Mother Daughter Trip to Newport Beach, Costa Mesa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2023, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My 26 year old daughter and I are visiting Southern CA for a week in April. We will be spending a few nights in SD, a few in LA, and in between we are hoping to spend one night in OC for some great shopping. We usually stay at 5 star hotels, but since this will be for just one night and we will hopefully be out shopping most of the time, paying for Pelican Hill or Montage or Monarch seems nuts. We will have a rental car so I am hoping to find someplace conveniently located to all the shopping, that is very clean, and where we can come and go easily. The Balboa Bay Resort has great reviews. Would this meet the bill? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure it meets the "come and go easily" criteria. There is a lot of traffic on that stretch of Pacific Coast Highway. Not sure what kind of shopping you were going to do. If it's South Coast Plaza, there are a few 4 star hotels nearby. I'm a big fan of the Ayres chain. There is one in Costa Mesa.

https://www.ayreshotels.com/ayres-ho...-newport-beach
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 03:43 PM

Great shopping = South Coast Plaza
Agree with mlgb about staying at the BBC. Yes, you’re on the harbor but not the most attractive stretch of PCH.
Since you’ll have a car, I’d stay in Newport Beach, take a look at the recently renovated Marriott near Fashion Island,
https://www.marriott.com/search/hote...rshaCode=LAXNB. It’s a hop, skip, and jump from there to SCP.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much mlgb and bon_voyage! Both those hotels look great!
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 11:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
If in Newport Beach, go to The Crab Cooker for grilled lobster tails, scallops, shrimp. A great little place, just completely restored.
Whenever we are anywhere nearby, we plan a day around eating there.
Directly across from the Newport Beach pier.

https://thecrabcooker.com
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 01:35 PM

Question!!!

What is so unique & unusual about shops in South Coast Plaza????? Isn't it like the local mall in "anywhere" USA????

When I lived in Newport Beach & Laguna Beach a half-century ago, we avoided South Coast Plaza because we thought it was tacky. My wife & I shopped at Fashion Island in Newport, or in Laguna Beach. As I recall, there were not many shops in Newport Beach proper, or Balboa when I lived nearby.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Without knowing what the OP is shopping for, I don't think the choice is that simple. There are high end stores at SCP that aren't at "Anytown Mall USA" or at Fascist Island, such as Hermès.

I'm not a big shopper, I gather you aren't either.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 25th, 2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 05:54 PM

Stu, things have, in fact, changed in that half century since you lived in Laguna .
South Coast Plaza now has a high concentration of luxury brands, including many from Europe, https://www.southcoastplaza.com/dire...SABEgInPfD_BwE.
The development of a major performing arts complex nearby joined most recently by a new building for the Orange County Museum of Art has contributed to making that area of Costa Mesa a destination.
Fashion Island still has the draw of being open air and in Newport Beach, but, and I say this with regret because I lived in NB until very recently, it can’t hold a candle to SCP in the overall quality of the shops, https://www.fashionisland.com/directory.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 07:04 PM

Wow. That's amazing. SCP was a low-life place when we were there. Things can change in 50 years.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Oh no - I am definitely not looking for high end shopping and also not for a mall. I was under the impression that we could spend a day shopping at the lab anti mall, the so co and the oc mix, fashion island, balboa island, and the drive on Bristol Street to S. Coast Plaza. If that is not the case, is there a better place to spend a night near to LA or SD for my 26yo daughter and I to enjoy shopping? On this mother/daughter trip, I promised her one whole day to shop for clothes and accessories in a way we can't do at home. Looking for boutiques and funky little shops. We're from NJ and basically just have malls. Thanks again!
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 08:06 AM

Azh111, OC offers every flavor of shopping; all of the places you mentioned could work. I’m not sure about their current states, however, having rarely shopped during the first couple of years of the pandemic and then preoccupied with moving. I don’t think you could do them all in a day, too much time involved in getting from A to B. Fashion Island is a mall with the advantage of being open air. You can also walk around the perimeter of Balboa Island, lovely harbor views, and take the little ferry over to the Peninsula. I don’t know if its business district has a directory but all the others likely do. Laguna Beach would be another option, also Old Town Orange.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 08:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Laguna Beach has adorable boutique shops your daughter would probably enjoy, if she likes funky clothes & accessories. So does Balboa Island.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Elsewhere Vintage in Old Towne Orange, https://www.facebook.com/elsewherevintage. Old Towne Orange used to be all antique stores. With the expansion of Chapman University it’s getting more of a college student vibe including a branch of the trendy Urth Caffé. Like Laguna Beach, it’s what I think of as a real place, a place that has grown organically. Not sprung fully grown out of the head of a developer. Maybe pair it with the Lab and the Camp which are across the street from one another on Bristol. Check opening days/times for stores not in malls.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 03:29 PM

mlgb, I haven't heard or thought of "Fascist Island" since I worked at "The Broadway" as a freshman at UCI!

I love the shopping in Laguna Beach and Balboa Island. It's basically wandering the town at the water's edge perusing art galleries, bathing suit shops, and a variety of shops. Too bad the old Pottery Shack is permanently closed. Take the ferry on Balboa Island to Newport Beach and ride the ferris wheel.

I like the Inn at Laguna Beach, although I haven't stayed there for 10 years, the reviews still look good.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kailani
mlgb, I haven't heard or thought of "Fascist Island" since I worked at "The Broadway" as a freshman at UCI!

I love the shopping in Laguna Beach and Balboa Island. It's basically wandering the town at the water's edge perusing art galleries, bathing suit shops, and a variety of shops. Too bad the old Pottery Shack is permanently closed. Take the ferry on Balboa Island to Newport Beach and ride the ferris wheel.

I like the Inn at Laguna Beach, although I haven't stayed there for 10 years, the reviews still look good.
I'm certain I picked that up from a UCI graduate in the late 70's.
Old Feb 26th, 2023, 05:06 PM

As I said I'm not a shopper but there are some pedestrian shopping areas in Solana Beach and Del Mar in San Diego.
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again. I think we will be in the right area and can make a day of it! Really appreciate the help!