Moab Utah scenic flight tours?

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab Utah scenic flight tours?

Has anyone taken one of these?

Which company? Please tell me about it. Was it worth it?

Jeannie
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

tt
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Jeannie,

Slickrock Air Guides is the scenic flight and charter air that flys out of Moab airport. I am not a person that believes in "seeing" our Natl Parks from the air, but I have to admit that the 1 hour flight I had was a fabulous experience! Amazing, beautiful. The owner took me up and it was a real treat.

There are multiple types of tours available and the pilots know their stuff. A wonderful way to see a different perspective on some places you might never see otherwise.

Highly recommend. Weather does play a part so try to have some flexibility in your schedule. Early mornings would normally be best during summer thunderstorm season (July - mid Sept).
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:21 AM

My daughter and I used Slickrock air. We flew in a 4 passenger small plane. A 65ish year old man (who looked like he ran the Boston Marathon on a daily basis) was our pilot. He happened to be retired Chief Park Ranger for Canyonlands, so he knew what he was talking about. He gave us some insight about park rangers as this is somthing my 13 year old daughter naturally finds interesting as a career. He talked to us throughout the entire flight about what we were seeing. We did the hour tour over canyonlands. This is really the only way to see Canyonlands without several weeks of hiking. We pretty much flew over the entire park, seeing much of all three districts. We saw several arches (Angel Arch would have been my favorite). The Chocolate Drops looked really really cool from the air. You get a real understanding of The Maze District. Looking back, I wonder if we missed out on not doing a 2 or 3 hour tour that continue on to Lake Powell and Monument Valley. The 1 hour was definately worth doing. I think we paid around $300 for the two of us. It might have been a little less than that. I felt as if I should have tipped him, but I didn't. I never really know what to do on unique tours like this. It is already expensive, and it was just an hour. I like it when the website of a compant gives you an idea of what and how much to tip. I know as a general rule of thumb you tip if the person doesn't own the business.

If you are into adventure, a favorite thing we did was Canyoneering while @ Arches. It isn't expensive. If you want me to explain our tour of that further let me know. We took a bicycle tour also. Also did the Hummer tour. The hummer tour is not for the faint of heart. Very Scary. We hiked pretty much every major hike in Arches. Even the 7 mile primitive loop. Moab and the NP's is still etched into my mind. You will thoroughly enjoy it.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle & spirobulldog,

I thought the plane tour sounded like a wonderful overlook of the fantastic geology of the whole Colorado River and plateau.

I have really bad nerve damage in my legs and feet with rheumatoid arthritis on top of that. So, I really can't hike or ski anymore. And being in the high elevations seemed to be a problem also. God, I wish.

We've been to Moab a couple of times touring from Michigan on my husbands motorcycle though the west. (All the way to California last time) and still haven't seen everything we wanted that you can see from just the roads.

I can still do that, I think, although I have to stop allot and get off (or out of a car) and get the spasms out of my legs and back. And traveling in the early morning before dawn and missing the afternoon thunderstorms in July is very important. Although we still get caught now and then.

And the last time we were in Moab it was raining! They said the monsoons had started early. I think sometimes we are the rain bringers. That’s what the Navaho in Monument Valley told us when we were there a few years ago. We did bring the rain with us then also. I got some fantastic pictures of rainbows over the monuments.

Jeannie

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Each type of weather has it's own beauty, si?