monastery in the desert New mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can anyonn tell me about this place? If we make a day trip to Abiqiu, is this worth a stop? The name itselfs intrigues me....

Also - where would you do lunch in this area?
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM

I would check www.sfreporter.com or www.localflavormagazine.com for Abiquiu restaurants. The last time I was up that way my son and I ate at Lotaburger in Espanola. Of course, if you're in the mood for a really good green chile cheeseburger, you can't go wrong there!

Lee Ann
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:01 AM

There is a store called Bode's in Abiquiu that has great burritos and chicken enchiladas. Kind of a quaint little store - tack store and groceries, too!! It is about 10 minutes south of Ghost Ranch and close to Georgia O'Keefe's home.

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

mmm-mmm-mmm!!!

And what about the monastery? Is it worth the 45-60 minute trip, one way, on the dusty road? Is the scenery more impressive that what you would find elsewhere?

One of my focuses on this trip is to see many of the mission churches along the way wherever we are heading, so I do have an interest in the religious aspect of this site as well, not just the scenery. Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I have been interested in this palce fro a while. I read an article a bout it and the autrho said that you need to stay 2 days if you plan to stay overnight.

I"ve hard its quite interesting--dont know about just goin to visit.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

I think we will just wait and see how we are running for time that day. If we feel like an extended ride, we will check it out - I did see some pictures online which were quite nice, scenery-wise. I know there is a small gift shop with religious articles. While I totally understand that tourism is not their main focus, it seems that a gift shop would imply servicing visitors. I guess I just surprised it is listed as area attraction on several websites, but there is little information to be had on it. I'll let you know when we return!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Sad to say, we did not make it here - or to Abiqui. We had done so much riding from Sun-Tues, we decided to lay low on Wednesday, since we were planning on Bandolier and the Jemez Mountain Trail on our way to ABQ.......if any one does go here, I'd love to hear about it!!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Hi Paulalou, I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have recommended going to the Christ in the Desert Monastery. I went a year ago and it is truly a beautiful place.

After driving around Abiquiu all morning, and having a great lunch at the Abiquiu Inn, we found the road leading to the monastery. It's easy to miss and we passed it a few times. (If I remember right, it's just south of Echo Ampitheatre off the main road, and it's not marked well.)

It took about 45 minutes to get there from the main road, even though it's only 13 miles. The road is all dirt with many twists and turns so you could not go fast at all. There were several times when I wondered if we were even on the right road.

The road travels along a river and with the cottonwood tree leaves changing colors, it was quite scenic. All of a sudden, the road opens up to the monastery, which, like almost everything else in New Mexico, is made of Adobe.

The backdrop was a spectacular jagged-edged mountain with a very steep drop off. At the very top were three white crosses and to this day, I have no clue how they got them there - unless there's a back way. With the soft lines of the monastery, the sharp edges of the mountains, and the dark blue New Mexican skies, those crosses looked like they were almost glowing. It was quite impressive!

There is a bookstore on site, rooms you can rent, the monastery housing, and the chapel. It was almost eerily quiet around there - at least until the bell rang, signifying service was about to begin. You are allowed to go inside the chapel and participate in services if you wish. It's open at other times during the day as well.

One of the things I remember about this place was that while we were there, there was some construction happening near one of the buildings. On the back of one of the worker's truck was one of those naked lady stickers. The contrast between that, the monks, and the chapel made me laugh so of course, I had to photograph the back of the truck with the monastery in the background!

It's definitely worth the drive, but plan on at least a 3-hour journey to get there & back, plus have time to visit. Hope you can make it there sometime!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

We definitely plan to return to NM, so we will definitely go there, and to the Echo Ampitheatre, next time around. I laughed at the image the truck bumper created in my mind!!! I also take those kinds of pictures....I know it is a regional thing, but the "SPEED HUMPS, 20 mph" signs made me laugh...we have speed BUMPS in Massachusetts. I have two 20-something year old sons. When they saw that photo of the sign, they thought it was hysterical! Young minds....... =)
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Ha ha! Paulalou, we have speed BUMP signs here in Michigan too, and I have photos of the NM speed HUMP signs also. They made me laugh! I must have a young mind too - or a warped sense of humor at least!

I also have a photo of one of the cow crossing signs (that are EVERYWHERE!) with bullet holes all through it. It just hit me a hilarious for some reason.