Search

moving to boston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 11:47 AM
jenny

moving to boston

also, am thinking of moving to boston...hence my trip to boston this october. am a mature student. any suggestions for a nice area of town to live that has a nice array of shops for necessities (such as food, groceries, etc). yet is safe and inexpensive?

thanks a bunch!

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 06:32 PM
Steve

Jenny,

If you have a car, a convenient place is Quincy (pronounced "Quin-zee") which is a city six miles south of Boston. It's a stable, working class town that meets your requirements: shops, groceries, safe and inexpensive (and convenient access to the city via I-93 and the "T"). I wouldn't call Quincy visually spectacular but there aren't many areas that are bad.

Another suggestion is the North End, especially if you don't have a car. This is Boston's Little Italy. Great restaurants, easy shopping, eclectic neighborhood. It can be a little noisy and the prices tend to be on the higher side but there are bargains to be found. As far as safety, an odd paradox exists for this neighborhood. Local lore has it that since the Mafia has a large presence here, NOBODY messes with anyone else or their property for fear of upsetting the wrong person or wrong family, get what I mean? So for anyone who lives in the neighborhood, there's an inherent protection. I lived in the North End for three months and my biggest problem was the noise (I lived across from a playground), never crime.

Definitely check out Back Bay and Beacon Hill, though we're talking expensive here. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Good luck.

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 04:04 AM
francesca

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 04:09 AM
francesca

If you are a city person (ie. can live with noise, crowds and like the electricity in the air) then Boston is a very livable city. The North End and Back Bay are charming but expensive neighborhoods. It's easier to find an apt. in the North End if you know someone. Cambridge is also a very place to live with some very pleasant residential areas ($$$) still close to action. Remember that you'll be competing with thousands of students for cheap apts in nice areas. I personally found areas such as Brighton and Allston, which are very student-y, very unappealing, your mileage may obviously vary. Lastly, Brookline, a town right next to Boston, can be an ideal place, and it's where I lived, for nearly 13 yrs. It has character, you can walk into downtown Boston from many neighborhoods there, it is well connected to public transport, and it has a lively center itself.

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 05:30 AM
jenny

thanks for the advice. i'll check out these areas when i get to boston next month.