Morgans Hotel : Madison Avenue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at Morgans Hotel on Madison Avenue recently near the Empire State Building? There are not many recent reviews of the place.

The website makes it look pretty nice and I'm a little excited about staying there. Typically I stay at Washington Square Hotel on Waverly (which I've been very happy with) but I thought I'd try something new this time and pricelined a room in Midtown.

Some older reviews mentioned they give access to a health club within one block. Does anyone know what it would be?

Can anyone recommend some places in the area for breakfast? I'm used to my routine of Joes coffee on Waverly and Claudes Pattiserie in the village...
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM

There's a NY Sports Club at 36th and Mad.

As for breakfast, there is a little french place next door and a diner across the avenue.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM

kpatric do you remember what the name of the french place is? This sounds like something that would be handy for an upcoming visit.
Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

I too would be interested in the name of french place.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM

The French patisserie is Chez Laurence at Madison Avenue and 38th Street.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Travelzoo is running a good deal on this hotel that includes breakfast.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Just back from my trip to New York staying at the Morgans Hotel and thought I'd complete the circle and give my thoughts on my experience.

Excellent Midtown/Murray Hill location a few blocks from Grand Central Station and subways. It was certainly convenient for shopping and not all that far from Broadway Theatres/Times Square. My friend and I walked back from Broadway Theatres and it was about a 20 minute walk.

ROOMS:
Our room seemed large for Manhattan. We had a queen sized been, a window seat, a small desk and a lounge chair. Bedding was high quality with down comforters. Closet was large with many hangers, a safe, and ironing board/iron. Bathroom with tub, cool steel iron sink and toilet. There was a real flower in vase in the bathroom which I thought was a nice touch. Our room was well maintained and the windows opened. Bathroom products looked cool/trendy, but were so so...it was hard to even get the body scrub out of the bottle!

EXTRAS:
There is a "living room" on the fourth floor for guests to use with oversized sofas, a big tv, coffee, tea and a computer with internet access and printer. Wireless internet access is available in the rooms for ten dollars per day--we used it and the signal was good on the 17th floor. The health club access is indeed the NYSC just up the street. It looked nice from the street, but I didn't try it out.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

CONTINUED FROM ABOVE:

Breakfast was included downstairs and was a nice mix of juices, danish, cereals...and free newspapers.

I ended up here through a priceline bid, but will definitely be considering coming back.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Universitylad thanks for "completing the circle" on your original thread so we could fowllow. So glad Morgans worked out for you, it sounds very nice.

Monet77, thank you for the name of Chez Laurence, I've added to our list of breakfast places for the end of the month.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

I did walk into Chez Laurence and it really looked like a nice place. Had I stayed a few more days, I would have tried it. They had a nice display of croissants and other bakery and the menu looked good.

I'll add a few NEW YORK RESTAURANTS we ate at:

The find of the trip was definitely _The Little Owl_ in Greenwich Village.
90 Bedford Street at Grove Street
http://www.thelittleowlnyc.com/
It's a small corner restaurant that takes reservations but they have a few tables in the corner for walk ins. There is no menu on the website, perhaps it changes frequently, but the dinner I had there was memorable. Moist, delicous crabcakes for an appetizer and an excellent moist, broiled whitefish with garlic aoli. They had a wide choice of fish and meat items. Desserts were excellent and you could order a whole cheese coarse or just pick a few for three dollars each. I found the pear crisp paired wonderfully with some a couple of the cheeses. The restaurant is small, but it's on the corner and there are lots of windows. You can see into the tiny kitchen through glass behind the tables and it's kind of fun to watch the food being prepared. We arrived right at opening and were able to secure one of the 'walk in' tables in the corner.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM

universitylad - Thanks for posting back about the Morgans Hotel. Always interesting to hear about how the actual room was, the breakfast etc.

You mentioned you got this hotel bidding on Priceline so do you mind sharing your bid and what the regular rate is?

Sandy
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

My bid was for $133. The rate listed for this weekend is $335. So all around it turned out to be a good deal.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Well, tempi passati ...

My successful bid for weekdays Oct 6-10 was 240$. The savings over what the Morgans would have cost me from a travel agent is still substantial.

Hendrik
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
dmlove

What are the Priceline "criteria" for Morgan's -- star rating, area, etc.? If I were going to bid for a weekend stay, do you think I should bid more or less than the $240 you won it for (one week after your stay)?

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Morgans is one of 2 4* hotels in what's now known as the Empire STate building area (the other hotel is 70 Park, also very nice). Look on betterbidding.com for a full list of PL hotels by area.
http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=93&
They also have a "wins" calendar to see what hotels people have won at what price.

There are several free re-bid zones for 4* hotels in NYC now.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
dmlove

Thanks. Hotels are so expensive (which we learned last November) that I may try it for my husband, who is much less particular than I am!

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Morgans has completed a MAJOR renovation/redecoration, I don't think we'll see it at a 'reasonable' rate or come up on Priceline anytime soon!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
dmlove

Didn't Hendrik just win it for Oct 6-10 for $240 a night?

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM

oops - missed that! I'm surprised to see it on PL, the new rates are high, as is occupancy in October. Nice win!
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM

anyone stayed here recently since it had a refurbishment? I have provisionally booked to stay in december for a shopping trip on a surprise trip for my wife.

Are the rooms quiet at night?

Good plan? Any other suggestions for somewhere really nice? Penninsula looks one of the top prices but perhaps too expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -