Reload this Page >

Motion Sickness in Kaui

Search

Motion Sickness in Kaui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:03 PM
carol

Motion Sickness in Kaui

I'm going to be spending a week in Kaui in April 2001. Since I get motion sickness, we won't be taking any boat or helicopter tours. Will there still be enough for us to see and do without those activities?

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 07:49 AM
phyllis

carol-
you will have plenty to do, and the some locals will be grateful for one less helicopter rider. there is a bit of controversy as to whether the helicopter tours detract from everyone else's experience. that being said, i'm not sure how else motion sickness can affect you, so i hope these recommendations are helpful.
hiking...waimea canyon and na pali are two very popular destinations and hiking trails range from easy to difficult. if you enjoy flora but not the hiking, there are several botanical gardens to visit and the variety of plant life will astound you. snorkleing...there are several beaches around the island where you can rent snorkle equipment and see fish without riding on a boat. of course there are many interesting historical sites and since kauai is so small, its a short car ride from place to place (i assume you can tolerate car travel). we travel to kauai to rest our senses, so we find the beach and the scenery reason enough to visit. e mail me if you'd like to know more. its one of our favorite places.
phyllis

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Cheryl

Why not get the motion sickness patch and enjoy doing everything! I got air and sea sick both and started taking Dramamine. It worked but made me very drousy. I now get a prescription patch you put behind your ear that lasts for days or hours depending on your need. Only side effect is a little dry mouth. I highly recommend it.

Cheryl

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 04:16 PM
mary r

I am very prone to motion sickness (I got sick on the boat trip around the Napali coast), but did just fine on the helicopter trip-- did not need to use the "aloha bag".

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Frank

Airsickness on the helicopter ride will depend on the wind conditions at the time of your flight. My brief 45 helicopter ride landed just in time...any longer in the air and I would have "had a problem" (even with dramamine)!

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 06:50 PM
kal

Hello, We took a heli-ride pre-Iniki with Jack Harter Helicopters. We actually got Jack as our pilot. This was '89, so don't know if he's still flying.

He made the flight so comfortable for all of us and took it nice and slow.

In '94 we took a post-Iniki flight with another outfit and that pilot thought he was TC on Magnum, PI. We almost blew chunks.

So, guess it may all depend on what type of pilot you get.

It's def. worth the risk. Beautiful!
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Theresa

Cheryl,

I am a young woman whose husband loves to sail. I also get alot of motion sickness. Dramamine has helped, but I am interested in the patch. What do you have to do to get the prescription? Is it available any other way?

Theresa

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 08:29 AM
candace

You can definitely enjoy the beauty of Kaui w/out boating or a helicopter ride(which are great). If your into horses they have great packages were you can horseback ride to a cliff, then hike down to a lake w/a waterfall,, and then they serve you lunch. It was so much fun. Good luck & happy travels*

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Dick

I'm surpised that no one has mentioned the wrist bands with the silver button that acts at a pressure point to eliminate motion sickness. They really work!

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 08:15 AM
xxx

Ginger capsules (found at the health food store) provide relief from quesiness.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Joan Canu

You are so lucky!! Kauai was THE most beautiful place I've ever visited. And yes - there's more than enough to do without the helicopter or boat tours. Paddle a kayak along the Wailea River. Drive along the coast to the Lighthouse and caves. Every where you look the scenery gets more and more beautiful. My husband has terrible bouts of motion sickness also and he loved our Hawaiian vacation.