Reload this Page >

motels-sunset district-San Francisco.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 11:56 PM
chris

We are planning a few days in San Francisco in May and are looking for budget accomadation.Looking through some brochures we have noted some reasonably priced motels on Judah Street, Sunset District. Can anyone advise us to the safety etc of the area. thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Emily

My parents-in-law live in that area and it is perfectly safe, mostly middle-class residential, with a few pleasant but nondescript shops and restaurants. The drawback is that Sunset is several miles away from most of the things that tourists want to see, with the exception of Golden Gate Park. In order to get into the City, you will have to take a 20-30 minute ride on the Muni. If you only have a few days to spend, that won't be the best use of your time. See if you can find someplace closer to the city center: Fishermen's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square, etc.

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 08:52 PM
edie

i was in SF for three days this fall, and we stayed app 6 blocks off union square. i wouldn't recommend union square b/c it's basically just major dept. stores, as well as stores in any mall, like Express. And, off one side seemed to be the business district, and the other, (where we were) was a little icky for my taste.
If i were advising someone who had never been there and only had a few days, i would highly recommend Fishermans wharf area. all the stuff you want to see is right there, boat tours, ferry to sausalito, alcatraz, the pier, ghirardelli Sq. and you can easily get to north beach and chinatown from there

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Jud Compton

In a couple of weeks, we're staying at the Columbus Motor Inn, very close to Fisherman's Wharf and to cable car. It's in the AAA TourBook. We're paying $91 for three of us.

We have a walking tour of San Francisco on our web site ... http://www.geocities.com/judcomp ... and also have a list of attractions that we're using in April that I could send as an e-mail attachment.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Peter

Sunset is too far out...look into a motel on Lombard Street. They are less expensive than Union Square but closer to Fishermans Wharf and downtown than Sunset area. Call the SF toursit/information center for more ideas. Also look into a Hotel called Cartwright. It is not too expensive and is close to cable cars and union square. San Francisco is a Wonderful city...have fun!

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 01:33 PM
kam

Also look at Pacific Heights Inn on Union Street near Van Ness.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 12:28 PM
terri

http://www.thelaurelinn.com in the Pacific Heights area near California and Presidio
$129 - $149 with free parking. Just looked at it recently and was impressed.