Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Most people prefer to bake in the sun instead of hiking/camping in the Scenic Mountains

Search

Most people prefer to bake in the sun instead of hiking/camping in the Scenic Mountains

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the Summer here in the Washington DC area the traffic is always backed up going to the beach on Friday's. On the other hand, traffic is usually quiet going west towards the mountains (Western MD, Va and West Virginia)

I can not understand the appeal of the beach in tacky places like Ocean City MD, when people could go to the scenic green mountains of West Virginia, VA and Maryland.

How about you, if you had a choice, would it be mountains (State Parks, lakes, hiking, camping, picnics, etc) or the beach?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:10 AM

Obviously, those traffic back-ups on Rte 50 depend on your timing.

Some people simply prefer the beach and others don't and there are plenty of "tacky" places in the mountains, too.

For me, I enjoy both and have never limited myself to one or even two venues..life's too short.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM

Dukey is right... there are tacky places all over!
I am a mountain person in the summer and a Southern traveler in the winter, visiting cities and landmarks in warmer states during the winter.
I like walking beaches looking for stuff, but I can't lay on a beach or make a vacation around laying on a beach.
In fact, when we go to Hawaii, we spend very little time 'on the beach'.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
JJ5

Don't understand why people love sand at all. Never did. Do understand the attraction of the water, but not baking in that sun. It's torture to me.

Given the choices in nearly any state, if it is available in some guise- I take the green surrounded and natural spring fed fresh water lakes for recreation of all kinds- over any other landscape.

Foothills and mountains are optional- but that lake- preferrably over 600 acres or so at least- and not 3 deep in humans and housing- is the ticket for me.

In my area, it is the roads to those destinations that are always packed to the max. Roads to flatland prairie, on the other hand, with much less water, are all more freely flowing- even on holidays, almost universally. It's true even in winter.

Tacky is relative, and most beach people just want their spot.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM

Hi I56,

I am also in DC. I love the ocean, but, like you, I head west from here. We go camping in Shenandoah about once a month from April to October.

I wait until I head up north near my parents (NH) to hit the beaches/ocean.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Because it's summer?

Won't the mountains be there the other four seasons?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I like both. I have friends that much prefer a nice lounge chair, magazine and drink on the beach to anything else.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM

Same reason most people head to the mall instead of the local bike path. Shopping, eating or sitting on their butts are their favorite pastimes.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM

Whenever I start to puff myself up with pride over my preferences about what I enjoy, concluding that my choices must be superior to that of others, I recall a cartoon from Mad{R} magazine. A group of people, playing volley ball at the beach, look over at some sun bathers and say, "Can you believe those people, just lying around and baking on a sunny day like this? I wonder what they do for enjoyment?" The cartoon then cuts to the sun bathers, who are looking over at the volley ball players and saying, "Can you believe those people, getting all sweaty on a sunny day like this? My greatest enjoyment is watching them."

And in answer to your question, the beach is about the last place on the earth my wife and I would like to spend time together. But we have no problem if other people feel differently.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:37 AM

wliwl...good point. Sitting on my backside during vacation...never! This is funny...I am a swimmer, not a person who just splashes around in an ocean or pool. On a recent pre-cruise trip we were at FLL beach and I forgot my goggles. Spent 2 hours trying to find a store that sold real swim goggles and not the $2 kiddie masks with fish on the lenses. They even have a "Swimming hall of Fame" there! Found lots of fake Gucci glasses, tacky coverups, crude t-shirts and plenty of beach bars where I finally gave in and wasted away in M'Ville.
I'd love to see the statistics of those who walk, hike, bike, etc when they have plenty of time to do it (that old excuse)
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM

As my health is getting worse, I'm rapidly approaching the "baking in the sun" state. So you are sitting in a cafe, sipping cold beer, gossiping about me? Does it make you feel better?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM

^ Before you consider baking in the sun as a healthy respite you might take a moment to worry a little about skin cancer. At 51 I'm definitely suffering from a lifetime of too much being in the sun. (Even in the not-very-sunny place I live).
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM

Never you, dear Faina! Maybe you like to sit, but you travel all over and you know it. I know thay you loved the mountains of Switzerland and the mountains of Alaska...SEE?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM

Oh, I love mountains! Add Grand Canyon, Masada, Zion and Bryce, Yosemite and Kings Canyon.

I guess the Rockies and Sierra Nevada through the train window don't count
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM

Our approach has always been to go for that long 3-4 hr hike and then relax beach or poolside in the afternoon. Best of both worlds and the hike eliminates that guilt of eating that big meal later on. Just my HO.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM

Interesting....I was born 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean and grew up in So CA. But, I'm a mountain person, always have been! I live now at 6,500 ft. in Utah's beautiful Wasatch mountains and am leaving for vacation to Yellowstone and Montana.

Some beaches are very nice for a little while, but I get bored fast!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM

LIke Dayle, I grew up steps from a Pacific Ocean beach. I left Claifornia after college and happily headed for the mountains.

Favorite vacation places are the Swiss Alps, Dolomites in Italy, and all the mountains in western North America.

This summer it will be Yosemite and Glacier National Park for hiking. No beaches for me---or my skin!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM

Well, I grew up in the Sunshine State, worked on the beaches as a teenager and through college. My parents had a beach house and I just never grew tired of the gulf.

I don't just lay out and bake. I get my umbrella, take a bunch of books a cooler full of beverages and relax. I also like my early morning run while the sun is rising. I guess it is the smell of the shore that I enjoy so much. I always feel so relaxed and healthy when I am home.

My parents also had a condo in Banner Elk,NC when I was a child and I was bored to tears after a few days. It's pretty...I just wouldn't want to live there.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM

I love the sound of the ocean and the smell of salt air.

Mountains have a lot of bugs.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

We just bought a house in an area that is "the gateway to the Jersey Shore". As traffic packs in towards the beach our car will be heading toward the Pocono Mountains. I love the Ocean but I can't roast in the sun all day. I do like to late in the day but I much prefer to spend my time hiking/biking. In fact we've only taken one island vacation and that was for our honeymoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -