Monterey, CA: Need info.

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 10:22 AM
JR

Monterey, CA: Need info.

Want to spend a night in the Monterey area/Big Sur, enjoy the view and dinner somewhere. My husband and I are, unfortunately, on a budget . Can anyone recommend place/s to stay that run between $100 - $120? Thought about Salinas? Bed & Breakfasts are fine. Also...good eating places. Thanks for any info.

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 10:33 AM
David

To answer just part of your question, I don't think you're going to find very nice accomodations in Salinas. They're mostly of the "Motel 6" variety. (You can go to Microsoft Expedia to check on reservations, etc.) Rooms would definitely be cheap in Salinas, however, and it's only about 20 minutes from Monterey.

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 11:57 AM
Kat

It's not well known but the place to stay when visiting Monterey is Pacific Grove! In fact, most of the inns and B&B's in Pacific Grove are closer to the Monterey Bay Aquarium than their counterparts in Monterey. Check out Asimolar -- in a forest right on the beach, interesting and comfortable, very reasonable prices:
Asilomar Conference Center
800 Asilomar Blvd Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(408-372-8016)
Managed by the State of California, easy for individuals to get rooms even though it's billed as a "conference center." NOT, a huge, multistory tower but dozens of cottages and 'four-plexes' distributed throughout many forested acres.

Other options in Pacific Grove in your price range are:
The Gosby House Inn
643 Lighthouse Ave Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(408-375-1287)

The Green Gables Inn
104 5th St Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(408-375-2095)

Seven Gables Inn
555 Ocean View Blvd Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(408-372-4341)

Centrella Bed & Breakfast
612 Central Ave Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(408-372-3372)

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 04:13 PM
kam

You might also check with Inns by the Sea---it's a bunch of small hotels in Carmel and I think some might fit your budget--no view though. If the Seven Gables or Green Gables are in your price range, look no further--beautiful Victoriana across the street from the ocean near Lover's Beach. Pacific Grove is sometimes even more pleasant than the rest of the Peninsula in peak season. You can drive down into Big Sur easily from there but everything with a view is very pricey in Big Sur. Enjoy--Asilomar would be a good option too.

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 06:45 PM
Jackie

A real find is Sun Bay at Monterey(actually in Seaside).Located on Fort Ord property these very attactve units were built 5 yrs ago for up-graded officers.The units are mostly long term leases but about 50 are rented out to tourists.There is a lovely pool,tennis courts,indoor and outdooor jacuzzi and 2 racquetball courts.The units range from studio-to 2 bedroom/2bath.The prices are $l09-$179 depending on size and day of the week.There is 10%AARP &AAA discount.The only off
putting aspect is the need to drive up the hill past boarded up military housing but Sun Bay is
gated &attractively landscaped at the top of the hill.