Reload this Page >

Monterey, CA Suggestions

Search

Monterey, CA Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1997, 12:28 PM
I. Hightower

Monterey, CA Suggestions

My husband will be returning from 6 months at sea and we would like to get away for 3-4 days. We'll be driving from San Diego to Monterey. Any suggestions in hotels, B&B's, resturants would be welcomed for Monterey, Carmel or anything on the way up there i.e. Morro Bay, SLO, etc. Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 1997, 10:22 PM
andrea shelton

We just returned from a trip to Carmel. It was fabulous! Whether was cool. Stayed at the Best WEstern Bay View Inn. It was immaculate and charming. French country style. Fireplace and balcony with a view of Carmel and the ocean. Ask to be high up as possible. Reasonable rates for Carmel. If you can't book this the Sundial looked very quaint with a gorgeous blooming courtyard. Convenient location but no ocen view.

Across from our hotel was a restaurant called the General Store. They had a very intimate courtyard and great food. Try the fondue! REasonable with friendly service.

WE bought an audio tape from the book store of the Big Sur drive. It was fabulous and gave us many tips and ideas about where to spend our time. Hikes to waterfalls. Well worth it. If you need the name e-mail me directly,

Eat at Nepenthe for the views.

I'd be happy to help with other suggestions.

Andrea

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 08:15 AM
Dave Laredo

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 08:36 AM
Dave Laredo

Excellent restaurants include Fresh Cream in Monterey, Melacs in Pacific Grove, Fandango in Pacific Grove, Kincaid's Bistro in Carmel. For the wharf area we enjoy Domenico's or Cafe Fina. The best steakhouse is Whaling Station Inn Restaurant, but the best steakhouse view is Rocky Point on the Big Sur Coast. Best B&B (if you can get reservations) are Seven Gables Inn (on the water in Pacific Grove; as in the VISA ads), Green Gables Inn (also on the water), or Old Monterey Inn in Monterey (no view, but excellent service). Take time to walk (2+ hours) at the State Park at Point Lobos which is 2 miles South of Carmel. Unforgetable! Post Ranch Inn is a classic place for a meal, but they won't let you past the gate without advance reservations. This is in Big Sur across from Nepethe's. Take time to rent bikes and ride the coastal bike trail. Have fun.

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 01:33 PM
petrice

My husband and I got married at the Mission Ranch in Carmel and it is fabulous. The rooms are $125-up and are all charming. I would recommend staying there, but if you cannot, at least go to the restaurant for dinner one night. They have a great piano bar and if you're lucky, Clint Eastwood will be sitting at the bar welcoming his guests.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 09:10 PM
Ann

Don't miss a visit to the Aquarium!! I Visited there just over a year ago and was blown away by the spectacular exhibits! Since then, they have added on even more stuff. Enjoy!