Motor Home rental

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Home rental

We shall be in Anchorage and area late August, early September. Considering renting a motor home. What is your opinion on Great Alaska Holidays? Or Clippership? Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM

twoaussie,
We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays. It was a great experience. They are a first class operation. Don't know anything about Clippership. One thing to be aware, whoever you rent from will give you a paper with all the defects on the inside and outside of the RV, be sure to check it over CAREFULLY before you leave. They will examine it with a fine tooth comb when you return. We didn't have any problems and I don't want to alarm you only alert you to the importance of knowing what defects/blemishes are on the RV before you leave their lot. It was the best vacation of our lives. Enjoy. Hope to vist downunder someday!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kygirl. We are from Australia, but live in Florida now. Oz is a wonderful country to visit.
How long were you in Alaska - we have two weeks.
I think the motorhome will be a good way to travel.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM

twoaussies,
Sorry for presuming you were in Australia. We were there from July 23 and left on August 8, so 16 nights 17 days. For me personally, there is no other way to see Alaska than using a motor home. You'll have a terrific time. It's great to park on the side of the road for FREE! It was nice to only unpack once and eat when we wanted. Just found out my boss is visiting OZ this summer - I'm soooo jealous. If you'd like our itinerary let me know. You can then adjust to what YOU like to do. We were a family of 5, kids 22, 18, 15.

kygirl

PS Florida's a good place to be especially in the winter. We may make it to the panhandle for a week this summer.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Also, be aware that there are some roads here you are not allowed to drive a rental vehicle on. The rental car companies don't allow travel on certain unpaved roads - I am guessing the RV companies are the same. You might inquire ahead of time if you are going to take any of those roads (Denali Hwy, roads to Manley and Circle Hot Springs, road to McCarthy).

If you do drive on those roads and there is damage, you have violated the terms of the your contract and you will be personally responsible for any damage, plus 'down' time of the vehicle while it is getting repaired.

September will be cooler weather and you will almost definitely get some rain while you are here. Stay warm, dress in layers and avoid cotton.

Good thing is that is a good time of year to see wildlife.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
mlw

We did a late August/ Early Sept trip in Alaska, renting from GAH, and were very happy with them. We loved this way of seeing Alaska!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM

I have spent hours on the rv and alaska websites trying to find out information about camping in Alaska and thought I would check out fodors. Low and behold, the first post is exactly what we want to do. We are cruising for a week ending up in Seward, take the train to Anchorage and pick up our rv. Not sure of the order yet but will hit the denali area and then back down to the kenai pennisula; seward, homer and in between, then back to anchorage. My question to those of you that have done this: How do you find campgrounds that are reasonable (well cheap actually) and that are a little more nature related instead of a parking lot. I do not want to pay $35 for a parking lot. I don't know where to begin. I have searched for state parks etc and can't find any info on camping. I do know that denali requires 3 days which we don't have. Only 7 days/8 nights total. PLEASE HELP, I will be forever indebted to you.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
mlw

Purchase a copy of Milepost. It should be available at any bookstore with travel books. It is a very good tool for planning and then also to have with you when on the road in Alaska. We did the Kenai peninsula by RV and there are plenty of National Forest Service, State parks,etc. for a more nature oriented stay. Very reasonable.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Thank you MLW, I did not know that Milepost had campgrounds in it too. I have it on order from the library so I can take a look. Next year I will purchase the current one before we go.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for info. Kygirl - would certainly like to have your itinerary. The area is so vast my mind is getting bogged down. Also ideas of campgrounds. [email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM

twoaussies,
I have sent the itinerary to your email. It does get mind boggling. We camped in a Home Depot lot, on the side of the road a couple of times but our favorites were the national parks, state parks or areas where there were trees.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM

I recommend you to obtain this book from amazon.com: Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping. It is a great reference for exactly want you asked for. We used their recommnendations and we were not disappointed. One bit of advise, be prepared with bug spray. We have used Great Alaskan 3 times and highly recommend them. Top quality products supplied in the camper. You will just have to stop at the grocery store and you will all set. FYI 10 mpg, pay attention to the distance you travel and obtain fuel where ever possible.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM

bdawk-Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely look for that book! Glad you had great luck with Great Alaskan as we have decided on using them too. They seem to run a class operation, my dh talked to them Sat. Are there any must sees, stays or do's that you could recommend? It appears that the mpg is better than I expected....with the price of gas, I like that idea .

kygirl or bdawk - if either of you would share your itineraries with me too, that would be very much appreciated. Traveling times are so hard to figure out what we will have time for. We are traveling the first week of September 09 (Labor Day week)

campingdream at hotmail dot com
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Sorry forgot to add MLW since you were there at the same time. Where you in the Kenai Peninsula over Labor Day? I have read that it can be very busy.

Thanks again all.

Sorry to the OP for butting in.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Our first camping trip, we left Anchorage headed to Denali. We reserved Savage River for 2 nights. Only took the Shuttle Bus only once. Great Alaskan allowed us to travel the Denali Highway so went headed out and spent the night a State campground. Very rustic camping and very rough traveling. We like to fish so we do most of our traveling around the different fishing seasons. The various different fishing seasons end in September and is pretty much limited to the local Alaskans at that time of the year. Another trip we headed down the Sterling to the Kenai Peninsula. We stopped at the wildlife Center near Girdwood and recommend paying a visit to see the animals up close. Souvenirs are the cheapest there and proceeds go to the animal recovery programs. We have taken Glacier tours via Whittier. Seward's trips are longer and the seas can be a little rough. If you have good sea legs, Seward would be a better Wildlife & Glacier combo. My favorite campground is the Quartz Creek campground @ Kenai Lake near Cooper Landing. Soldotna is a good stopping place if you head south from Anchorage. And since you are traveling at the end of the season, a lot of the touristy things might be closed for the year. Denali usually closes by mid September, possibly earlier as snow can come early in a season.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks bdawk....you actually hit about everywhere we are planning to go in 8 days . We get off the ship and spend the night is Seward (and do the kenai boat tour that day)then take the bus to Anchorage to pick up RV. Then hope to go north to Denali and then back south to Homer (and as much in between as possible). I will keep Quartz Creek in mind as I haven't found much appealing in Homer. Also the souvenirs and Soldotna. We were thinking thinking Riley Creek in Denali. Would you recommend Savage River instead?
Thanks for your help!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Personally, I liked Savage River because there are trees that divide the campsites. But the best part, when I stepped outside my door, I was looking directly at the mountain. We were just fortunate to have had the mountain out for the 2 days we were there.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM

If you are coming into Seward, I wouldn't drive back down to Homer. I would head north and check out what's around Wasilla. The book I recommended from Amazon is the best resource for the different parks in the general area. Spend a day walking around downtown Anchorage and enjoy a leisurely lunch.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM

The only reason that we are going to Homer is for the bear viewing tour that I so hope to take. I think I am going to do a whole other post with my complete itinerary for help. I just don't know what to do. Too many things for 1 week. I sure hope to get back some day, but you just never know.