Monterey area lodging

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
kay kelly

Monterey area lodging

We're planning a trip for the end of May with a 12 and 16 year old. Plan to fly into San Francisco on Sat and drive to Monterey and spend two nights. Drive to Tenaya at south ent. to yosemite and spend 1 night see lower end of park and then spend next 3 nights at Yosemite View. Then drive back to San Francisco Friday spend night before flight home. We're considering Best Western Monterey Beach but seems like I saw a negative posting somewhere. Has anyone stayed there recently or have better idea. Have $129 rate. Most of reccomendations I've seen are for romantic inns and B&B's. With kids we were looking more for comfortable rooms with tv heated pool etc. Any advice appreciated.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 01:08 PM
terri

We took our 13 yr old daughter to SF in June 1999. We stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge, it was great. The room was large and the view of the raging river (right outside the sliding door) was fantastic. The food however, was awful. Don't count on much around the hotel. As for the Best Western Monterey, it was okay. The corridors are all outside, so get one on the beach to watch the great sunsets. Don't take a room below the restaurant, you will hear the chairs being dragged across the hardwood floors everynight at closing. It really isn't much of a hotel, but it was the only one we found directly on the beach.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 01:57 PM
xxx

There's are DoubleTree and Embassy Suites hotels in Monterey which would be suitable for family travels.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Jim Lloyd

I was in Monterey a while ago with my family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Monterey Bay (Seaside, CA). It is probably the best Embassy Suites Hotel that I've seen and was rated this also by Embassy Suites Hotels. It is located only about two blocks from the beach, it has a spectacular 12 story atrium (with glass elevators) the rooms all of which are suites overlook the ocean/bay, they have a full breakfast and evening social daily. In addition, the hotel has a nice indoor pool and whirlpool as well as a sundeck surrounded by plants.

The Marriott Monterey Bay is also a good hotel to look at if you want to stay Downtown Monterey, however I found Embassy Suites a better value when considering all the amenities (Breakfast, social, suites, kitchen...)

Embassy Suites Monterey:

http://www.mbay.net/~embassy/

http://www.embassy-suites.com/HotelI...HOME&pid=MRYES

I hope this is of some help! If you have any more questions about these hotels (Embassy Suites or Marriott) feel free to post them.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:02 AM
phil

Jim , funny you should mention the Embassy Suites Monterey . A great place. We will be there next week at $150 a night.

The books have the knife out for this place. I have read comments that the rooms are smallish ,the hotel doesn't fit in with the environment , yadda yadda . It only gets a 2 star rating . I am an Embassy fan if you can get a deal . $150 a night for this hotel is a deal . The artsie fartsie B&B's leave me cold .

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Owen O'Neill

My daughter and I were thinking of staying there on a Monterey trip 7 years ago but discovered that our room would face away from the ocean - price at that time was close to what you're being quoted now. We stayed instead at a place whos name escapes me but it was a few miles north of Monterey (perhaps an Econolodge or Comfort Inn?). It was on the right as one drives in towards Monterey and had a heated outdoor jacuzzi and a decent continental breakfast (Hampton Inn style - toast, muffins, cereal juice etc.). Best part was that a short walk on a trail (several hundred yards) took us over a dune to a huge sandy beach. there's a service there that offers hangliding lessons and rentals. The constant breeze alows them to offer a tethered hangliding experience at relatively low heights above the water (in my mind the only way to try out the sport safely). there are several motels on that strip -m even if you don't stay there the kids might enjoy the hang gliding experience.