Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving from San Francisco to (we don't know where yet)! Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
Sarah

My husband and I plan to move out of the SF Bay Area within the next 6 months due to prohibitive housing costs. We love the area (culture, outdoor activities, weather, diversity, restaurants, etc.) and wonder if there are other U.S. cities that offer a similar lifestyle without the high housing costs.

Aside from decent housing costs, our main criteria are living in a metropolitan area and nice weather (no long, cold winters - we can handle hot and humid summers and prefer sunny days to rainy/gloomy days).

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:28 AM
xx

ttt

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:56 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Susan

Sarah, I live in the SF bay area and have four friends who have moved to different spots in the US in the last year. Here's what they are reporting:

Bettendorf, IA: Part of the "quad city" area, not diverse, cold winters, but housing costs are great, people are nice, schools are good and there is a metro area. She's there to stay.

Washington DC: Great metro area, terrible traffic, better housing costs but not by much, nice in fall and spring. She can't wait to move back here.

Austin TX: Fun metro area, diversity, affordable housing, no long winters. They are happy there.

Atlanta, GA: Diversity, good metro area, housing costs much better than here. She wishes she'd moved to Athens, GA instead because the community is more like SF, but still close enough to Atlanta. She thinks they will move back to CA when her oldest is ready for high school (schools are not great). Humid in summer and they had a dusting of snow this winter.

Don't know if this helps but at least it might get a conversation started for you. If you own a house here think long and hard about leaving. I think it must be darned impossible to buy back into this market after you've left it. Good luck!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:05 PM
kkj

Sounds like you are headed on the right path by thinking about what you want. I moved from Chicago to Phoenix four years ago and am quite happy. What I did is make a list of everything I wanted -- weather, housing costs etc. and then picked a city that best suited what I needed. I would continue on the track that you have started. List everything that you want and then one by one go through major cities to see which one matches the best.

Good luck.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:16 PM
charles

San Antonio, TX has about the same climate as Austin and the housing costs are much less.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:17 PM
d.embody

We live in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida which is just a little southeast of Jacksonville and just above St. Augustine. While it is not a cheap area by any means, it is certainly a lot better than the Bay area. (By the way, that's where my husband and I are both from). It is so lovely here--we live less than a mile to the beach, and we're 20 minutes to St. Augustine. Ponte Vedra is pretty self contained, so shopping,etc. is very close by. Good luck in your search.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Nan

Sarah, I live in NY & hear you about the prohibitive cost of living.Everything's expensive here.Auto insurance,utilities,property taxes,housing. I was on a cruise & was talking to a Southerner & told him that my property taxes were 15,000 per year. He asked that's with the "moe-gage" right? WRONG! How about looking into Raleigh NC?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Sarah

These suggestions are great! It's interesting to see that several of the locations mentioned are already on our short list. We have seriously considered Austin, TX and enjoyed a visit there (what heat!!) and used to live in the DC area, so that's still on our list. My husband is researching Charlotte, Raleigh, Charlottesville, Atlanta and San Antonio. We have yet to visit any of those for any length of time, but hope to do so.

Thanks for all your suggestions and if anyone else has input, we'd love to hear!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Leni

We're from the SF area too and are thinking about the same thing !
Have you considered San Diego (and areas close to San Diego)?
Less expensive housing, better weather,
good restaurants, but still in California ! We're thinking about moving there in a year or two (?)

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Sarah

Yes, we have considered San Diego (and this would make my husband's life easier - he's an atty and staying w/in CA would mean not having to take the bar exam again).

Do you have any neighborhood suggestions? We currently live in Lower Pac Heights and like the Pac Heights/Russian Hill area. Also, do you know how housing costs compare? I hear it's less expensive, but I know it's more expensive relative to the rest of the cities we're looking at.

Thanks!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nina

Sarah, San Antonio,Austin & Raleigh are also on our list of reloacation possibilities! Would you please write in & let us know where you chose to move, & why it won over the other locations? Sincerely interested & need the extra help. Thanks -

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Sarah

Nina - I will write in, but this is something we may not do for several months. Have you been to any of those places? Austin is great and though I only went to San Antonio for one morning, I think that if I chose to move to that area, I would pick Austin over San Antonio b/c I have friends in the area and I really enjoyed the music scene in Austin. Very cool.
If you decide on a place, would love to hear where you end up! Good luck!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:48 PM
sdwoman

San Diego stinks!!! Can't go there after Northern California (unless you like major congested freeways, bad air, lower pay scale, truly narrow-minded people and maybe, IMO, the beginnings of small-minded culture!!)

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Suzie

If you ever want to see what it might cost you to move or how beneficial, financially it would be, check out this site to campare the cost of living between where you're living now and where you're thinking of moving. http://homeadvisor.msn.com/PickAPlace/CompareCities.asp

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:11 AM
bos

Portsmouth, NH

small city with plenty of charm, history, culture. 1 hour from Boston if you're really in the need of something extra. Much lower housing costs than Boston and especially SF.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Linda

Take a trip to Louisville! Wonderful, friendly place with diversity and very good cost of living. Easy to get around here, beautiful parks, river, great restaurants and some of the best medical centers in the USA. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce- just traveled a lot and always want to come back here!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Linda

Take a trip to Louisville! Wonderful, friendly place with diversity and very good cost of living. Easy to get around here, beautiful parks, river, great restaurants and some of the best medical centers in the USA. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce- just traveled a lot and always want to come back here!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:29 AM
lisahhh

I live in Austin...It's a great city, but FYI - attorneys here are a dime a dozen. I've been told that the pay for attorney's here isn't as good as in other Texas cities. (Then again, Austin is probably the best Texas city. You take a little, give a little.)

If you move to Austin or SA, be prepared for hot weather. Summer starts around April 1 and continues to about October.... We have many days over 100 (I think we had 40 last summer) and when it's not 100, it's usually 90 something.

I can go on and on, but if you have more questions, email me at [email protected] (Reference fodors in the subject. I get lots of junk mail and delete a lot!)

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Tulanian

I moved from the Bay Area to New Orleans ten years ago and truly love N.O. I think SF and NO share some similarities...great architecture, wonderful restaurants, art and culture, diversity, etc. The summers can be long and hot but the rest of the year is pretty nice. (Case in point: 70 and sunny today).

Two friends have followed me to N.O. and both found good jobs within a few weeks. One problem was finding good schools, but they eventually did. (You did not mention kids, so I assume it's not an issue for you).

Housing costs will be much less, too, although the really historic neighborhoods (French Quarter, Marigny, Garden District, Bayou St. John, etc.) have rapidly increased pricewise. Still, you'll find bargains compared to the Bay Area.