Search

More Boston Hotel and Dining help Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Boston Hotel and Dining help Please

Hello There,

I know there is already a similar post going at the moment however...

I'm planning on going to Boston alone (2 days/1 night) before the end of March primarily to see the "Gauguin in Tahiti" exhibit at the MFA. I've read that the Backbay area is the place to stay, and I've found a room at the Midtown Hotel for $89, and Copley Square for $92. The "best value" rooms at the Newbury guest house are booked, and they're over $100. BTW, what is NYC's equivalent of Newbury St? 5th Ave.?

I live in NYC and definitely prefer downtown (east village, lower east side, soho) to say the Times Square/midtown areas. Would I be better off staying in another part of town, then taking public transportation to the museum? If that's the case, can anyone suggest a budget hotel/b&b for under $100 in another area that is also close to the bus/subway. I prefer small with character over chain hotels, but since it will only be for one night, clean and convenient will do.

I'm also interested in recommendations for really good restaurants ( 1 dinner, 1 breakfast/lunch) in any part of town. I'm particularly interested in new American, fusion, seafood (I've heard seafood in Boston is a must), and ethnic cuisines.

Thank you all in advance!!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
yk

Matisse-

I stayed at Copley Sq Hotel several months ago and found it charming - none of the taste of the chain hotels.

One half of Newbury Street (closer to Public Garden) is similar to Madison Ave (above 60th). The other half of Newbury St (closer to Mass Ave) is similar to your "downtown" idea.

I think that would be your best area to stay at.
If you like Vietnamese food, Pho Pasteur on Newbury Street is great and economical. I'm sure other Bostonians have more restaurants to recommend.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM

"Would I be better off staying in another part of town, then taking public transportation to the museum?"

Even the Midtown hotel is over half a mile from the museum, which has a Green Line stop right outside, so don't hesitate to choose a hotel on the T.

If location and budget are more important than ambience, consider bidding for a Back Bay 3* or 4* hotel on Priceline.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Matisse, have you tried The Lenox or Charlesmark Hotel both on Boylston St, steps from the Copley Subway and not a bad walk to the MFA up Huntington Ave.
The Gauguin exhibit is wonderful. I'd never seen his wonderful wood carvings before. Some good books on sale in the gift/book shop. Newbury St is where the better shops are and nearby Coply place where you can find Gucci, Vuitton, NM, Polo, Armani x, nearby Saks And L&T. Newbury has Chanel, Longchamps, LÓccitaine, Diphtique, Armani, Betsy Johnson, Banana Republic, Gap, Nike, Pierre Deux, Virgin, Mandura, and so much more, lots of restos at both places. Email me at hotmail if you need more info.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hey there,

Yk, nice to hear a good comment about Copley Sq.

Anon, will consider Priceline although I've never used it before.

Cigalechanta, fancy meeting you in the US forum! Those hotels you recommended look great, but unfortunately the best deals I found on them are around $150, which is more than I want to spend for one night. I will probably email you for resto help, thanks for the offer.

Thank you all for your input.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 10:50 AM
yk

Matisse-

If you are considering using Priceline, make sure you go to biddingfortravel.com and read all the instructions. That will help prevent you from bidding for some place you don't want, or overbidding etc.

Copley Sq hotel is "charming" in a sense that the hotel is like from a "bygone" era. That does not mean the furniture/decor is old or in need of a redo. I personally prefer hotels that are modern & minimalistic. My friend who was with me and who likes antiques, really liked the hotel.