Reload this Page >

Most "Hawaiian" hotel on Oahu...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Leanne

Planning a trip for my parents. They will stay a few days in Oahu and then on to Kauai. I would love anyone's opinion to the hotel that has the most "hawaiian" feel to it. My mom would love a place that is polynesian with the real aloha spirit to it. Doesn't have to be chic or elegant. thanks!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 04:52 AM
lcuy

Oahu: the Moana, the Kahala Mandarin or the Halekulani. All very pricey, but the real McCoy.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:17 AM
sarah

curious lucy what makes the Halekulani the real Mcoy? Never been only walked by during evening shows on the beach.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 05:15 PM
old timer

I'm not Lucy, but I understand where she's coming from in regards to the Halekulani. Unfortunately, at least for someone who remembers it from the old days in the '40s and '50s, it's been extensively renovated. But, it does sit on the original site and it still has a bit of the ambience and harbors some of the old "ghosts." I prefer the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana. The "Hawaiian" feel has been pretty well diluted because of wholesale tourism. Most hotels in Waikiki (as well as the other islands) were probably designed in either Los Angeles or Chicago. They're rather generic... The Kahala Mandarin is a relative newcomer compared to the three that I've mentioned, but I would stay there because of its relative seclusion from the crowds at Waikiki. Be forewarned that all 4 hotels are rather pricey!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:58 AM
hans

You might try the Hawaiiana Hotel. It's on the edge of Waikiki and is a small low-rise hotel; all buildings surround a tropical garden and pool area. Not your typical tourist hotel.
No affiliation; just a satisfied 'local' customer (although it's been a few years.

http://www.hawaiianahotelatwaikiki.com

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:26 PM
Kath

Try the Hawaiian Regent. Stayed there last Sept and it was very "Hawaiian." Open air entryway, live Hawaiian music every night. We enjoyed it very much. Entertainment book has special rates.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:26 PM
Laurie

Leanne,
is your father retired military? If so, then they would be eligible to stay at the Hale Koa right on Waikiki Beach. Beautiful grounds right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. And rooms are about 1/5 of the price. Plus, no tax and military rates on their restaurants too. We really enjoyed staying there for a couple days between island hops. Mahalo!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:24 AM
lcuy

Sarah-Halekulani has beautiful rooms, wonderful food,gorgeous floral arrangements and a nice location, but what make it really special is the attitude of most of the staff. The hotel went through a lot of changes physically, but kept the gracious sense of old Hawaii about it. Royal Hawaiian is also a really wonderful old place, but I have had friends (and my parents, who honeymooned there in 1948 and returned in 90s)say the rooms were not all that nice or charming. Nice place to eat, especially sunday buffet, is Willows (on Hausten street close to Univ of Hawaii). It was rebuilt a few years back, but retained the ambiance. Their gift shop is wonderful too. Some really beautiful art and crafts as well and interesting little souvenirs.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Vicki

Spent a night at the Moana Surfrider and was charmed. It is referred to as the "First Lady of Waikiki", built in 1901, and was bedecked with ribbons in celebration of its 100th anniversary. It is very elegant and puts its best foot forward. The banyan tree court is great to experience. Rooms were expensive but lovely, complete with robes & slippers. Was quite busy with Japanese weddings, but very old and original Hawaiian.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Retired Army

"Is your father retired military?" is just the type of comment I was hoping people - especially women! - no longer make! There are thousands and thousands of retired military FEMALES out there - and in our case, both me and my husband are!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Bob

Leanne,
For pricey hotels my choices are Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian and Moana. If you are looking for budget, but truly the Hawaiian feel of the days past, I strongly suggest The Hawaiiana Hotel. I have not had any friends or relatives stay that that did not have anything but great things to say about their stays. Be sure to get a room to the inside of the low-rise building. If you are on the back of the building you will be hearing traffic all night! Less than $100.00 per night for returning guest, which they do get a lot of. Hawaiiana is a very popular Hotel with the 55 plus crowd.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Terry

Will have to check out the Hawaiiana on next visit bob. I have to tell you Leanne, I stayed at Royal Hawaiian on last trip and was very disappointed. It is pretty on the outside but not much aloha on the inside. Direct access to the beach is roped off and gate locked even to guests. There is a path but you have to go around the hotel to get to beach. There is a green grass patch just infront facing ocean but also ropped off. Chairs on this deck are hard wood and without cushions almost alienating guest from actually using. The lobbyies are large dark and empty. This is not to say that they are not beautiful but the Moana is much more welcoming. There Rocking chairs line the porch, the atmosphere is light and airy. Guest fill this hotel but not crowd. Newpapers from around the country are available in the lobby for guest to enjoy on plentiful comfortable furniture. Royal Hawaiian just has a far more institutional feel to it,IMHO.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Toronto Kiwi

My wife and I stayed at the Hawaiiana in 1989. It's an old hotel but very central. We enjoyed it.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Dave

My family and I had a junior suite at the Royal Hawaiian and loved it. We staye din the old part and yes, the rooms aren't the cookie cutter modern rooms of Hyatt fame, but it is a lovely hotel. I liked sitting on the patio by the beach and watching the world go by, as I enjoyed a Mai Tai or 2. My kids could go on the beach from the hotel. Classic Hawaiian hotel. Food was great as well.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:36 AM
SSS

Moana no question....the Royal Hawaiian caters almost exclusively to the Japanese you will feel this if you stay.The service is highly impersonal and the environment is "cold". Check out the large empty, dark lobby rooms, hard patio furniture and round about access to beach. Nice grassy piece of ground facing water but ooppsss it is is roped off keeping guest out...THIS IS NOT ALOHA or even good business as I see it.

Pretty as a picture on the outside a different experience when you stay. I will let others brag about the Maona my favorite Hawaiian hotel filled with warmth, quality service and guests are actually welcomed here.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Celeste

Thanks, Retired Army, for making the comment before I did! I'm retired Navy and my husband is retired Army and we're both SO sick and tired of people who assume all retired military personnel are male! (Won't they be surprised when one of the female F-14 fighter pilots over Afghanistan kills Osama bin Laden with a missile!)

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Mike

My wife and I just returned from Hawaii. Spent 3 nights at The Halekulani. Best staff of anyplace we stayed (Manele Bay and Hyatt Kauai). All had awesome service but Halekulani stood out. But I don't think it is so "Hawaiian". It is but not over the top. The crowd seemed older (Retirement age). Not a bad thing, but true. Might be a very nice option for your parents. However, I don't have any others on Oahu to compare.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 01:05 AM
Jeff

It's interesting to note that I recall hearing a lot of similar comments about the Royal Hawaiian in this forum. I do just love it's outside appearance, though!- isn't it something how it stands out among all the high-rises it's surrounded by?

I've also seen many other people rave about the Hale Koa but a while back someone said that it was too noisy around the pool - or something like that, something to the effect of some of the guests drinking too much and getting too loud.

Almost all the comments I've seen about the Halekulani have been positive- same w/ Kahala Mandarin but they're both exorbitant.

If I recall correctly, I've also seen some positive reviews of Hawiiana before.

If you are still around Leanne: Have you considred a B&B? That could be the most authentically Hawaiian. Just an idea.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 07:39 AM
roadtripper

What about the hotels on the other side of Oahu? It was much more beautiful & scenic & there is always the Polynesian Cultural Center. Your parents will surely like that (www.polynesia.com).

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Celeste

I thought the Polynesian Cultural Center was the biggest waste of time in my three years of living in Hawaii. It's definitely something you can skip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -