Monterey Bay Kayaking

Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey Bay Kayaking

Will be in Monterey 3rd week of June. I have read that kayaking is good in the bay and other areas. Anyone have any experience with this. Guided or on your own? Which location is best, etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM

Look at the post "San Francisco and where else?" There's a comment there on the kayaking. All I know about it is what I've seen...very active, and LOTS of sea life. The other comment is from someone with personal experience.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, We are going there and I was reading that post. Hoped someone had some specific info. That post was what gave me the idea. Looks like there are several launching points.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
SAB

I've kayaked in Elkorn Slough, which was very enjoyable--got up close with some very friendly sea otters. I know you can rent kayaks there, and I assume there are guided tours. I was taken by a friend who is an avid kayaker. She used to work for a store in Monterey and give tours--Monterey Bay kayaks I think. However, I never went out on the Bay itself.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Monterey Bay Kayaks and Adventures by the Sea in Monterey both do a fine job. My experience was that Monterey Bay Kayaks was a little more detailed in their instruction before you head out on the bay. They have guided tours or you can go out on your own. Single or tandem kayaks.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved it. It was one of my favorite travel memories. We just walked down to the shop, they gave us an overview and we paddled out.
http://www.montereybaykayaks.com/Hos...ayak%20Rentals

The best part was paddling and watching the sea otters play and float on their backs. I paddled out a bit away from my group and just drifted. The magical part was a sea otter sliding up on the bow to take a look at me. Pure magic!
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM

I also kayaked Monterey Bay and really enjoyed ! We did the guided tour- saw lots of otters and sea lions and of course lots of birds
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM

We rented with Adventures by the Sea, they offer single or doubles. We had a great time and this outfitter is very helpful. They are located right in Cannery Row across from the Monterey Plaza Hotel. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking Elkhorn Slough might be the best bet.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wm

We have kayaked both the Elkhorn Slough and the Monterey Bay. Elkhorn Slough was more enjoyable as it isn't as windy and can be a bit more mellow experience. The bay is also great, but the fog and wind can come in pretty quickly. Early morning on a clear day would be best for both places--wind kicks up by 3 pm most days.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM
SAB

I think you will enjoy Elkhorn Slough--it's not on the typical tourist track and as Wm has stated it is a somewhat mellow experience.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM

I've not kayaked Elkhorn Slough but totally loved our kayak trip on the bay. There were only a few of us on the water on the time and it did not feel "touristy" at all. In fact, it was a great way to get out and about in nature. We didn't have any problems with wind or fog. We were there in July for a business meeting and went kayaking on our free afternoon. It was a short walk and a few minutes from the hotel to the kayaks and a wonderful experience. I'm sure Elkhorn Slough is nice, but the bay was as well.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM
SAB

starrs I was not implying that kayaking on Monterey Bay was a touristy activity or that it is not a nice activity. One activity is not better than the other, just different. However as spiro has indicated that he was thinking about Elkhorn I was merely letting him know that a visit to Elkhorn is not necessarily on the tourist track. OK?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I was sharing that I did not encounter wind nor fog nor felt the bay experience felt touristy. The previous two posts seemed to indicate those could be problems on the bay. We did not find that to be true. We were there on a July afternoon.
As I said in my post "I'm sure Elkhorn Slough is nice, but the bay was as well."
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM

My husband and I love Monterey, but have never kayaked. We're in our late 60s and would like some confirmation that it'd be fun for us, too! I walk and jog and my husband plays golf, but no one would consider us particularly athletic. We're not hiking people.

What would you suggest for us?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Susan, kayaking is easy. You'll get some instruction on how to sit in the kayak, paddle, etc. but it's very easy for a first-timer to do. You don't have to paddle far and it's just so relaxing and the otters are amazing to watch.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM

okay, starrs, here's really silly question (and if I hadn't had several glasses of wine I wouldn't ask it). We've watched the sea otters and have found them delightful...but from afar. They're really BIG! So, do we need to be concerned whether they'll tip over the kayaks?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Are you thinking about sea lions?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_otter

Anyway, I was told that it's very rare for them to make contact with the kayak. The one that slipped up on the bow was about the size of my little pup. I didn't have any concerns about the kayak tipping.

Now, the alligator that was mad when we got too close to her kits...that's a different story! But, that was another time and place.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:21 AM

thanks! We'll give it a try!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information