Motel reservations for a late Dec/early Jan road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like my husband, son and a friend of my son will be road-tripping to the Rose Bowl. I'm normally a great believer in having reservations. And they already have one for the LA area portion of the trip. But, in this case, I'm wondering whether they aren't better off winging it for the drive out and back.

For one thing, they'd like to be able to keep pushing on as long as one of them is up to driving. For another, they want to be able to change routes according to weather conditions. They'll be starting in the Chicago 'burbs and ideally would like (again, weather permitting) to go out one way and back another. Probably 55 to 40 to 44 out and then back through Utah, Colorado and then either 70 or 80 the rest of the way.

At that time of the year, do you think they're likely to have trouble getting chain motel rooms on short notice?
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM

My sister and I took a cross-country road trip last summer. We had a laptop with us and each night would research how far we thought we could go the next day; then we would call in the morning to make a reservation at the next destination. It worked perfectly, and I would think it would be no different in the winter.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, I don't. I'd be a little more concerned about the ROUTE at that time of year, especially if they are planning to take I-70 through the pass(es) in Colorado and the possibility of blowing snow/ground blizzards especially through the Great Divide Basin on I-80 in Wyoming. Then again, they may get very clear weather and no problems.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, azzure and Dukey1. But I guess I posted too soon! The friend who's going along told my son about a deal he heard about from other Badgers who're going. Turns out Hot Wire has a good deal on a flight to Vegas and a 6 day car rental that actually works out to be comparable to, if not cheaper than, driving all the way. And, of course, far less concern about weather. So they've booked that.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Sounds like the flight to Vegas and then trip into LA will work well and keep them from worrying about the weather while driving. It will be a fun trip.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I have driven across Kansas numerous times to Colorado and these are major trucking routes with MANY many motels. I have never made reservations in advance at any time, and have always found a place (cheap).
Ah, I see the flight is on, and that is better. I DID get caught in a blizzard one time and had to get off the road.
Have fun. Nothing like a college bowl game!!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I have driven across Kansas numerous times to Colorado and these are major trucking routes with MANY many motels. I have never made reservations in advance at any time, and have always found a place (cheap).
Ah, I see the flight is on, and that is better. I DID get caught in a blizzard one time and had to get off the road.
Have fun. Nothing like a college bowl game!!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Cali, I saw this after I sent you a note on FB. Obviously great minds think alike as we said basically the same thing about the weather!

Thanks for your response, Gretchen. They're really looking forward to it!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM

It would be a nice way for them to keep in touch with you...tell them to phone you about an hour before they're ready to settle down for the night. Then get online and find them a great deal for the night, look for places with breakfast included and in-room coffee for Pops. And you can give them a weather report and a suggested route for the next day as well.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM

We book ahead at places we can cancel at the last moment if necessary (but it seldom is).

We prefer to research where we want to stay and make reservations at our leisure rather than scramble around at the last minute looking for a place to stay when we are tired from a day of driving.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Have them pick up a "RoomSaver" magazine and/or some of the other discount mags at the first rest stop along the way, or go on line ahead of time and look for it. They give coupons for discounts at lots of motels/hotels along the way for walk ins. They may not be good for the times you are traveling, but are helpful because they have small maps with locations of lodging, give the extras that are included, and have phone numbers you can call to check for availability before you stop.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Ok, I see they solved it.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, MissM, htty and emalloy!