Moving to Boone for a month

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are moving to Boone for the month of July as he takes a class at the university. We live in Michigan - two questions....anything we should do on the roadtrip down and anything we should make sure we do while we are in the area? We both like outdoor activities, food, good music, new people and a good pub!! Museums and shopping are not high on the list...Driving is not a problem. No kids but 2 dogs!! Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:46 PM

Are you talking about Boone North carolina?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:16 PM

Be sure you visit Blowing Rock--a little village about 15 minutes from Boone.

Ashville is about a two-hour drive and they have a great outdoor festival in July called Bel Chere. You'll find details on their chamber website. There are other small festivals in the area throughout the summer. Although you're not into shopping, the monthly Art in the Park is a nice place to take a stroll in Blowing Rock. There is also a trailhead in the city park that is an easy hike to a beautiful waterfall.

There is a lot of river rafting in the area if you like that kind of thing.

Chimney Rock is a nice place to spend the day.

That stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway is lovely that time of year. Just watch out for the fog.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:42 PM

Amer
Try the Dan'l Boone Inn for a HEARTY meal, this ain't for no sissy appetites!
www.danlbooneinn.com
Jeri
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:03 AM

You're going to have a blast. I've never been to Boone, but I hear it's a pretty cool town.

Asheville, since you don't mind a little drive, is a great place to hang out. Pisgah Forest is heaven for mountain biking and hiking. You have panoramic views, waterfalls, wild flowers, etc.

Asheville is full of great casual food and great bars, many with outdoor dining.

Salsa , Zambra for eating

Westville pusmoke free), Jack of the Woods(Irish brewpub w/ Bluegrass), Flying Frog (outdoor French-ie type cafe), the Biergarten(so many drafts!) are good drinking choice. There's lots of Bluegrass in the area, but also plenty of other clubs w/ music. You can look for the Orange Peel and Stella Blue on the net.

IMHO, avoid Asheville on Bel Chere weekend.

If you want specifics on any of the things I've mentioned, let me know, I'll try to direct you to some websites.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:05 AM

The Six Pence Pub in downtown blowing rock is a good pub. Coffey's Cafe is a great place for lunch or dinner in dt Boone. The Gamekeeper was great for a pricey dinner.

Dogs are welcome at either Grandfather Mountain or Chimney Rock.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Cassandra

For an "experiment" in upscale dining, the "Gamekeeper" restaurant serves (surprise) game and fish. I was hesitant (don't like to eat Bambi and his friends) but the ostrich was better than any steak I'd ever had. It's in a very pretty location near the Yonahlossee (sp?) Inn/resort, pretty inside.

I'm sure you'll find your way to Grandfather Mountain -- the major thing to do there. Blowing Rock's stores are good for a long putter, although it won't take a whole month to get to know them! Plenty of music-- just watch local papers and posters.

You're not that far from Asheville, worth a leisurely drive down the Parkway.

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I work in Boone, and you will love it. There is no place like the mountains, and there are so many things to do, many of them inexpensive. Picnics along the Blue Ridge Parkway, hiking along the Appalachian Trail and at Price Park, whitewater rafting, Grandfather Mountain. It's all there. Drive into West Jefferson one day and see Ben Long's frescoes at the churches there. They are beautiful. The entire Boone area is a nature's paradise, and the cooler temperatures are heavenly for the July. I live down the mountain and drive up every day to work, and there is a 10-degree temp difference on the mountain. There is always some sort of music being offered. Check out Applachian Summer Offerings through ASU for a complete schedule. By the wayk, welcome to the area.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:03 AM

I agree it is a beautiful area! My husband and I stayed at the Gideon Ridge Inn in Blowing Rock a few years ago and our room didn't have air conditioning. It was a little warm during the day (we were there in late July), but at night we left the windows opened and it felt so nice. I still remember hearing the wind rustle the leaves in the trees! Enjoy yourself! The area is food for the soul.