Moab and Canyonlands with Kids Trip Report

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab and Canyonlands with Kids Trip Report

We took advantage of the President's Day Weekend and unseasonably warm temps and drove down to Moab for the weekend. I was very glad to go but this was a total last minute idea and I was extremely fortunate to find a hotel room 2 days before we left--the rest of the Wasatch Front was going to Moab too!!

Our kids are 9 and 12 and this is something like their 5th trip to Moab. It was free National Parks weekend so we knew Arches would be crowded. We snagged what I swear was the last room in town--a King room at the Holiday Inn Express. I usually prefer to stay closer in town but I didn't have a choice. At least this room had a fridge and a microwave and the fold out couch/bed wasn't bad to sleep on. The pool was closed, but we had a good soak in the hot tub. Breakfast was good and the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon were a plus. We drove down after DH got done with work at 8pm, which actually turned out to be fine. I can only imagine what the traffic would have been like between 4-6 pm.

The first day, we went to Fisher Towers. DH and I had been once--the kids had never been. I love the place because it is a cross between some Star Wars set and rock climbing heaven and gorgeous scenery. It had been years since I had been on Rte 128--gads it is beautiful. We had a fun hike to the half way mark--the Temple, or whatever the one giant tower is called. It was a longer hike due to the need to stop and explore and scramble and find rocks and pet all the dogs that walked by and....Let's just say that hiking with children of ANY age is all about the journey, not the destination!! We mentioned something about Dead Horse Point and the kids said they really wanted to go, so we drove over there. We had hiked enough, so we didn't park at the visitors center and walk to the point--we just drove up there. I don't do heights anyway and that park always gives me the heebees, so I was fine with that. While DH and I enjoyed the views, the kids scrambled on the rocks well back from the edge.

The next day, it was colder, so we headed for Canyonlands to do some sight seeing. The kids had never been to Cayonlands--now they have been to all 5 Utah National Parks. I love adding a new National Park to our list every year and this was easy! We stopped at Newspaper Rock, which I thought would be quick. But they decided to be mountain goats and scramble to the top of the hill to the right of the rock. (there is a trail that goes up there) They had lots of fun. (my kids are well versed in crypto biotic soil and know very well not to "bust the crust". There was so much exposed slick rock that they had a great time scrambling.) Then we stopped at the Roadside Ruin, which is a granary tucked under an overhang. Not very fun because you can't go up to it. Some day I will drag them with me to the backcountry sites where you can get up close. Then we hiked Slickrock Point/Foot Trail. That has truly stunning views--absolutely awesome and is fun to hike in and among the sandstone toad stools and cap rocks. We just hiked to Viewpoint 3 and turned back the way we came. I really liked that hike. On the way back, we had to make a stop at the Moab Rock Shop--which is really worth it. I love that place!

Restaurants were a bit tricky this time of year. Many places don't open till March or this was their first weekend open. There were all the people in town for free parks weekend plus a big trail race. We decided to stick with our usual strategy of take out. We got dinner the first night from Eddie McStiffs, which is always serviceable. Had something for everybody. And the second night, we got take out from the Blu Pig--I had never eaten there. We had really good burgers! We always have breakfast at the Red Rock bakery and cafe. Great coffee, amazing baked goods--I love that place!!

On the third day, it was getting much colder and we just needed to get home, get unpacked, and get ready for the week ahead. It was good to leave at 10:00--the traffic wasn't too bad. All in all, it was a great weekend and a nice fix of red rock scenery!!
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You always have such great adventures. Thank for reporting!
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 03:45 AM

Sounds like fun for the kids and you. Next time you go to the Needles district of Canyonlands, take them to Cowboy came/Cave spring. I bet they would like seeing the things the cowboys left and walking through cave spring and up the ladder to the trail back to the parking area.

Thanks for the report.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

emalloy--Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe I left that part out!!! duh. I was thinking to myself--didn't we hike something else? Yes--we loved, loved, loved the Cave Spring hike. So much fun. The cowboy camp was cool, but it was even more fun hiking along under the overhangs and seeing all the seeps plus all of the animal tracks left in the sand--mice, beetles, lizards, birds, and some sort of cat like animal with bigger, but not giant paws. Climbing the ladders was fun and my kids had a blast on top with all the slickrock. That is a great trail for all ages!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 04:53 AM

Sounds like a fun trip - thanks for the report. I was about to mention Cowboy Camp/Cave Spring too! Such a fun short hike with lots to see. Love the handprints on the cave walls, climbing the ladders and the beautiful views. The whole needles area is pretty special - our long hike through Chesler Park and the Joint Trail was incredible.

If you make it down there again, Shay Canyon has some amazing ruins and rock art that are only a short hike from the road. As you head toward Newspaper Rock, Shay is on the left just before NRock. Definitely worth the time. We are looking forward to exploring more of the treasures located along the road into Needles. Thanks again for the report!
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

sharondi--my husband and I had a great car camping/hiking trip in Needles pre-kids and hiking Chesler Park ranks as one of my all time favorite hikes ever. I will have to look at Shay Canyon. I had no idea that the entire Indian Creek Recreation Area is like the number 1 place in the world for "crack climbing" so that's why all the rock climbers. I was wondering what there was to do/see for us lowly hikers And I am always looking for something new since we do get down to southern Utah twice a year (at least!).