Monterey/Carmel/PG lodging for 5 in December

Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey/Carmel/PG lodging for 5 in December

My family of 5 ( incl. 3 young adult kids) will be heading to California in mid December. Two nights in SF and 3 in Monterey/PG/Carmel. Planning to see Big Basin Redwoods, Point Lobos Reserve, Seals and whatever other natural sites we have time for.

I've researched extensively for lodging for 5 adults. Here are my choices.

1. Rosedale Inn - 2 queens with sofa bed

2. Andril Fireplace Cottages - 2 queens w/sofa bed

3. Hotel Pacific - Monterey - Junior Ste: 2 dbls (site says 5 people)

4. Best Western Victorian Inn - 2 rooms:1 K and 2 dbls)

5. Portolo Hotel and Spa - Luxury Jr. Ste: K, Q sofabed, rollaway

The first 3 are approx $200/nite. The last two are $300+/nite.

Would appreciate input as far as location, quality, size of rooms. Are the last two a lot better? Worth more money? The Victorian Inn is the only option that gives us beds for all instead of a sofa bed or rollaway. We want to be close to the water with a view, if possible.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I cannot give you specific recs, but I would go for the first 2, in Pacific Grove or the Portola Hotel.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MixhelleY.
Why Pacific Grove? I've read that it's more quaint and less touristy. Is that correct?
Is it easy to get from Pacific Grove to Monterey? Walking distance?
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM

PG is away from the crowds. Not walkable to Monterey, but easy by car. 10 minutes? With your young adult kids, Portola or the Victorian would be closer to bars, more action by walking.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM

It's only an 18 minute walk from the Seven Gables Inn in PG to the Aquarium in Monterey.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM

We stayed at the Best Western Victorian Inn a few years ago and we had a hard time finding a quiet, light-filled room and the breakfast room seemed too small for the crowd. Have you checked out the nearby Holiday Inn Express? It has a good location, etc.

HTtY
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

happytrailstoyou, I think I looked at Holiday Inn Express…I forget why I checked them off my list. I recall reading that the Holiday Inn Exp and Embassy Suites are in a commercial area - not too appealing.
Would prefer to be close to water with some kind of view

Any thoughts on Carmel Mission Inn?
Just discovered rooms that are in same price range as Victorian Inn and Portolo.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Carmel Mission Inn (not to be confused with Mission Ranch) is located on the east side of Hwy 1 near a couple of outdoor shopping centers. I don't believe there are any views to speak of.

The Holiday Inn Express on Wave St is near Cannery Row. You may be thinking of the HIE on Del Monte in Seaside. Embassy Suites is also in Seaside. The latter two are several miles from Monterey.

The first two you listed in PG are located in a more forested, less touristy area and about 2 miles from Cannery Row. No water views but you can walk to Asilomar Beach and Sunset Dr which are beautiful.

Do you want to be right in the thick of things? Do you want to be able to walk to places?
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Yes, walking to things is the question. What about Asilomar? The grounds are historic and beautiful. Can walk to Fishwife and the beach.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Have you thought of looking on VRBO? At $300/night you may be better off with a rental house and you would have more room.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 02:10 PM

The Holiday Inn Express I'm talking about is one block from the Best Western you mention--perfect for sightseeing in Monterey.

I've never stayed at Carmel Mission Inn. Reviews on TripAdvisor are mostly favorable, however it isn't in the part of Carmel that is the reason people visit Carmel.

Traveling with three young adults I would much prefer to be at the HIE I mentioned. It is located in a colorful neighborhood that has all kinds of restaurants, bars, and other diversions.

There are also restaurants within an easy walk of Carmel Mission Inn. We have enjoyed some good lunches at Rio Grill. It's a little pricy for what they offer, but it has a surprisingly upscale atmosphere for a restaurant in a shopping mall.

By the way, when we were in California a few months ago we thoroughly enjoyed very good food and a wonderful view at Schooners--400 Cannery Row in Monterey.

HTtY
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Here is a link to a rental a Fodorite used a while back:

http://www.vrbo.com/397913#rates
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Patty and happytrailstoyou, I didn't realize there was another HIE. I'll check that out.
I just found Lovers Point Inn PG. Good prices and looks nice. Thoughts?

Good idea to check out VRBO.

We would like to be able to walk to restaurants and maybe a few shops.
We will be spending daylight hours exploring - Big Basin Redwoods, Point Lobos, hopefully see seals, maybe whales, hike a bit, walk on the beach.

Thanks for all of your input!
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM

Some friends stay at Lover's Point Inn about every couple of weeks. Nothing fancy but handy to the water. They like it.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 05:19 AM

We have stayed at Andrils many times. Great location for walking and a peaceful and comfortable place. Highly recommend it.
FYI, we always choose to stay in Pacific Grove over Carmel and Monterey - more peaceful, less traffic, better access to the coast, great trails for walking, excellent dining and slightly less costly than the other two.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Check out ASILOMAR. State owned and historic. Includes meals. They have a web site. Easy walk to beach.

Part of the Monterey Aquarium is in Monterey. Part is in PG. Both are very close. All distances here are not far.

Look at Monterey Bay Rentals. They have great listings for furnished homes. Good web site with prices.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 09:12 AM

I agree with traveldawg. Asilomar is a great idea, they have a variety of accommodations and some of the contemporary rooms can hold 5 adults for your rates. I believe some rooms also have kitchenettes. They have Senior discounts (55+) if you fall in that group, as well as AAA. It's basically across the street from Andril.

I would avoid booking any meal plans with them (they are cafeteria style). If you are lazy, have breakfast there (or in your room).

There are some nice restaurants in PG, you can walk to Fishwife for dinner lunch. Lots of choices on the main drag.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Regardless of location, I'd definitely choose lodging with 2 bathrooms for 5 adults!
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Asilomar/Andril/Rosedale will be a long walk to downtown PG which are the closest restaurants other than Fishwife. Lover's Point Inn would be much closer.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Asilomar does have a dining room, but I assume the OP has a car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -