retirement communities and you will most likely live in a mix of ages. Even when all the snowbirds arrive, they tend to congregate at touristy places. Actually I think Sarasota & Bradenton are younger communities. I live in Tampa so I don't have much to say other than don't worry, you will love it, this is a wonderful community.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
OliveOyl

katydid...what an exciting move! Sounds like a true uprooting if you are arriving via boat and living on it for a while. Are you actually giving up all your "Stuff", or storing it somewhere until you find where you want to live?

As TG and Jayne have already said, not to worry about landing amongst a bunch of oldsters. It truly is not like that. Housing, in my opinion anyway, is pretty expensive but it's all relative to where you're coming from. We lived in Savannah before this and Dallas before that, and both places are considerably less expensive than this area. But...it's a terrific lifestyle and there's great sailing year round. The concept of taking your boat out of the water is alien to us! I do hope you've got a shallow draft though! Ours draws 4.5 and is fine for most places we want to go, but in the bays we pay strict attention to charts and our GPS/depth finder.

Where are you sailing from?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM

Also considering relocating to the Bradenton/Sarasota area from the mid-Atlantic area. Going to visit for a few days starting on may 6 to look at housing, shopping and general ambience. We are a couple in our late 60's but both quite active and looking for any insights as to where to live. I golf, swim, etc. and wife plays tennis and swims, walks, yoga.

Any replies much appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:52 PM

RTB--
Can you give us an idea of the price range in which you'll be looking? House or condo? A couple of places come to mind immediately, but costs vary widely. You can usually get what you're looking for at a price you're comfortable with.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM

Jayne, Up to about $420k for housing and thanks for response.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM

topping
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:02 PM

RTB,

You'll have a good selection in that price range. All the communities I'll mention have homes and condos as well as all the amenities you want. Most have a country club as well. They're all in Manatee County.

East of town development is booming. From this area it's about a 30 minute ride to the beach in good traffic. The plus is that it's easy to access the interstate out there so you can zip into Tampa, Sarasota etc. Lakewood Ranch is the newest and largest development. It's really a town within a town. University Park is one of my favorites (I think it has one of the best tennis programs around). It's on the county line between Bradenton and Sarasota. Tara and Rosedale are also nice.

In town, El Conquistador has some waterfront property. It's between Sarasota and Bradenton (another good tennis program also). Perico Bay is the last development before you hit the beach community. The beach communities with the amenities you want come at a premium; 750k would be at the low end.

These are just the ones I'm familiar with. There are others that I don't know enough about to mention. If you want to work with a realtor, IMO the ones with the most local knowledge are Wagner Realty and Michael Saunders Realty. Both of these have offices in W. Bradenton on Manatee Ave.

Good luck with your search.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Jayne, Many thanks for the info