Reload this Page >

Mission Hostel San Fran.

Search

Mission Hostel San Fran.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:59 AM
silvie

Mission Hostel San Fran.

My boyfriend and I are going on a trip to CA in Sept. I booked a room in this hostel in the mission district - does anybody know this hostel?? Is the area okay??? We have a rental car - is it better to use the public transportation and leave the car at the hotel?? Thanks for all the advice - I just love this forum...

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:45 AM
silvie

hy...can anyone help with my questions...

thx...

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:27 AM
silvie

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Kate

I'm not familiar with the hostel.

If you plan to stay within the city limits, you don't need a car. However, if you'd like to go over to Muir Woods (highly recommended), the Marin Headlands, the Napa Valley, or down to Monterey, you'll need a car.

Don't miss the Alcatraz Night Tour -- spooky atmosphere, beautiful views, great special tours. (Buy tix a week in advance at 415-705-5555).

Have fun!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:36 AM
janis

The Mission is pretty spotty - perhaps an SF resident can tell you about this specific block. It is probably OK. However - have you checked that they even have a parking lot? Few hotels in SF, let alone hostels have parking and if they do it is very expensive. And street parking is impossible. You do not need, nor want, a car in SF - terrible traffic, expensive parking and really steep hills. I drive there all the time but would never recommend someone not familiar with the area try it.

As for going to Marin w/o a car - even that is easy, what with the choice of ferries, guided tours, bike rentals, etc.

Maybe the money saved by not renting a car could allow you to upgrade the hotel a little.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:46 PM
DougD

I've been to SF a few times, and I don't believe the Mission district is the best place to be - a little rough. If you want a very charming inexpensive hotel in a good area, check out the San Remo in North Beach.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:00 PM
amber

sylvie,

if you can find somewhere else to stay, i would go for the alternative. although the mission is an interesting place with great restaurants and nightlife, it is considered to be one of the "bad" parts of town. i've never heard of the hostel you've mentioned in particular, but i concur with the above posters in my opinion that it's not very safe in some parts. i venture into the mission on a regular basis for dinner and to visit a bar or club. i rarely walk too far, and always drive or cab in/out. i don't want to make it sound like you're going to be mugged them minute you step foot in that district, but as a stranger to the area, i would follow the "better safe than sorry" line of reasoning. the surroundings of a street can change dramatically within the space of 5 or 10 blocks, which makes it difficult when you're unfamiliar with the district. as for a rental car, you can pretty much get around in the city easily without your own vehicle, so long as you're not in a big hurry (buses/cable cars on some routes are sometimes inconsistent/full depending on the time). plus, the parking situation in some areas is awful and some lot prices border on insanity. anyways, hope this helps.