Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Mount Constitution - Moran State Park Orcas Island, Washington
Notices

Mount Constitution - Moran State Park Orcas Island, Washington

Jul 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Mount Constitution - Moran State Park Orcas Island, Washington

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Washington soon. I would to go to up to Mt Constitution. My question is can you drive all the way up to the top and once there, do you have to climb the tower to see the views? I'm asking because I'd like to take my father, but any hiking or climbing would be out of the question. Also, how high is the tower? About how many steps and are they steep?

Thanks you!
Jul 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM

You can drive to the top, and you can get wonderful views without climbing the tower. Can't answer your questions about height or number of steps.
Jul 29th, 2013, 08:24 PM

I think the climb up the tower is within the capability of most visitors. Perhaps you can count the steps in the these drawings of it: http://content.lib.washington.edu/cd...c&CISOPTR=1732

HTtY

PS My favorite mountains views in Washington are on the drive to Artist Point at Mt. Baker and several drives within Mt. Rainier National Park.
Jul 31st, 2013, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. That wonderful news about seeing the views without climbing the tower. Now to convenience my dad to leave the house!

happytrailstoyou, thanks for the link and your favorite mountain views. I haven't been to Mt. Baker, that will be another trip. I have been to Mt. Rainier, but it was a very long time ago. Sounds like I need to come to Washington for a longer trip and just go from mountain to mountain.
Aug 28th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

happytrailstoyou - thank you for the suggestion of Mt. Baker. We opted to go there because of the long ferry waits for Orcas Island this summer. Mt. Baker is absolutely beautiful. I'd put it in the category of one of the must beautiful places I've ever been. I will have to go back so I can hike some of the trails I didn't get to do this trip.

Again thank you!
Aug 28th, 2013, 04:03 PM

littledutch,

Thanks so much for the follow-up. Living in Seattle, we drive to Mt. Baker at least once a year. It is a beautiful place and (being on the way to nowhere) it is seldom overrun with visitors.

HTtY

Search this Thread