Mountains within 2 hrs from Atlanta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Floridian craving to feel the fall season planning a last minute trip next weekend flying into Atlanta. Anyone know of either a bed & breakfast or resort that offers activities on site (will have one 11yr old) within a 2 hour drive from Atlanta?
Greatly appreciate any ideas due to time restraints
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Look at a map of North Georgia. Almost every town you see on highway 76 will have an option.

Big Canoe is one option. What kind of activities? Hiking options are available from any location including state parks. Here's one option for a resort - http://www.brasstownvalley.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

starrsville--thanks for the info. After searching the area decided on Clayton for rafting and horsebackriding. Ever been to the Dillard House?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM

Are you firm about going to Clayton?
It's a beautiful area, but there's a lot more to do in Blue Ridge.
Instead of a resort, you could rent a very nice cabin. Here's a cabin rental company that we've used for years:
www.blackbearcabinrentals.com
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM

seetheus, almost every weekend
Well, the area, not the Dillard House per se.
I've eaten at the Dillard House, but not stayed there. The horseback riding there is good. The horseback riding at Sunburst Stables west of Lake Burton is very good also.

A VERY nice B&B is nearby, but I'm not sure of their policy regarding an 11 year old. I'll check.

Lots of cabins to rent in the area too.

Are you planning to raft the Chattooga or go up to NC? Check the water levels with the outfitters befor you go. I would not take an 11 year old on Section 4 of the Chattooga.

You may consider renting a boat on Lake Burton for the day. Contact Anchorage Marine for more information.

Lots of good hikes in the area.

It's my favorite part of N Ga
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM

egret, more to do in Blue Ridge?
C'mon!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM

In Blue Ridge, you are very close to Chatanooga, you can take the sightseeing train, you can pick your own apples, you can go to the apple festival (runs two weekends in October), you can go to the three recreational areas, etc.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM

You can either go to the Smoky mountains or the Blue ridge parkway.Paul
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:53 AM

In the Clayton area, you can take the sightseeing train, you can pick apples, you can go to a festival every weekend (the Foxfire festival was last weekend), you are in the midst of a county that is 70% national forest and surrounded by other recreational areas. Hikes, waterfalls, three mountain lakes, kayaking, horseback riding, the highest state park in Georgia, Tallulah Gorge, the best whitewater rafting in Georgia and the most amazing kayaking for professionals when the water is released in the gorge. I noticed that the biggest apple barn has a corn maze this year. Tiger Winery may not be a draw for an 11 year old, but he/she may enjoy a double feature at the Tiger Drive-in.

Nothing against Chattanooga, but if you were in Blue Ridge, why would you want to go to Chattanooga? Well, if you did (want to leave the mtns to go to a city) from Clayton you could go to Atlanta or Asheville in the same amount of time.

Per my first response to the OP, there are a lot of great mountain towns along 76 to choose from. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them - just don't agree that there is more to do in Blue Ridge than Clayton.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM

Clarification - the highest state park in Georgia is Black Rock Mountain. It is a gorgeous park with gorgeous views, campsites and cabins (although you won't be able to get into either at the last minute). There's a .25 mile hike to a waterfall there and a longer 2.2 mile Tennessee Rock trail that is nice. There's a longer 7 mile trail too.

Tallulah Gorge is another state park about 9 miles away. A nice, level walking trail around the rim (good for all ages) and other trails. The canyon view is gorgeous. There's a nice interpretive center there too. The kayaking in the gorge is for professionals only - during release weekends - but viewing is possible.

So, those are the two state parks in the county. There are other National Forest areas with hikes, waterfalls, etc.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:37 AM

Water levels in GA are at all time lows. Need to check this if you are planning on rafting. From what I understand, nothing is worth running right now. As for which part of northern GA, everyone likes different sections for different reasons. But if it were up to me, I'd drive the extra hour or so and spend your time in the Smoky Mtns...

Starrsville - I'd disagree with you about Blue Ridge area. First, there is the Cohutta Wilderness which is only the largest wilderness area east of the Mississippi. There is also this little thing called the Benton Mackaye trail for hiking, only one of the most famous trails in America. The Ocoee for rafting (although not as fun as the Chattooga), and for family fun apple picking/festivals in the Eiljay area.

I prefer to use all sections of north GA and learn more about each one with each trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

"why would you want to go to Chattanooga?"

Isn't it obvious? "SEE SEVEN STATES FROM ROCK CITY".

LOL
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:07 AM

I agree the Cohutta is gorgeous.
Glad you enjoy the Benton MacKaye trail. The Bartram trail is nice too. Friends hiked to Pickens Nose this weekend and the photos were spectacular. I agree with enjoying all sections of N Ga. It was hard deciding where to buy, I'm happy with the area I chose. I don't recommend it over other areas of N Ga on this board and this thread is an example. Just found the comment that there is more to do in Blue Ridge surprising.

When someone has decided that they are going to visit that area, I do share suggestions of restaurants, things to do, etc. There's so much to choose from all along the 76 corridor across the state.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM

LOL, Patrick.
Someone sheepishly asked me if I would go to Rock City with him over the holidays. I said "sure". I love kitsch - and I love Lookout Mountain. I have family that lived there and I spent summers just a few miles south. But, would I leave Blue Ridge to go to Chattanooga? I wouldn't, but different strokes for different folks
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:21 AM

Here's another vote for Blue Ridge. I was just up there at our family's cabin this past weekend, and the weather was just gorgeous! There is a lot to do in Blue Ridge. Hiking, waterfalls, downtown shops, fudge (my favorite), etc. I recommend Mercier Orchards for lunch and their fried pies are delicious!

Personally, I do not recommend the "scenic train", as when we took it we did not find it scenic at all and my father-in-law still gives me a hard time for making them go. Even for an 11 yo, may not be very exciting.

Brasstown is about a 30 min drive North and you may want to consider that resort as well b/c I believe they have lots of on-site activities. Otherwise, a cabin rental is a great suggestion.

My biggest tip is to avoid driving through Atlanta during rush hour!!! It added an hour to our drive last Friday, and since you will be driving up from the airport it would be much longer.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM

Actually, will be hiking the Jacks River Falls trail in Cohutta this weekend, anyone have any experience on it? Worth it? Leaves starting to change up north yet?
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM

No color in NE mtns last weekend.
Here's the Brasstown Bald webcam -
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions...ng-1-south.htm
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice! Unfortunately, rafting is out due to water levels. The Dillard House is still the front runner due to offering riding on site for my daughter. Starrsville-can you forward more info on the apple barn/maze and how far is the drive-in from Dillards? Sounds like hiking will take up the rest of our precious limited time. You are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area--counting down until we can move out of Florida!!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM

Hey seetheus,
Here's a link to the corn maze -
http://www.hillsideorchard.com/retail/index.html

As you drive up from Atlanta on 441, you'll go through
Tallulah Falls - where the gorge is
past Tiger
into Clayton
through Mountain City
into Dillard

The corn maze is a bit off 441 in Tiger. Look for the signs for Hillside Orchards.

Y'all may enjoy going to an old-fashioned drive-in, although I don't know anything about this weekend's movie -
http://www.tigerdrivein.com/index.html

Breakfast at the Dillard House is amazing. If you don't want to eat that much, Miss Meg's in Clayton is my favorite breakfast place. Not much to look at, but GREAT food - and usually long waits. They have great seafood fresh from the coast at night too (only seafood).

My favorite lunch place is Grapes and Beans in Clayton. http://www.grapesandbeans.com/
If you take your laptop, you can get wireless there. Also at the new Clayton Pharmacy with an old-fashioned soda shop.

Good Mexican and Italian options for dinner. Mama G's is owned by transplants from NYC.

Cupboard Cafe in Dillard has an extensive menu with country cooking, salads and entrees you'd find at any diverse restaurants. The owners used to own a restaurant in Roswell (north Atlanta). They've opened a fine dining restaurant in Dillard too, but I'm not sure that's what y'all are looking for.

Stop at Osage Farms produce barn to just look and maybe buy jelly to take home - or a loaf of amazing cinnamon apple bread. Your daughter will enjoy looking at the glass enclosed bee hive there. The little BBQ stand next to it has some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten - run by local caterers - with a 100 rating by the health dept. Oinkers BBQ south of Clayton is good too - but not AS good. We often grab a quick lunch to go there.

LOTS of short hikes in the area. I can provide links if you want.

I'm going to have a house full of company this weekend or I'd offer to meet up. If there's enough water in the marina to get the boat out a few of us will probably go out for an hour or so on Lake Burton. Email me at starrsvillega at yahoo if you have any interest - or just want more info off the boards. Friends who are photography buffs are coming up to do some fall photography and 2 or 3 of us will be off on more relaxing adventures

Be sure to get out and just walk along the rim of Tallulah Gorge.

Have a great time in the mountains. It's (obviously) one of my very favorite places on this earth

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Starrsville--thank you so much for all of the wonderful info! Can't wait to escape the heat & rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -