Month-long car rental?

Search

Month-long car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Month-long car rental?

My husband & I have gone to Hawaii many times before but only for two weeks at a time. Next winter we are semi-retiring and plan to spend a month in Kona. Does anyone have any ideas what would be the cheapest way to rent or lease a car for a month? I know I could do better than the weekly rates which are quoted on the rental car websites, but I'm stumped as to where I should look. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Just a reminder...

If you are like many people you use your credit card's insurance feature and decline insurance when you rent.

Some cards limit their insurance feature to rentals of less than a month. You should check yours...it may make sense to have 2 consecutive rentals so you wil be covered.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:27 PM
La

I used to live in Maui and you could try to see if they have a used rental car place. The locals often use them if there car breaks down. (which is often) In Maui, they have "rent-a-wreck" They are usually used cars that have the advantage of blending in with the general populace. You should ask for a "kamaiina" discount--local's discount. Enjoy!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Dick & La. I had thought of rent-a-wreck, looked on-line and only found an outlet in Lihue. I guess I'll try calling them directly.
Any other ideas, anybody?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM

A month, wow ! It's been a while since I needed a rental for a month but I used to use Thrifty for long rentals. Enterprise may be another option. Good luck & have a wonderful trip. Paul.