Moab, Utah car rental question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we are heading to Moab mid april of 08 to mainly hike. Are most of the hiking trails (for day hikes) in the moab area and also traveling up Rt. 12 to Moab accessible with just a regular car? Should I rent an all wheel or 4WD? We don't plan to do the 4WD routes in Moab on our own. This is mainly to get to hikes and scenic drives. We are driving to Moab from Las Vegas and plan to go up Rt. 12 - stay there a night or so and do a little hiking in that area on our way. Just don't want to miss something great!
Thanks,
sue
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I think you should be fine with a regular car to get to parking areas for hikes and general driving. Good idea to not try and do 4wheel drives on your own.

Debi
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Hi Sue!

No, you don't need a 4x4 for the highways between the Natl Parks and Moab. Hwy 12 is fine and great scenery.

You might want to do some hiking in the Escalante Staircase / Boulder area. There are some great ones! Boulder Mountain Lodge is a very nice place to stay, but I understand there are also some nice B&Bs in Escalante.

Hiking in the Moab area is also great. If you want to take a 4x4 tour off road, ask what type of vehicle they use. Some others visitors have complained that they were in the back seat of a big Suburban and didn't have good views out the windows.

When in April are you visiting? Don't go to Moab during the week before Easter. It's the jeep safari and there are thousands and thousands of off roaders cramming the town.

I'm excited for you!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Easter is in March so we are safe. I seem to remember people posting here about some scenic drives in the Escalante/Capitol Reef area that involve dirt roads. Are those advisable to do in April and would I need 4WD for that?
sue
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Sue,

I would take a 4x4 for any unpaved roads, even the graded dirt or gravel roads. Extremely important to check with the visitor's center regarding road difficulty, conditions and weather before setting out. They will tell you up to date and accurate information.

A 4x4 will cost you a lot more in rental fees and gas. Also, the rental agency may not insure you for off road use.