Moving...California or Florida?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Sandy

Moving...California or Florida?

Approximately 2 years ago we made plans to move to a warmer climate and narrowed choices to either California or Florida. We did a lot of research (through Fodor replies as well) and the general concensus was California due to it's year round moderate climates (more appealing to us than the hot and humidity in Florida). Shortly after our decision, we had to put our moving plans on hold due to a relatives illness and ultimate death. We've gotten through this and once again are ready to pursue our move. Now, I'm starting to have second thoughts and want to confirm that chosing Southern California over Florida is the right decision. The replies we received several years ago were mostly from people who had lived in both states and much preferred California over Florida. I still wonder why so many people opt for Florida over California....?? Obviously, the choices are the same for them as they are for us now. Florida must have something going for it for them to chose Florida over California. My husband is ready to list our home and I just need confirmation that we're doing the right thing....my nerves are shot and my husband is ready to move tomorrow! Feedback and a sedative needed....Thanks, Sandy (59 and aging quickly)

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Lonnie

Dear Sandy, I'm sorry you are under such stress with your moving decision. Not sure if I'm much help or not but I did live in Tampa, Florida for 4 years during the late 1980's. I now live in Southern California. In my opinion, California does have it heads above. The weather here is much better than Florida's was. The humidity and insects were not welcome during my Florida living. Granted, California is not perfect either....too many people keep moving here (so why am I responding to your posting??) but IMO, Southern California is much nicer living than Florida was. The only thing I can think of that I liked better about Florida was NO STATE INCOME TAX. Other than this, I can't think of one other advantage. Lonnie
P.S. Southern California also has the 3peat Lakers!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:28 PM
xx

The housing prices in Florida are significantly less and no income taxes - those are two pretty good reasons to choose Florida. But given that, if you can afford our beautiful sunny California, I'd head on out west. Just be prepared to deal with our multi-cultural neighborhoods and traffic jams.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Californian

I don't know Florida, but have lived in So. California all my life. Born here. This place is nothing but urban sprawl and dull unattractive architecture. I'm sick of of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm sick of smog. Whenever I fly home to LA from anyplace that is green, and look down from the plane for the last hour of the flight, I see nothing but cracker box houses through a haze of smog....can't for the life of me figure out why people keep coming except that Mexico is worse. But for midwesterners, I can't imagine that absense of snow is enough to offset all the negatives.

Have you researched real estate costs here? My boss just purchased a 2 bedroom 1 bath, 1600 square foot house in Santa Monica for $800,000! Insanity!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:01 AM
teresa

Before I would move to southern california I would check out the whole
state. I dont' know where you live now
but there are many nice areas in california that are near water. Unless
you have to be by the ocean. There are
beautiful areas near rivers, lakes, and
they are not so overcrowded. If income
is not an issue I would consider the middle of the state. Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo or Monterey area for the
ocean. San Diego has the best climate in california in my opinion but that is
too far south and very expensive. Stay
away from Sacramento city limits but the
suburbs of sacramento are great. Country
property is very affordable near Camanche lake, Jackson and Placerville area--the foothills. Stay away from highway 50 as your main access it is too
congested.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:30 AM
My2Cents

I ahve lived in Ca and visited Fla.I live in NYC.
If I could choose between the two,California would be my choice!
Florida is great for a month or two to escape a NE winter,but I think I would die of boredom if I lived there,I don't play golf and tennis is not my chosen daily activity.
The bugs,humidity and (please do not take offense,Floridians) the proximity of rednecks,(this is based on visits and what I have heard/seen while there)
all lead me to think that I would be most happy in a state that has beaches/warm climate most of the year,some sort of culture (Ballet,Opera,Theatre) and museums.
And,although I realize California has earthquakes, I am more concerned about hurricanes blowing my house away every Hurrican Season! At least they don't have Earthquake season yet

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:04 AM
sunny

I do see one flaw in the question: You can't compare one section of Cal. with all of Fla.

There are some basics that are true: FL is more humid and hot in the summer, and the taxes and cost of living there are much lower than in CA. But if you're talking about living in FL, you really have to decide on an area -- I'm no FL booster, but there is some diversity there.

West Palm is different from Orlando; Orlando is different from Jacksonville; Jacksonville is different from Boca Raton; and so on. So, where in FL do you want to live?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Mag

Hi, I have lived in both Southern California (Orange County and San Diego) and Northeast and South Florida. We currently live in Jacksonville. Now, hands down, the weather in California is awesome. Especially in San Diego, it is a great climate year-round. There's lots to do there because it is a great city.
However, the downside to California...the cost of living.It is VERY expensive to live in California. Property values alone are staggering, especially in desireable areas like San Diego, Orange County, San Fransisco area. Florida is a lot less expensive. The home we live in, brand new beautiful home, cost us less than half what we would have paid in California. But overall, I think I enjoyed California a lot more. There's pros and cons to both!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

The middle section of the California coastline is some of the most expensive real estate in the entire state. You'll have a tough time finding a shack under $500K in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo or Monterey.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxxxx

California native,

If you hate California that much, then why don't you do all of us Californians a favor and move. Although I am from San Jose, I have visited LA and think that it is a great city (beaches, culture, restaurnats, shopping, and great weather). What more do you want? San Jose is also a nice place to live with lots to offer in terms of museums, perfoming arts, restaurants, etc. and only 30 miles to the Momterey Bay Area. The main obstacle is the cost of living. But as lon as you have a decent job, that should be no problem.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
xxxxx

California native,

If you hate California that much, then why don't you do all of us Californians a favor and move. Although I am from San Jose, I have visited LA and think that it is a great city (beaches, culture, restaurnats, shopping, and great weather). What more do you want? San Jose is also a nice place to live with lots to offer in terms of museums, perfoming arts, restaurants, etc. and only 30 miles to the Momterey Bay Area. The main obstacle is the cost of living. But as long as you have a decent job, that should be no problem.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Judy

Sandy, what I see missing from your posting is where you are currently living. I've found this to have the biggest impact on the CA versus FL decision. We are from the northeast, and it just seems that almost everyone here heads to FL (or NC) as opposed to CA. One reason is that they already know people there, or at least feel that there will be many people there that are transplanted from similar areas, such that they will have something in common with them and feel more at "home." There is also the geographic incentive in that they will be much closer to go back and see family and friends (and visa versa). And finally, FL (as already mentioned) is significantly cheaper in terms of income taxes, and especially property values.

I would imagine that people from the midwest to the west coast would favor CA for the same reasons of familiarity and geographic reasons as above. And although CA is so much more costly, the better climate can serve as the offsetting factor.

One final thought--have you considered Arizona?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Sandy

Thanks for the remarks guys. I'm calmer today and in better spirits than when I posted yesterday. We currencly live in Fargo, North Dakota...fine in the summer but brutal in the winters. We don't have children or grandchildren so this isn't a consideration. Maybe I should look into Arizona, but again maybe this is too hot in the summer. As of now, I'm leaning towards California. We're willing to settle for less home or apartment for better weather.I know that California is expensive, guess it's all supply and demand! We also would love to tootle over to Las Vegas on a whim which is another nice feature about California. Thanks again!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:30 PM
xxx

If you're retired and don't need an employment base, you might want to consider a very relaxing lifestyle over on Catalina Island.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:59 PM
k.d.

As a fellow North Dakotan, I understand your desire to get out the @!%#! out of here for the winters! You know, before you make your final decison, why don't you try both states? Put your stuff in storage, rent a condo (or whatever) for six months/year, and explore the states. What have you got to lose, besides time? You can change your residency when you make your decision. And if you decide wrong, move again - it's allowed!!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:30 PM
barbara

I'm in the same position as many having lived many years in Florida, I've lived in the Bay Area for the last 19. My family all still lives in Florida, so I go back yearly. I wouldn't live there again! The thing that makes CA more expensive than Fla is the state income tax and housing prices. Those aside, I think you get a far greater value for money spent in CA. I can have a fabulous meal for less in many great restaurants and the cost of produce straight from the farm is excellent (as well as the availability). There are a huge number of things to do out doors..and the natural beauty of CA is unsurpassed! Good luck with your decision.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:48 PM
James Tyson

California has quakes. When the big one happens you don't want to be there. Yes, Florida has hurricanes. But not every year. Earthquakes happen everyday in Calfornia. At least you know when a thunderstorm, hurricane, or even a rain shower is coming. Quakes give no warnings. Move to Florida. Welcome to the South!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:23 PM
stats

James Tyson, Every day? Really! I don't think so.

And hurricanes? Talk to the people who survived Hurricane Andrew.

Sandy, 59 years young. Go west, young woman, go west. And, hang in there. The best is yet to come.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Jack

We had to decide between Florida and California too, and chose coastal California.
Here is what the retirement books don't mention:
May Gray and June Gloom that runs into July. This is a marine layer keeps the mornings and often the late afternoons cloudy.
Over-priced supermarkets with poor produce.
Overcrowded highways almost all day long, not just at rush hour.
Very high fees for automobile registrations and drivers licences.
Not only high housing prices, but also often additional special real estate taxes in new developments and community association fees.
Very high gasoline prices.
The cost of earthquake insurance, if you get it, and about 60 percent of Californians do.
At least California doesn't have alligators. But there are coyotes.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:54 AM
cuban american

ah, the eternal debate between California and Florida. I find myself in the same quandry when i finish school next year. I'll probably choose California because I grew up there, but the cheap housing, swarthy men and sunny beach days in December of Florida is oh-so tempting. What to do, what to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO