Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Most over-rated restaurant? Or most unfairly bad-mouthed restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:47 AM
MaureenB

In your travels, have you found a restaurant that you thought was grossly over-rated and over-recommended?

My top pick is McCormick and Schmick's in Baltimore. Its location at the Inner Harbor is prime, but its food is over-priced, with extremely skimpy servings, lack-luster service, and unremarkable food IMHO. For instance, my order of scallops for about $26 had only four scallops-- it looked like an appetizer not a main course.

On the other hand, everyone bad-mouths the Rusty Scupper, also at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. I've eaten there twice (yes, I admit it) and both times the food was excellent. I ordered seared scallops two weeks ago, and received a healthy serving of eight large scallops prepared wonderfully. Its location beats any other for views of the harbor, which is why we braved its bad reputation the first time. Its decor could use sprucing up, but validated parking, good service, decent values and good food more than make up for its out-dated furnishings IMHO.

What's your nomination to this list? Any places in your home town that always puzzle you when they are recommended or criticized?

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to kick a place when it's down (and I LOVE so many other New Orleans restaurants), but dh and I found Galatoire's horribly overrated. Bad service and mediocre food (my lump crabmeat had bits of shell in it). A local later told us she and her lady friends really just go there to drink!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:01 AM
bonniebroad

In my experience, the most over-rated restaurant in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of N.C. is The Angus Barn. Yes, the atmosphere is nice, and the cheeses and crackers tasty that are provided while you wait FOREVER, but on the three occasions I've been there, my food never came out as hot as it should have been, and the beef was not as good as what we get at The Outback over on Creedmoor, for two-thirds the price. Their blackberry cobbler is usually excellent, but last time, the berries had obviously been frozen and were tasteless. As to what is under-rated, I think particular locations of some chains are under-rated because they are chains. Like The Outback on Creedmoor in Raleigh, Macaroni Grill in Cary and Carrabbas in North Raleigh. They are chains but these particular ones are terrific almost every time, food-wise!

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Everyone recommends the Beach House on Kauai, but when I ate there the only thing that looked good to me was risotto, which came out burned. Anytime I see the name Beach House I just taste burned rice in my mouth and wonder what the big deal is.

As far as underrated, I hardly ever see anyone mention La Mer at the Halekulani in Waikiki, which I probably rank as the best dining experience of my life, and I've eaten some darn good meals.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Vastly overrated in guidebooks and such is Tavern on the Green, in NYC.
Pretty to look at, but prices high for food that is often quite mediocre at best. I recommend to out-of-towners that at most, they go for a drink, or just lunch, rather than dinner.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Oh Boy, do I agree with elaine

Also, the McCormick and Schmick here in Portland manages to make food that makes me gag, so I am not surprised to hear about the Baltimore place being bad. Smelly, smokey and overpriced bad food, ugh!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

We ate at a restaurant in downtown LA (touted in LA Magazine as being so romantic and excellent) one time called REX, Il Restaurant. Well, after our dining experience, we started calling it WRETCH, Ill Restaurant.

First we go in on a Friday night and there are only about three tables of people. That should have tipped us off. The service was so bad. So arrogant. Took us ten minutes to put in an order for a drink or see a menu.

My friend and I ordered the same thing, took a bite or two, and then realized it wasn't even what we ordered. When my husband called the waiter over, he said that the chef had the right to change what was offered on the menu. What? How about telling us, since it was our $35?

We sent our meals back. They didn't take it off the bill, but offered us some old dusty bottle of cognac that we all felt was re-loaded each day with some Mogan David or something.

They may still be in LA, relocated, so BEWARE!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Yeah... McCormick & Schmick's began their downhill slide the day they opened their second restaurant. Even the original, which used to be one of the best seafood places in the Portland area, hasn't been the same since.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Who thinks the Cheesecake Factory or the Old Spaghetti Factory is overrated??
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM
GoTravel

I think Carmine's in NYC gets unfairly bad mouthed.

It is a great place in Midtown or the Upper West Side for families, kids, and large groups.

While the food isn't on level of Babbo, Gramercy Tavern, or Per Se, it is great food at a great price in a great atmosphere at a great location.

I would not recommend Carmine's for a romantic dinner for two, it has its place.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM

I agree, Cheesecake Factory is totally mediocre yet everyone goes there!

In Washington, D.C. there is a restaurant called Kincaids which everyone raves about. I've been there 3 times and hated it each time. The service was arrogant and snotty, the food was overcooked and their most highly rated appetizer (squid) was something I could whip up at home...badly!

Also agree about McCormick and Schmick's. I had a great Margarita there ONCE and they could never repeat it. One time the food will be good and the next just OK. I think that is what happens when good restaurants go CHAIN.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM

There is a chain of "bistros" in my area called the Left Bank. It is very "in", but it is very so-so. Everything I've ordered is over seasoned.

Tamarine in Palo Alto used to be good when it emerged on the coat-tails of the Slanted Door a few years ago, but now it is overpriced and underfooded.

-Bill
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Kal

I'm one of the few in NorCal who still likes Scoma's in SF.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM

>>>>>> I think Carmine's in NYC gets unfairly bad mouthed. <<<<<<<

I have nothing about your fondness for Carmine’s. But in New York, where one would go overwhelmingly nuts with the abundance of choices for great Italian restaurants within all 5 boroughs and tri-state, Carmine is considered bad.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I have to agree on the Cheese Cake Factory. I only ate breakfast there once, the one in Corte Madera in Marin County..WAY over rated. Breakfast was expensive and it was cold. I order the Joes Special which I LOVE and hadn't had for ages, but it's not good when it's cold. Didn't bother sending back..just picked at it a little, but I know I don't need to go back and as far as the cheese cake goes? I make the best one anyway.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
GoTravel

bill_boy, what you are saying is true and I complete agree however, Carmines is great for families, especially tourists in Midtown. Good food at a good price for Midtown.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I would have to say Legal Seafood in Boston area. Recommended by everyone, it was average seafood that was horribly overpriced ($18 dollars for a lobster roll.) fried clams were inedible because of the sand and grit. Still do not understand what the big deal is about this restaurant. Ironically there is a resaurant in Orlando called Bostons fish house that is wonderfull. The fried clams and the lobster bisque are to die for.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Kal,

I love Scomas! Always have and always will. I have had some VERY memorable meals there!

-Bill
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

My favorite comment regarding the Cheesecake Factory: "yes, the food is just mediocre, but they give you so much of it". So lots of mediocre food is better than a standard amount of wonderful food? Not to me!

I think just based on this forum alone, Tavern on the Green would win hands down as the most often referred to as "overpriced and overrated". No one can mention it here without universal acknowledgment that it is "not worth it".
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM

My Dad loves Scoma's and I've always enjoyed it as well.

On a trip to Boston, dh and I were terribly annoyed when our local relatives forced us to go to Cheesecake Factory w/them instead of trying a Tod English restaurant. My food was horrible and I trashed Cheesecake Factory for years. Then we got one locally and I have to say I've recanted - not a place I would visit when traveling but it's okay for dinner and a movie when you aren't looking to spend a bundle (and it's in the same mall as a movie theatre near us).

I've been to Legal Seafood more times than I can remember. It hasn't seemed as good recently as I recall on past visits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -